Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anti-Gun Kaiser Permanente

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sgtjosh
    Junior Member
    • May 2011
    • 17

    Anti-Gun Kaiser Permanente

    I took my kids to Kaiser Permanente in La Mesa for their annual physical. The screening form is attached. See question number six. My answer was handwritten. It stated: "None of your damn business."

    I complained to the office manager at the conclusion of my sons visit.

    I stated that firearms are not a health concern. I pointed out that I was not asked if I owned an automobile which is much more likely be a source of injury for my child. They did not ask if any felons resided in the home. I explained that I was not asked if I had exercised my first, fourth, or fifth amendment rights within the home.

    I just received a call back from Dr Louis Luevanos. Dr. Luevanos runs the pediatric department. He was very patronizing and most unhelpful. I explained that I was unhappy Kaiser was furthering the American Medical Associations narrative that firearms constitute a public health hazard. He refused to give me a direct call back number. The number on my caller ID was 619-528-3300. Please call him and explain the error of his ways.

    4647 Zion Ave
    San Diego, CA 92120
    (619) 528-5000 (Office)
    Attached Files
  • #2
    DrDavid
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 568

    Take it as a moment where you can educate the doctor...
    sigpic

    David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

    In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

    CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

    CA BRE# 01420938

    Comment

    • #3
      BlindRacer
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 631

      Originally posted by sgtjosh
      I took my kids to Kaiser Permanente in La Mesa for their annual physical. The screening form is attached. See question number six. My answer was handwritten. It stated: "None of your damn business."

      I complained to the office manager at the conclusion of my sons visit.

      I stated that firearms are not a health concern. I pointed out that I was not asked if I owned an automobile which is much more likely be a source of injury for my child. They did not ask if any felons resided in the home. I explained that I was not asked if I had exercised my first, fourth, or fifth amendment rights within the home.

      I just received a call back from Dr Louis Luevanos. Dr. Luevanos runs the pediatric department. He was very patronizing and most unhelpful. I explained that I was unhappy Kaiser was furthering the American Medical Associations narrative that firearms constitute a public health hazard. He refused to give me a direct call back number. The number on my caller ID was 619-528-3300. Please call him and explain the error of his ways.

      4647 Zion Ave
      San Diego, CA 92120
      (619) 528-5000 (Office)
      I too have Kaiser, and two youngsters. It might be a little late, but when it comes to things like this, it's better to be polite, and leave it blank. Like you said, it's none of their business. However, having a patient go off on them, and refuse to answer a question about guns, probably doesn't bode to well. They may see it as a dangerous situation for your child, and contact CPS. They aren't federal agents either, so to say you do not have firearms wouldn't be against the law either. I'm pretty sure I left it blank when I filled out those forms. Never had been questioned about it.

      If you want to take up the issue of them perpetuating the AMA's lies, then it may be better to do in a separate situation than your child's check-ups and forms. The Dr's aren't going to be able to do anything about the forms anyways.

      Hopefully it's not too late to come across a bit more respectful. It sounds like you went off on them a bit too much, so hopefully they will still insure you.

      Comment

      • #4
        NoJoke
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 1538

        Everyone needs to speak out!

        Eventually the doc's will get the message and not want to get into politics.

        They tend to avoid politics.

        NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

        Comment

        • #5
          BlindRacer
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 631

          Originally posted by DrDavid
          Take it as a moment where you can educate the doctor...
          Yes, if you already brought it up within the office, then they most likely know that you own at least one gun. So talking it over with the Dr may be a good idea.

          I also think I heard somewhere, that many Dr's were actually gun enthusiasts. Don't know how reliable that info is, but I thought I heard something along those lines.

          Most people are indifferent to guns if they've never shot one before. There aren't as many hardcore anti's out there as it seems. I'm sure the Dr's wouldn't have cared if you said yes on the form. The only thing that may have been brought up about them, was asking you if you kept them safe, so that your child can't accidentally access a loaded gun. Other than that, they probably wouldn't care.

          Comment

          • #6
            tuolumnejim
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jun 2008
            • 11198

            Originally posted by BlindRacer
            I too have Kaiser, and two youngsters. It might be a little late, but when it comes to things like this, it's better to be polite, and leave it blank. Like you said, it's none of their business. However, having a patient go off on them, and refuse to answer a question about guns, probably doesn't bode to well. They may see it as a dangerous situation for your child, and contact CPS. They aren't federal agents either, so to say you do not have firearms wouldn't be against the law either. I'm pretty sure I left it blank when I filled out those forms. Never had been questioned about it.

