Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Taser in self-defense - will this situation be appropriate?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lanwarrior
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 566

    Taser in self-defense - will this situation be appropriate?

    I have a Taser X26C that I leave in my car glovebox compartment for "just-in-case" situation. However, I have never thought what is the burden on me if I HAVE to use it in a self-defense situation and wondering if anyone have any pointer (LEO, feel free to chime in). Case point:

    I was driving on I-405 South, near Rosecrans exit. A Red Prius suddenly cut in front me from the right side (merging to traffic), leaving just inches between my car and his. Luckily I hit the brake in time to avoid collision. I flash my high-beam for a split-second to let him know. The driver then got pissed off, gave me the finger and hit the brake, almost causing ANOTHER collision.

    I backed off and leave a bit of distance. However, the drive slows down too, and hit the brake again! This goes for maybe the next 20 seconds or so.

    I didn't want any trouble so I just change lane to the right. However, that lane is a freeway exit so I have to change lane to the left again. I did this to the car IN FRONT of the Red Prius, so I didn't cut him, nor the other car.

    The driver for the Red Prius got ticked off (I guess?), change lane to the left, drive to my side and FORCED HIS CAR ON ME. I hit the brake and the driver got in front of me. At this time I think, OK, crazy guy.. I am just going to exit at the next ramp. The Red Prius is STILL in front of me and EXITING along with me, still hitting the brake abruptly once in a while.

    I called 911 and while the phone still ringing, we got into a stop light. I remained in the car, but I got my Taser out and put on my lap, JUST IN CASE the driver of the Red Prius got out of his car and attempts to attack me.

    I purposely turned on my internal car light so he can see I am making a call. When the light turn green, he did the same thing again, hit the brake abruptly, trying to get me hit his car. There is a Costco on Hindry Avenue, right after the I-405S exit ramp, so I thought "Fine, I'll pull over to Costco Gas station, at least there are tons of people.".

    At this point, the car drove away...

    After all the above the 911 call goes through. I gave the situation above to the dispatcher and get her the Red Prius license plate. The dispatcher took down my information (name and phone number) and told me she will send an officer to search the area.

    Now, in the above situation, IF the driver followed me to Costco and attempt to attack me, do I have the right to use my taser IF necessary?
  • #2
    JoshuaS
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 1617

    Yes, of course. If he is attacking you you have the right to defend yourself with non-lethal force. Lethal, if a reasonable person in your situation would believe they were in danger of being killed or grievously injured

    No duty to retreat, even if possible, though doing so or attempting to if possible is recommended as juries (if it came to that) would be more favorably inclined to believe your account

    Comment

    • #3
      lanwarrior
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 566

      Thanks for the advice!

      I was "ready" to defend myself (with a taser), but for some reason, my mind was racing, thinking "what if the cops arrested me for shooting him with a taser? Who's the witness?".

      Maybe I was thinking too much with the event that happened in Florida.. Travor Martin something?

      <sigh> now this got me thinking of buying those car dash camera...

      Comment

      • #4
        Czsp-01-9mm
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 1853

        Those Prius owners are a crazy bunch, had one riding my tail on 99, so I put my what the hell hand up, he gets angry and gets next to me and try's to swerve into my lane to cause an accident
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          shakes88
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 1128

          That sounds like a righteous deployment situation.. as long as your not juicing the douche up over and over again.

          I avoid Prius's like they're a plague.. I blame all traffic jams on Prius's and cars with Pro-Obama bumper stickers
          Boycott GFOS in Vacaville

          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

          Comment

          • #6
            navin r
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 774

            I had a similar incident; nothing really came of it; drivers in L.A. are really crazy.
            I was driving back to my office and I guess my Jeep was to slow for a RR Sport behind me; and I'm not really a slow driver. The Rover passes me then keeps jamming on his brakes. He eventually stopped in the middle of a busy intersection and I did accidently bump him; the light had already gone red the guy was sitting so long.
            Right after that the guys pulls into a local P.D. Station driveway and is still yelling at me; I guess he thought I was going to jack him up. Anyway I was just "whatever" and drove off.
            I didn't even gesture or yell or flash headlights or anything at this guy.
            Honestly L.A. has so many crazies I really don't respond no matter what someone does.
            Unfortunately thanks to California's gun laws my only protection from insane people is years of martial arts training and a pocket knife.
            NRA life member CRPA life member

            Comment

            • #7
              Thunder
              Senior Member
              CGN Contributor
              • Jun 2012
              • 563

              Are you sure his batteries wasn’t low and he was using the regenerative breaking to add some juice to his cells? He seemed agitated, perhaps at gas prices or the line at Costco.

