Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hunting Wild Pig in CA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    smcrea
    Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 105

    PLEASE TELL ME MORE!!!

    [QUOTE=stitchnicklas;9847377]pig in san diego is going prime soon i heard http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...page=3#article


    I live in San Diego County.. so how can I find out:

    - Where to buy the pig tags
    - Where to generally find the pigs and the best times?

    Comment

    • #47
      agl1911
      Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 252

      So it's legal to hunt on BLM land without having to pay for extra fees other than hunting licenses? hmmm let's breed a bunch of pigs and then release them into BLM land =)... wait is that legal?

      Comment

      • #48
        xrMike
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2006
        • 7841

        Why a "pig epidemic" now, or even recently?

        Pigs have been here in the U.S. for a couple hundred years, right? And people have been farming for that long too.

        So what's changed that makes them more numerous and troublesome than before?

        Comment

        • #49
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19859

          [QUOTE=smcrea;10390300]
          Originally posted by stitchnicklas
          pig in san diego is going prime soon i heard http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...page=3#article


          I live in San Diego County.. so how can I find out:

          - Where to buy the pig tags
          - Where to generally find the pigs and the best times?
          Probably any place they sell hunting licenses, Walmart, etc.

          Comment

          • #50
            MapleSyrupSmuggler
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 505

            Me and my brother have been hunting at Fort Hunter Liggett. The pigs are out there but it is kinda tough to find them. On the other hand we went to a freind of ours who has private land and we bagged two of them. We have a saying that when we hunt on public land we are actually just hiking with guns XD

            Anyways FHL is a decent public land place but you have to get a permit to hunt on their army base (in addition to your hunting lic) and follow their rules to the letter.

            Comment

            • #51
              repomanNWP
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 1058

              As for pigs in San Diego County, I've hunted them down here for a few years. Like everywhere else in CA, be prepared to hike, but even more so here. Elevation, tall brush, very challenging. The "pig epidemic" does not exist in San Diego County, despite what you've read in the papers. The stats speak for themselves, exceptionally low success on pig tags sold. I've seen sign in many places, but no live pigs in the last 2 years of hunting outings, including overnights in the CNF. If you enjoy being in the outdoors, hiking, and carrying your gun with you, you will love it. If you are trying to fill your freezer, you'll go hungry. You will have more success on private land, and you will bump into other hunters all the time on public land. For private land, expect to pay, land owners here do not give permission to hunt on their land, they know its a business now, and they don't just give it away.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #52
                Cahooting
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 601

                Heli-hunting. Count me in.
                Blaming a gun for crime is like blaming a fork for Rosie O'Donnell being FAT!

                Comment

                • #53
                  Bruce
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 2183

                  Originally posted by smcrea
                  I've heard that the wild boar epidemic which is hurting farmers accross the country has arrived in CA.

                  Does anyone know where they can be found?

                  I read some of the farmers trying to charge major $ to try and make money out of someone else fixing THERE THEIR problem!.. no thanks!

                  Most states they are getting culled and left to rot!

                  Thanks!
                  Fixed your problem.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    sdfire
                    CGSSA Associate
                    • May 2011
                    • 1548

                    I went out in December to do some scouting in SD. I found pig sign near cedar creek, but the hike is crazy. Plus you have to haul what you kill out, and it seems like it is uphill through the brush every direction. Once I renew my hunting license and get a pig tag , I might try before summer. There is also a low fence hunting ranch in east county that isn't too expensive.
                    My next Meet and Greet, Rally, range trip, or Clean Up in San Diego:
                    www.sdmust.org

                    https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post27536285

                    Please protect me from the evil that I see, and the darkness that I cannot.----Rev.Johnson

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      repomanNWP
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 1058

                      Pigs have been taken in the cedar falls area, but none recently..there is way too much human activity down there, and when the forest service built a trailhead and switchback path, it became a waste of time for pig hunters. A friend took a 65lbs puff there and packing it out was no fun

                      Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Skidmark
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 1808

                        I've raced wild boars out on Mines Rd, south of Livermore, and seen them on golf courses in Marin, and also at Pinnacles Nat. Park, besides at Lake Sonoma. But those a just a handful, seems they're nearly everywhere.
                        Making guns illegal is as stupid as making drugs or prostitution illegal.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1