            If you want to take up the issue of them perpetuating the AMA's lies, then it may be better to do in a separate situation than your child's check-ups and forms. The Dr's aren't going to be able to do anything about the forms anyways.

            Hopefully it's not too late to come across a bit more respectful. It sounds like you went off on them a bit too much, so hopefully they will still insure you.
            I can't do that, when I see someone acting like an *** I feel I should tell them so they might look at their own actions.
            In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
            Publius Cornelius Scipio

            Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.
            ― Thomas Jefferson

            Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
            John Adams

            Comment

            • #7
              BlindRacer
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 631

              Originally posted by tuolumnejim
              I can't do that, when I see someone acting like an *** I feel I should tell them so they might look at their own actions.
              If there was a specific person, then maybe. But this was a question on a form, written in some corporate office. Yelling at doctors/nurses/managers/etc isn't going to do much. They aren't the people who are responsible for that question. However, they could be the person responsible for reporting you, and ultimately terminating your insurance with them if you aren't acting appropriately.

              I don't agree with the question either, but there is a time and place for raising your concerns, and also raising them to the correct people/department.

              Comment

              • #8
                fpeel
                Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 115

                Good for you, though I don't bother trying to educate "educated" idiots. It's a waste of time because they already know the truth.

                "Skip any questions that do not apply."

                If it were me they would have received a blank form back as barely a handful of the questions asked are a physicians direct concern, such as those related to allergic reactions, potential exposure to communicable diseases and genetic predispositions. These are topics I would have already explored with their primary physician. The rest of the questions are an intrusion into the private affairs of the family.

                "This information is confidential."

                Damn straight, and it would have stayed that way. The nanny state can butt out.
                "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." -Colonel Jeff Cooper

                Comment

                • #9
                  Anchors
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 5940

                  I would have done the same thing except I would have written "this information of private and irrelevant to the health of my child".

                  Just remain calm and firm.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ryan in SD
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 1966

                    Mind boggling.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Kukuforguns
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 659

                      I answer this question truthfully: "There are no firearms accessible by children in the house." The doctors have never shown any interest in following up to obtain more information.

                      I am extremely happy with Kaiser and wish I were a member (my children have access through my wife's insurance). Kaiser promotes preventive care, makes their doctors available via email, has an efficient appointment process, eliminates the need for running all around town for diagnostic tests, etc.

                      I do not expect everyone to share my views. I do expect health care providers to treat me and my family with respect -- and that is exactly the experience I have had at Kaiser.
                      WTB: Magazines for S&W M&P 9c

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sgtjosh
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2011
                        • 17

                        Originally posted by BlindRacer
                        I too have Kaiser, and two youngsters. It might be a little late, but when it comes to things like this, it's better to be polite, and leave it blank. Like you said, it's none of their business. However, having a patient go off on them, and refuse to answer a question about guns, probably doesn't bode to well. They may see it as a dangerous situation for your child, and contact CPS. They aren't federal agents either, so to say you do not have firearms wouldn't be against the law either. I'm pretty sure I left it blank when I filled out those forms. Never had been questioned about it.

                        If you want to take up the issue of them perpetuating the AMA's lies, then it may be better to do in a separate situation than your child's check-ups and forms. The Dr's aren't going to be able to do anything about the forms anyways.

                        Hopefully it's not too late to come across a bit more respectful. It sounds like you went off on them a bit too much, so hopefully they will still insure you.
                        get in line sheep...silence is consent
                        Last edited by sgtjosh; 08-14-2012, 2:17 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          2shotjoe
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 26709

                          Write in nerf gun.

                          Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                          Originally posted by Kestryll
                          ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
                          Originally posted by Libertarian777
                          ...Don't pick either side....

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            kaligaran
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 4800

                            I don't have Kaiser, but i did go to a Palo Alto Medical Foundation office for a general practitioner after moving here and this was also on their questionniare.

                            I had never seen it before.
                            WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up.
                            Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              1859sharps
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 2261

                              I would HIGHLY suggest NOT loosing your temper with a doctor that is supporting this kind of questionnaire... you will just be feeding their preconceptions.

                              I would simply state that your are offended that exercising your civil rights is considered a health risk. if it's an option for you, tell them you are taking your business else where if they continue to view civil rights and exercising them as a health risk. And YES, health care is a business. loosing sight of that is a large part of how we have the health care mess we have now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1