Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

3D Gun Printing Website Seized by DHS

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393

    "We now have the technology where you can go into an office products store, buy a 3D printer for a couple thousand dollars, and manufacture components for deadly weapons," he said on Monday. "Those deadly weapons, because they're plastic, can be brought onto any plane in America."
    I wonder if he really believes what he is saying. None of the parts that are subjected to heat and/or high pressure can be made out of plastic. I doubt we ever will have plastics that barrels and bolts can be made out of.

    His bill would not interfere with the distribution of 3D printing designs, but would prohibit the sale of actual plastic guns or magazines themselves.
    Is he amending the law to ban Pmags? I don't see how that will fly.

    "They have the right to download digital files, they have the right to share these blueprints, but they shouldn't have the right to help the bad guys bring plastic weapons, plastic magazines, plastic lower receivers onto airplanes where they can do damage to my constituents."
    Lower receivers and magazines are harmless. And you can make plastic weapons out of the utensils that are given to you with your meal. Hell, in first class they have real knives and real glasses that can be used as weapons.
    Last edited by JDay; 04-01-2013, 3:18 PM.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • #47
      Fidget253
      Member
      • Jul 2010
      • 200

      Originally posted by JDay
      I wonder if he really believes what he is saying. None of the parts that are subjected to heat and/or high pressure can be made out of plastic. I doubt we ever will have plastics that barrels and bolts can be made out of.
      You could most certainly construct weapons like a 22 to be fired from a barrel made of plastic or carbon fiber or high strength ceramic. The only hard part would be making a semi because of springs and such.
      Last edited by Fidget253; 04-01-2013, 4:06 PM.
      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
      NRA Life Member

      Comment

      • #48
        JDay
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2008
        • 19393

        Originally posted by Fidget253
        You could most certainly construct weapons like a 22 to be fired from a barrel made of plastic or carbon fiber or high strength resin. The only hard part would be making a semi because of springs and such.
        Try doing that without using enough metal to trip a metal detector.
        Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

        The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

        Comment

        • #49
          Fidget253
          Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 200

          Originally posted by JDay
          Try doing that without using enough metal to trip a metal detector.
          I am not saying it would be easy but doable yes. All it would require would be a tube aka barrel and a cap. ( breach) with something to strike the back of the primer. This could be done similar to a pen gun. Primitive but would work.

          Just playing devils advocate.
          Last edited by Fidget253; 04-01-2013, 3:53 PM.
          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #50
            sseric75
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 836

            Tag for more info

            NRA and DOJ Certified Firearms Instructor

            Comment

            • #51
              VivaLaDemocracy
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 1

              The Feds can bend and twist the law all they want. Spending all your time worrying about "angering the man" is a good way to drive yourself mad. In short, it's hard to convict someone who's doing the correct and moral thing.

              It is free-speech to disseminate information on how to fabricate, produce and manufacture firearms. As long as you are not infringing on someone's patent-rights, then you have a right to relay this information to the public as well.

              That said, there isn't even a good legal definition of what an "undetectable firearm" is. In the same vane, if you were to produce a new firearm technology that was unknown to the Gooberment, would you be in violation of the Act... ludicrous.

              I think if this IS an April fools-day joke, then it's fantastic! It shows how silly the Law is in the first-place.

              Our Founding Fathers would be ashamed that the Government has limited (aka "infringed" on) the type of arms that Citizens can own, compared to the Government.

              Surely, it's a big departure from the text of the 2nd Amendment... "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

              And for anyone priming up with the "Militia" argument... the SCOTUS has already ruled (early on) that a militia can be an Army of One (i.e. you).

              Comment

              • #52
                safewaysecurity
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2010
                • 6166

                The undetectable firearms act is supposed to expire sometime soon is it not? Anyone know when exactly?
                Originally posted by cudakidd
                I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
                ^

                Comment

                • #53
                  safewaysecurity
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 6166

                  Nevermind, it expires at the end of this year.
                  Originally posted by cudakidd
                  I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
                  ^

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Peter.Steele
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 7351

                    This is one of the best April Fools' jokes I've seen yet. Of course the takedown notice wouldn't be hosted on their own site.



