Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How Much to Check Upper?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • loweredxtreme
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 64

    How Much to Check Upper?

    Hey Guys,

    I had a quick question on what a shop usually charges to take a look at an upper.

    I just recently build my AR this past weekend (first build for me) and I functioned tested everything along the way. Build went well.

    However, my family is showing a little concern and even though I am confident this thing is built correctly and to spec, they want me to take it to a gunsmith to verify.

    Any idea on how much something like that costs?

    Thanks!
  • #2
    spdrcr
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 2108

    I suppose it is possible they would look it over for free depending on the shop and how thoroughly you want it checked.

    Gunsmithing charges in my area run $75/hour and are charged in 15 minute increments.

    I'd guess a gunsmith could probably break it down and completely reassemble it in an hour if that was what you were looking for.

    Comment

    • #3
      loweredxtreme
      Junior Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 64

      I personally do not want them to break it down because that would mean my work was for nothing other than a learning experience I guess then. Not much self gratification in that! LoL.

      I can cycle through the Magpul dummy round just fine.

      Just not sure a Gunsmith would "okay it" without doing what you mentioned...breaking it completely down

      Comment

      • #4
        motox917
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 532

        Where are you located? I'm sure a calgunner in your area wouldn't mind going over it for ya. If your near Bakersfield I can check it out, I'm no gunsmith but I've put quite a few AR's together
        Originally posted by mike415stone
        Personnel insults, it's down to that low a level. Why not try insulting my mom while your at it.
        Originally posted by nine mil thrill
        ok....what is her first name...??
        Originally posted by mike415stone
        What are you... like 5 years old or something?

        Comment

        • #5
          Blue
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 8071

          If you bought a prebuilt upper there's really nothing that needs to be checked in my opinion. Functionality may become an issue if you mixed up some springs in the lower, but it wouldn't be unsafe. Just load two rounds into the mag the first time you take a shot so if it burps you're not dumping all 10.
          Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
          Let my aim be true and my hand faster
          than those who would seek to destroy me.
          Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
          Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
          And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
          sigpic
          NRA Member

          Comment

          • #6
            loweredxtreme
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 64

            I am located in San Jose

            My only concern was when I tested the Go/No Go, the end result was the same. My BCG never sat flush when running the MIN. On all the videos I watched, it was supposed too.

            However, I am thinking it was the gauge as it did not sit flush in my brothers AR nor my friends factory built S&W

            Comment

            • #7
              loweredxtreme
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 64

              Originally posted by Blue
              If you bought a prebuilt upper there's really nothing that needs to be checked in my opinion. Functionality may become an issue if you mixed up some springs in the lower, but it wouldn't be unsafe. Just load two rounds into the mag the first time you take a shot so if it burps you're not dumping all 10.
              I built this piece by piece, not factory built.

              I am running a Spikes Upper, Spikes Lothar Wyde Barrel, and a WMD BCG. I wanted to make sure to build a quality AR

              Comment

              • #8
                loweredxtreme
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 64

                If a dummy round can cycle through it, would one be okay to assume it functions correctly?

                Comment

                • #9
                  spdrcr
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 2108

                  Originally posted by loweredxtreme
                  If a dummy round can cycle through it, would one be okay to assume it functions correctly?
                  Well, there's no pressure generated by cycling a dummy round through it. You'll only be able to test full function by actually firing a live round.


                  ETA: When you say you built this upper do you mean you installed the bolt carrier group and charging handle into an assembled upper receiver group or did you purchase a stripped upper receiver, a stripped barrel assembly, a gas block, gas tube, barrel nut, etc and assemble all of that yourself?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    loweredxtreme
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 64

                    Originally posted by spdrcr
                    Well, there's no pressure generated by cycling a dummy round through it. You'll only be able to test full function by actually firing a live round.


                    ETA: When you say you built this upper do you mean you installed the bolt carrier group and charging handle into an assembled upper receiver group or did you purchase a stripped upper receiver, a stripped barrel assembly, a gas block, gas tube, barrel nut, etc and assemble all of that yourself?
                    I purchased everything separate and built from the ground up. The only thing that came assembled was the WMD BCG which I did the Go - No-Go (headspace) test on.

                    As mentioned above, that was the only thing I was second guessing. Because trying to run the GO NO-GO gauge was giving me the same result on both. When placing the MIN , my BCG would not sit flush when fully engaged. Per video tutoirals it is supposed to. But I also used these gauges on 2 other ARs in which one was also build from the floor up and one was factory S&W. The result was the same through out. So I am thinking the gauges were not manufactured correctly

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      loweredxtreme
                      Junior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 64

                      Gas Block is Spikes Adjustable, WMD Gas Tube, Daniel Defense Omega X Rails, Spikes Lothar Wyde barrel....

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        loweredxtreme
                        Junior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 64

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Elwood_Blues
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 2395

                          How did you mount vise to your bed?
                          Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting
                          We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
                          Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            loweredxtreme
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 64

                            Originally posted by Elwood_Blues
                            How did you mount vise to your bed?
                            Vise was mounted on table during the build and then removed to bring down to floor for picture

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              RickRyder
                              Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 372

                              Sack up and test fire it! If you are feeling uneasy, take the first few shots with the weapon held away from your body.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1