Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How Much to Check Upper?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    loweredxtreme
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 64

    Decided to just have the headspace checked, since that would be the most important element to fail. The rest I can figure out of my own. LoL

    Thanks for all the input!

    Comment

    • #17
      JDay
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 19393

      Originally posted by loweredxtreme
      I personally do not want them to break it down because that would mean my work was for nothing other than a learning experience I guess then.
      If the rifle functions properly I wouldn't take it to a smith, they will have to tear it down to properly check everything. As long as you torqued everything down properly you should not have any issues with it.

      Originally posted by loweredxtreme
      My only concern was when I tested the Go/No Go, the end result was the same. My BCG never sat flush when running the MIN. On all the videos I watched, it was supposed too.
      That gauge is not needed when using new parts, especially when they're quality parts. If your gas tube is properly installed (not catching on the gas key, lined up with the gas port) and the parts are torqued down properly your rifle is good to go. If it's not lined up with the gas port properly the rifle just won't cycle.
      Last edited by JDay; 04-26-2013, 4:10 PM.
      Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

      The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

      Comment

      • #18
        foxtrotuniformlima
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 3461

        When you cycle the firearm by hand ( empty ), does the hammer drop when the trigger is pulled ? Hold the trigger down and hand cycle again. Does the trigger reset and fire again ?

        If so, I'd say you are GTG.

        As far as the gauges are concerned, it should close on the Go gauge. Does it ?

        I am not a big fan of them closing on the No-Go gauge but if it does, it is not the end of the world, just means your brass will stretch and the accuracy may not be superb.

        When you run the Magpul dummy in, will the hammer drop ?
        Anyone press will hear the fat lady sing.

        Originally posted by Vin Scully
        Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
        Originally posted by William James
        I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
        Originally posted by BigPimping
        When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
        .

        Comment

        • #19
          Trriemferent
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2012
          • 1252

          Im not sure how close you are to rifle gear but they charge $35 to build an upper with the parts you give them. I cant imagine it would cost too much to just inspect your work for you. http://www.riflegear.com/p-1001-guns...-assembly.aspx

          Comment

          • #20
            CBruce
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 1993

            Originally posted by loweredxtreme
            Hey Guys,

            I had a quick question on what a shop usually charges to take a look at an upper.

            I just recently build my AR this past weekend (first build for me) and I functioned tested everything along the way. Build went well.

            However, my family is showing a little concern and even though I am confident this thing is built correctly and to spec, they want me to take it to a gunsmith to verify.

            Any idea on how much something like that costs?

            Thanks!
            Other than headspace, what would you need to have checked in an upper? All of the function checks are concerned with the fire controls in the lower.

            Might ping Jason_2111 and see if he'll check it out for you.
            Last edited by CBruce; 04-26-2013, 6:53 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              bassbones
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 642

              I can meet you at metcaf almost anytime. I travel between Monterey and Patterson 6 days a week..

              Comment

              • #22
                loweredxtreme
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 64

                I just had the head space checked as that was my only concern. I knew 99.9% that is was fine, but to make my family happy I paid the stupid $25 to have it verified.

                Comment

                • #23
                  SMarquez
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 2216

                  I was quoted $15 to check head space at a LGS. Other than that, I feel confident about my build. So simple. It felt like Legos for grownups.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Beelzy
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 9225

                    Originally posted by SMarquez
                    I was quoted $15 to check head space at a LGS. Other than that, I feel confident about my build. So simple. It felt like Legos for grownups.
                    That would be Mattel.........lol.
                    "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      killmime1234
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 1536

                      Well at least you feel comfortable now.

                      The only dangerous problem headspacing reveals is whether you have too much headspace, which might result in a catostrophic case-head separation. The "NO GO" gauge is the one that is important for this.

                      The "GO" headspace gauge is kind of useless, in my opinion. If an actual bullet fits in, then obviously your headspace isn't too tight!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        loweredxtreme
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 64

                        Originally posted by killmime1234
                        Well at least you feel comfortable now.

                        The only dangerous problem headspacing reveals is whether you have too much headspace, which might result in a catostrophic case-head separation. The "NO GO" gauge is the one that is important for this.

                        The "GO" headspace gauge is kind of useless, in my opinion. If an actual bullet fits in, then obviously your headspace isn't too tight!

                        Agree....now that I had it checked and passed..time to test this bad boy out!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          biglou
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2007
                          • 1317

                          Sounds like you did everything right. Just fire one round at a time for a few shots to make sure everything operates fine. Feed, lock, extract, eject, blah blah.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            sigstroker
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 19897

                            Originally posted by loweredxtreme
                            I just had the head space checked as that was my only concern. I knew 99.9% that is was fine, but to make my family happy I paid the stupid $25 to have it verified.
                            Good job! That's one of the few things that could have been dangerous.

                            Be sure it cycles correctly when fully assembled. Make certain you keep the trigger pulled throughout the cycling to see if the disconnector works properly.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1