              Comment

              • #8
                stix213
                AKA: Joe Censored
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Apr 2009
                • 19002

                Use of the taser sounds appropriate if he attacked you at cosco. I carry a taser all the time and would have considered that reasonable.

                I also drive a prius though.....

                Comment

                • #9
                  shakes88
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 1128

                  Originally posted by stix213
                  Use of the taser sounds appropriate if he attacked you at cosco. I carry a taser all the time and would have considered that reasonable.

                  I also drive a prius though.....
                  If you regularly operate a Prius and are not a complete a hole/dum bass on the road, I would like to meet you and shake your hand, as you would be the first I've ever met, and more than likely the only I'll ever meet...
                  Boycott GFOS in Vacaville

                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    IA300
                    Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 255

                    Originally posted by lanwarrior
                    Thanks for the advice!

                    I was "ready" to defend myself (with a taser), but for some reason, my mind was racing, thinking "what if the cops arrested me for shooting him with a taser? Who's the witness?".

                    Maybe I was thinking too much with the event that happened in Florida.. Travor Martin something?

                    <sigh> now this got me thinking of buying those car dash camera...
                    It's all in how you write it!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MapleSyrupSmuggler
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 505

                      Originally posted by Czsp-01-9mm
                      Those Prius owners are a crazy bunch,
                      This^ (Except stix213)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stix213
                        AKA: Joe Censored
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 19002

                        Originally posted by shakes88
                        If you regularly operate a Prius and are not a complete a hole/dum bass on the road, I would like to meet you and shake your hand, as you would be the first I've ever met, and more than likely the only I'll ever meet...
                        Well, I'm that rare breed of Prius driver that doesn't drive 10 under the limit in the fast lane, get on the freeway at 35 mph, or look at all the polluter cars as borrowing my roadway.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          lacmta-rick
                          Junior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 35

                          To the folks that dislike prius's and the people that drive them (for the most part) If it makes you guys feel any better,I turned one into a small box after this clown decided it was ok to cut me off and slam on the brakes with no vehicles ahead of him.According to the idiot driving "I didnt see you" Sure pal,a 45 foot transit bus just appeared outa nowhere.Had no time to stop,even with hitting the brakes,it seemed that this person was looking for a buisness of some sort,and tried to make it into the driveway,well,he didnt make it.

                          I know this is off topic,but down here in los angeles,well,yall know how it is lol.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            penguinofsleep
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 2070

                            ive met 3 sensible prius drivers in the last 5 years. almost every time i see one, they are doing something inexplicably stupid.

                            although close to election time last year i saw 5 different priuses with romney stickers on them. 2 of the drivers looked like mormons so i figured w/e but the other 3 looked like the stereotype obama sticker drivers (much like u usually know how the 10 anti obama + nra stickers on his truck guy is going to look before you see him). all 5 of them still drove like they were out to make accidents though.

                            oddly enough w/ all other hybrids/electrics the number of bad drivers i see seems roughly proportional.
                            Last edited by penguinofsleep; 02-01-2013, 6:25 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              cnj
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004
                              • 1275

                              Originally posted by stix213
                              I also drive a prius though.....
                              OOh......not sure I would have posted that on Calguns........; - )
                              "Bye Felicia!" - Said by me, as I looked at Kalfornia in my rearview for the last time, 9/22/17.
                              NRA member
                              My experience is from the '80's and '90's, when mullets ruled the world!
                              If azzholes could fly, this place would be an airport!
                              I support gun control.....if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it!
                              You go ahead and give peace a chance. I'll cover you if it doesn't work out!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1