                    Originally posted by CCWFacts
                    I know that Glocks and other plastic guns are made with xray-visible additives in the plastic, specifically so they will show up in airport screening. Again, I assume that ordinary 3d printed type plastic is mostly transparent to xrays, and that's going to be a big problem for them.



                    Oh dear jesus.

                    I hope you're not spewing this quality of "facts" when it comes to CCW topics.

                    Plastic is very nearly as visible on an x-ray as metal is. As for metal detector issues, Glock actually does add things to their plastic pistols that make them exceptionally visible to metal detectors. These things include items such as "slides," "barrels," "springs," "guide rods," etc.
                    Last edited by Peter.Steele; 04-01-2013, 6:08 PM.
                    NRA Life Member

                    No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Roger007
                      Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 174

                      does gum still show up on an xray? because I had a hard time getting it on a plane the other day

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        negolien
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 4829

                        Smacked down by an April Fools joke LOL suckers!!
                        "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                        George Orwell

                        http://www.AnySoldier.com

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          superbarnie
                          Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 394

                          Site's back up. Looks like it was a joke.
                          God, Guns, Guts, and Sea lions.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            858casper858
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 772

                            Yes it was a joke, some were amused some not. DEFCAD has a discussion forum and there's a thread giving reactions to the joke. Here's the best one by far!

                            I think that collateral damage caused by this prank should have been considered before it was pulled.

                            I got up innocently enough, put on a fresh tinfoil hat (of course) and logged on though my downstairs neighbors WIFI.

                            Upon seeing the shocking "SEIZED" notice I went into immediate tactical mode.

                            I took my laptop outside and ran it over with my moped several times before dousing it with charcoal starter and setting it ablaze in the neighbors trashcan.

                            I then ran into the house and grabbed all of my old gun periodicals and personal notes as well as several cartons of "research material" (that may or may not have contained mostly midget porn) and in 3 loads added it to the burning trashcan.

                            I realized my fishtank gave my three goldfish (Lee, Harvey, and Oswald) a perfect view of the screen and based on my readings on conspiracy forums realized that DARPA could extract visual information from my pets. I gently placed them in a water glass full of whiskey and toothpaste (a trick I learned from coast to coast) to wipe their memory before fitting them with tiny tinfoil hats and flushing them to freedom.

                            Hearing sirens outside I donned a smoking jacket and strolled outside. In my best fake Belgian accent I casually hinted that the neighbor whose trashcan fire they were responding to was frequently heard to praise al qaeda. When the fire was out I noticed to my shock that the laptop was barely melted I told the fireman that the neighbor had dropped a pipe bomb in that trashcan the day before. They told me to go inside and backed off while calling the bomb squad.

                            I used the next few minutes to call my local police, the FBI, CIA, DHS, and the North Korean embassy to offer to turn states evidence in return for immunity for anything related to DEFCAD and any incidental violations of midget abuse laws.

                            Strangely enough they all declined my offer outright, with the exception of the North Koreans who asked if I was famous before hanging up and the local police who said they would offer me complete immunity if I would "lose their phone number"

                            As I was wrapping up my phone calls I heard a window shaking "BOOM" indicating that the bomb squad had done their job.

                            So then I donned a second tinfoil hat and just settled down with a 2 liter bottle of orangs soda to await the DHS raid I knew was coming.

                            Now that I have learned it was all a prank I have spent the day calling my local police, the FBI, CIA, DHS, and the North Korean embassy to explain that it was all a joke and that I've never even heard of DEFCAD or even the internet for that matter. Mostly they seemed inclined to drop it, North Korea offered me a job as a General, my local police just blocked my calls

                            But worst of all...

                            Now my goldfish can't remember how to swim home.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              TheDarkness
                              Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 145

                              ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1