Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo storage, what works best for you?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • winnre
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 9214

    Ammo storage, what works best for you?

    We all have our quirks about storing ammo. I bet we have many different ways to do it. I'd like to know who does what here, so here we go with your favorite and mine, the poll!

    How do YOU store your ammo?
    121
    In the nice little boxes ammo comes in, stacked pretty.
    0%
    41
    My ammo is loose in an ammo can.
    0%
    16
    In boxes or on stripper clips, and then in an ammo can.
    0%
    46
    In magazines. As many magazines as is takes.
    0%
    3
    You missed one. See my post below for a new and better idea!
    0%
    15
    "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson
  • #2
    Rickrock1
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2012
    • 5158

    Because of quanities, I remove from boxes to save space and with most ammo I put in different size zip lock style bags and then put them into ammo cans. I then identify ammo cans with labels. 45 cal ammo can may have steel and brass in same can but seperated in bags and mrked with brand , grain etc. Save me lots of space
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Laythor
      Senior Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2012
      • 991

      50 rounds in sealed plastic bags placed in an ammo can with moisture absorbers.

      makes it very easy when i'm going to the range to take just the amount i want and not use up a lot of space in my range bag.
      Last edited by Laythor; 01-20-2013, 8:44 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        SB1964
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 4876

        Stacked up in sorted Piles, half of my Safe is Ammo/Mags. I use small containers for loose Ammo. The tubs that Ham (for sammiches) comes in work great!

        I use kitty litter in a few small bags for moisture, works great.
        Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

        Comment

        • #5
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          Some in mags. Some in ammo cans loose. Some in ammo cans in boxes or other original packaging. Some in 50 or 100 round flip-top plastic ammo boxes. Some on coffe cans(mostly 22RF) and some in original boxes stacked up.
          Some stored in garage. Some stored in safes. Some stored in spare room. Some stored on top of safes. Some probably rolling around loose in my car and pick-up. Some in my travel trailer.

          That pretty well covers it.
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          • #6
            drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 2219

            Military surplus ammo cans here. They stack well, seal well and in case of fire, contain any rounds that cook off. I label mine with duct tape and a sharpie.
            NRA Life Member
            GOA Life Member
            USMC '71 - '78

            "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
            Edward Everett Hale

            Comment

            • #7
              twohi2play
              Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 367

              I have ammo that I use for shooting in big 50 cal ammo cans and my other bulk ammo in the boxes that were shipped to me that I still have not opened yet.
              The less you give a damn the happier you will be.

              Comment

              • #8
                zfields
                CGN Contributor
                • Aug 2010
                • 13658

                Stacked on a shelf. No way I have enough safe room for it.

                I do need to pick up some 50 cal cans for long term storage though.
                Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                Comment

                • #9
                  johnthomas
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 7001

                  In sardine cans that are in 50 cal ammo cans. If bought off the shelf, in boxes in ammo cans. I have some of each in baggies in ammo cans. All ammo cans are in one of my safes with desiccant. In another safe are my guns with loaded mags at the ready, with desiccant in the safe.
                  I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sharxbyte
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 2448

                    My magazines are filled, and some of it is in the can naked, but most of it is in boxes.
                    My AR is 7.62x39, so that if/when we get invaded, I can shoot their ammo back at them!
                    sigpic

                    Originally posted by Falstaff
                    Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
                    My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread


                    Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!


                    Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      gsc3zny
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 573

                      I take my boxes of ammo and use vacuum sealer bags and vacuum seal them, then put in ..50 cal ammo cans

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        RTE
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 1948

                        A little of everything
                        boxed, bagged, carton, case, ammo can, spam can, loose, clipped
                        in a refurbished safe.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          stormvet
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 12681

                          All of the above and then some.
                          Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jet Setter
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2012
                            • 5348

                            I put mostly everything in ammo cans with silica gel in it. If it is bulk ammo, it is loose in the ammo can with gel. If it is the factory boxed ammo, stacked in an ammo can with silica gel. Each can is calibre specific so it is easy for me to get what I need in an timely fashion.
                            *********************
                            WTS:
                            1. PW 800+ Hydro Multispeed (just the hydraulic unit that also works with Spolar press)
                            2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
                            3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Dhena81
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 4587

                              For 5.56 I have my SHTF stash on stripper clips in a heavy duty plastic bag in a surplus ammo can with silica gel and a stripper clip guide in each can.

                              9mm I use just a heavy duty plastic bag and silica gel.

                              I prep the ammo cans by using degreaser then painting any exposed metal with self etching primer paint then using plumbers silicone gel to protect the gasket.

                              I'm not sure how long it would take but I assume that if left for an extended period of time I'm talking years. The copper jacketed bullets could react with the steel by electrolysis and actually corrode the steel ammo can brass you don't have to worry about electrolysis.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1