Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I am calling it. This is 2008 all over again.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    blackbok
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 1144

    Man, I was at Walmart last night and they were pretty stocked. Wish I would've known, I would have panicked.

    Comment

    • #47
      gemoose23
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 1079

      Report from the Midwest. On monday night Walmart had ar15s in their display, no 22lr ammo, but tula. 223 and. 45ACP on the shelf. Local store yesterday, no ar15s & one ak47 on the wall but shipment arriving this week, hornady, winchester and Remington ammo on shelves, but no bulk packs available.
      Last edited by gemoose23; 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM.
      Hornady LnL, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Lee Precision and Lyman User
      If You want Match or Leadless hunting Ammo check out Monolithic Munitions Yes I am a shill, friends with the owners.

      Comment

      • #48
        The Gleam
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2011
        • 13431

        UPDATE: I went BACK to Turners Reseda this evening after work and the store was still humming; a good 50 to 60 people in the store when I got there, many with numbers 100 numerals or more beyond the letter/numbers combo the current set of 100 numbers they were working through. It got better as the evening wore on because some people simply got tired of waiting and bailed.

        However, when I left there tonight, the shelves were cleared; I mean GONE - blank! NO AKs. NO PTR-91s. Not much in the way of other stuff. A guy there bought the last HK USC off the shelf. Even M1As down to the last one. NO receivers left of any kind. They have stopped taking orders on some brand/model ARs, but noted there would be another brand they are getting in that they were taking pre-orders. There were some Del Ton/JP ARs in some target configurations, but most all other ARs were cleared. I noticed the reloading components were rather thin, in some calibers, gone completely for popular brands.

        Crazy. I suspect in the weeks ahead, many manufacturers will ramp up AR-receiver production and strictly sell AR stripped receivers only - not waste time on building complete rifles or waiting for parts to do so. But I suspect we'll see stripped-receiver prices jump to $179 and $199 by next week.

        Keep in mind, this time around; it's not just CA - it's national. If you thought it was crazy here in CA in 1999 or in late 2005 or early 2006 when OLL/OLR was thought to be "limited-time-only" and stripped lowers were tough to get - imagine that clammering for a whole nation going on!

        I got what I wanted; they had a hard to find item on their "discontinued list" that I had been eyeing since the end of November; kept putting it off, stalling, but merely went to get it because of the extreme sale price and they won't be carrying it any more - nobody had it as low - so DROSed it tonight. It was worth the wait and blowing my evening.
        -----------------------------------------------
        Originally posted by Librarian
        What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

        If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

        Comment

        • #49
          gunafficionado
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 551

          Originally posted by pacifico23
          This will be worse than 2008...
          +1....same here, 2012/2013 will be worse.

          Comment

          • #50
            NOTABIKER
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 7635

            Originally posted by aermotor
            Agreed on all fronts. All the usual sites for ammo and mags are COMPLETELY out. Some have even shut down their websites.

            I was at Turners Pasadena today and they had 2 regular ARs left (friend bought one of them, a beautiful DD) and 3 target models. All other stock was gone. All AKs gone. Everyone in the store was borderline manic to buy a gun. The DROS number for CA alone was at 3600 by 1:30PM. The hysteria is palpable across the country. My friend in Portland is reporting the same thing. All guns on the shelves are sold, mags are gone as well.

            This is absolutely insane. I got in to this in early 2009 and it was mayhem then. This will absolutely be worse.

            Buckle the F down and amass what you can. To the retailers upping their prices to profit from the hysteria




            2 years? I don't remember anything being "back till normal-ish" until this year, and now here we are again.
            just because we buy them does not mean we get to keep them. the left wants a complete gun ban. they are better at getting what they want than we are. they got a radical lefty failed prez reelected did they not.

            Comment

            • #51
              george223
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 1212

              We also have the left wing media propaganda machine against us. If the Republicans can withstand that, I'll be forever grateful.

              Comment

              • #52
                bender152
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • 4237

                Originally posted by aermotor
                The price gouging lasted well into 2010-2011 if I remember correctly from personal experience.
                I think things started to calm down in 2010.

                I know in 2011 firearms and ammo were very easy to come by and were reasonably priced. That's when I was buying stuff in preparation for this year's elections.

                Comment

                • #53
                  tenpercentfirearms
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Apr 2005
                  • 13007

                  Originally posted by george223
                  We also have the left wing media propaganda machine against us. If the Republicans can withstand that, I'll be forever grateful.
                  We can withstand that. The NRA will jump on board tomorrow. If my Congressman caves, he will be out of a job. He knows it. Many other congressman know it. Just not the majority of your congressmen in California.
                  www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Intimid8tor
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 6607

                    I visited 3 stores between last night and today. Scored two odd magazines for less than half price which was the good news.

                    Sportsman's warehouse had 1 black .308 battle rifle. Cabella's had a couple. Impact was sold out of all AR pattern rifles. All were sold out of standard capacity mags. Didn't look at ammo.

                    I feel bad for gunshops. They are going to sell everything and then not be able to restock which will make it hard. There were already delays out there and this will make it 10X worse. In 07, the delays didn't start until around December for most things.
                    Starve the beast, move to a free state.

                    Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Marthor
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 1644

                      I just got back from Walmart and got the las box of 22LR on the shelf. There was a line at the ammo case. The guy in front of me got the last box of 40 and all the 45 was already gone.
                      National Rifle Association (NRA) Life Patriot Endowment Member
                      Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) Member
                      Concealed Handgun License
                      Originally posted by Marthor
                      You have been scammed bigly. Epic hype. Time to snap out. YW

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        winnre
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 9214

                        On one hand I want to go buy ammo and stuff, but I am full really. If there was no ammo for a year I'd be fine, except for maybe my .32.

                        But is this 2008 again? in December 2008, right when I got back from deployment, I went to Turner's and they had like 3 rifles and two pistols for sale. And one of the long guns was a $3,500 shotgun. When I asked about a 1911, they said 9 month wait.

                        The good thing about that mess in 2008 is that it ended. But I bet the majority bought one gun. And today either they want another gun, or, since there are more people around, some folks who did not buy in 2008 are buying today.

                        When the mad rush ends what will we have? A surge of extra guns going for sale cheap? Or will the demand get tighter and price go up for decades like they did with machine guns in 1986?

                        I guess when the dust settles I'll have to be happy with what I have.
                        "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          BlackonBlack
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 1105

                          I hope the manufactures are smart and focus solely on stripped lowers and get as many as they can in stores. That way they can sell components to these customers later on.
                          Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from poor decisions.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Fishslayer
                            In Memoriam
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 13035

                            Originally posted by Cali-V
                            Anyone know where I can find one of those kel-tec shotgun thingies...
                            Does it have a shoulder thing that goes up?
                            "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                            You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                            You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                            Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                            I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                            Originally posted by redcliff
                            A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              damngato
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 3393

                              I think it's all a waste. I don't see anything changing, at least for us in California. It just sucks that we all have to pay now or wait for this madness to end. Had my eye on another one in the private sale section that went up over 50% after it had been listed for almost a month at one price. Pretty nuts. Wish I had more to sell, probably won't get more for them then they are at now for a long time
                              Link for feedback -

                              https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...4#post28181454

                              WTB:
                              Off Roster CZs
                              Off Roster Sigs
                              Off Roster FNs
                              Pre-Lock S&Ws

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1