Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Select fire gauss gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    cabinetguy
    Release the Cabinets!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Sep 2010
    • 12659

    awesome. I see someone with a DOD contract soon

    Comment

    • #17
      Maltese Falcon
      Ordo Militaris Templi
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2009
      • 6752

      Originally posted by Moemoe1
      He should use ball bearings instead of those projectiles because they are tumbling, comment I saw on YouTube "I can imagine this getting into the wrong hands and killing innocent people" smh stupid antis just don't want progress smh
      Perfect as a shotgun...maybe steel shot 410, yes?

      .

      Comment

      • #18
        hermosabeach
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19836

        I recall the rail gun concept and to replace a 20mm projo you needed enough power to run the city of San Diego stored in capacitors.

        Maybe new technology has fixed the power issue.
        Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

        Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

        Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

        Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
        (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

        Comment

        • #19
          Wallabing
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 1499

          Caseless ammunition will probally come sooner.

          rail guns with current tech takes too much power.

          Comment

          • #20
            Moemoe1
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 1571

            This would really be a cool shotgun! Seriously I would buy one lol you know a little bit off topic but you know how he mentioned that the electro current moves the projectile forward? What if cars on the freeway where like that. No wheels or anything just magnetic force pushing them forward at high rate of speeds, won't it be safer and more efficient for people to get to work like that. Like the actually freeway will be a magnetic conductor and the vehicle the "projectile"

            Comment

            • #21
              Peter.Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2010
              • 7351

              Would have done better to work with BB's.

              Maybe when I've got some free time to work with ...




              Originally posted by hermosabeach
              I recall the rail gun concept and to replace a 20mm projo you needed enough power to run the city of San Diego stored in capacitors.

              Maybe new technology has fixed the power issue.



              Coil guns and rail guns are two entirely different concepts.
              NRA Life Member

              No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                meaty-btz
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 8980

                The design is non-optimal due to his projectile length. A coil gun pack only pulls to it's center. Each coil optimally is designed to trigger and rise to full strength just as the projectile is entering the beginning of that coil. It then needs to shut off before the projectile cross the center point of the coil pack or the magnetic forces will act as a brake on the velocity of the projectile.

                It is more efficient to have a gap between acceleration cycles representative of 50% of barrel length than it is to have a projectile cross the centerline and start to be slowed.
                Unless you are using some of the very advanced designs as currently used by the government a coil gun is limited to a 50% barrel length acceleration cycle.

                No reversing the poles on the packs do not enable you to overcome the 50% limiter, a coil pack pulls from both ends towards it's center point.

                If I still had a working brain I could whip one up for you guys.

                @Peter, I still have a 2000 amp solid state relay if you need it, worth about 1200 bucks.
                ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

                Comment

                • #23
                  sigstroker
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 19876

                  Originally posted by Moemoe1
                  This would really be a cool shotgun! Seriously I would buy one lol you know a little bit off topic but you know how he mentioned that the electro current moves the projectile forward? What if cars on the freeway where like that. No wheels or anything just magnetic force pushing them forward at high rate of speeds, won't it be safer and more efficient for people to get to work like that. Like the actually freeway will be a magnetic conductor and the vehicle the "projectile"
                  Yeah that would work great if you only put one car on the road at a time.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Peter.Steele
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 7351

                    Originally posted by meaty-btz
                    @Peter, I still have a 2000 amp solid state relay if you need it, worth about 1200 bucks.


                    Might be interested in that at some point.

                    I think I'll probably do a railgun before I do a coilgun, but I could probably use a relay like that in switching either setup. Could get a REALLY long acceleration out of a railgun with two cap banks ... hmm ... flux drops from the first one, trigger the relay and fire the second ...

                    gotta think about this one some more.
                    NRA Life Member

                    No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      TNP'R
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2010
                      • 7832

                      Needs more power. I'll be interested when they shoot it at a range because its to powerful to shoot inside a house.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        meaty-btz
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 8980

                        Originally posted by Peter.Steele
                        Might be interested in that at some point.

                        I think I'll probably do a railgun before I do a coilgun, but I could probably use a relay like that in switching either setup. Could get a REALLY long acceleration out of a railgun with two cap banks ... hmm ... flux drops from the first one, trigger the relay and fire the second ...

                        gotta think about this one some more.
                        I got it years ago and used them in a few of my projects. I used to have more. Lost more than a few to catastrophic failures of a few of my designs that were way over energized.

                        I've got one left now and it's been gathering dust. I have been having a hankering for some high energy projects again but my mind just isn't working so I am out of this game for the foreseeable future.



                        Also have some fiberoptic controls and fiber and some optical switches, fairly fast ones.
                        Attached Files
                        ...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Bruce
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 2183

                          Needs a Mr. Fusion.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1