Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Moving to California...maybe.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Bede5man
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 12

    I MAY be moving to the Mojave/Palmdale/Lancaster area.

    Dude, I've been to all 50 states and to 2 other continents...but I have NEVER, EVER seen a rattlesnake in the wild.

    Seen nasty spiders and snakes in Australia, in the Outback...Black Widows and Brown Recluses in Georgia and other places...but never a rattlesnake outdoors.

    I've seen them in university terrariums and in animal exhibits at science centers. But, never in the wild.

    They wanna bite my ***, as far as I'm concerned.

    Comment

    • #17
      Nyanman
      Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 257

      Originally posted by Bede5man
      How do you life-long CA residents put up with the gun laws there? What's the compliance rate? I mean, I can imagine those living in Northern/rural CA kinda do what they want, eh?
      Sorry, even in rural NorCAL people still seem to have a really high compliance rate. Even the guns they find when they run drug raids are pretty much always legal in this state.
      In the cities you have the people who want to use gun control to 'cure' click inner city violence. Up here you have the hippies who only eat organic and only want world peace with noting scary like guns.

      Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
      I need to think of a clever thing here.

      Comment

      • #18
        Bede5man
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 12

        I always figured NoCal was full of hippie hold-outs...!

        My last trip to the west was for a gig flying seaplanes out of the Portland area. Never got down to the California border, though.

        My time in Cali was in SF and LA, where I had a law enforcement contact... they were actually NICE! I was amazed. No Rodney King treatment or whatever. I was actually impressed by their professionalism and decorum.

        Really, it was like on a TV show or something. I swear it was like on CHips!!!

        (They still took me into custody, though...)

        When they DID let me go, they actually asked me where I wanted to go. And drove me there. And opened the car door for me and called me "sir" and stuff...

        Comment

        • #19
          huntercf
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 3114

          If it's a high paying job that will get you to retirement in a few years, I say go for it. If you have the option, leave your AR and M1 back home along with all your 10+ mags. Since you are getting a high paying job, just buy an AR here (you can sell it or un-neuter it when you move back), or better yet maybe go to a build party with some fellow calgunners.
          Gun control is a 1" group at 500 yds!

          Comment

          • #20
            Bede5man
            Junior Member
            • Jul 2012
            • 12

            Yeah, I could do a build party; I have the armorer's tools; and the headspace gauges, roll pin punches, upper receiver clamp set, etc.!

            Comment

            • #21
              Vlad 11
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 2961

              Don't know if it was mentioned but certain AR lowers are banned by name ,, check out the " Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide " up top of the page


              Originally posted by Bede5man
              Oh, one more question...there are a LOT of rattlesnakes out in the Mojave Desert, yes?

              How do you keep them from sneaking up on you before they are rattling? And if you park the truck out there, do you maybe jump out away from the vehicle in case one is right under the door sill so you can't see it? And can a man outrun a rattler?

              And can Gila monsters move fast? Can a man outrun one?

              And, Dude you have a serious irrational fear of snakes. Rattle snakes are docile and non-aggressive ... leave em alone and there will be no problems.
              They want nothing to do with people ... They don't 'sneak up on you'

              Comment

              • #22
                Bede5man
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2012
                • 12

                What about Gila monsters?

                I understand they don't have fangs to inject venom, but they "chew" the venom into victims with a pervasive, hard-to-dislodge bite grip.

                How fast can something that looks like THAT strike at a person???

                Just sayin'...

                Comment

                • #23
                  SanPedroShooter
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 9732

                  So CAN a man out run a Gila monster....? Jesus I am on the edge of my seat over here. I am afraid to leave the house untill I know.

                  The best thing about Califorinia is CGN.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Capybara
                    CGSSA Coordinator
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 15643

                    I lived in California my entire 49 years and have NEVER seen a Gila Monster. Rattlesnakes generally want to avoid people on the rare chance you see them. You do have an irrational fear of snakes and other creepy crawlies, they are fairly rare to see or hear.

                    Just use your head, make some sound/vibration when walking, don't go running into the brush and use your ears. The ground is not crawling with snakes here, you will see many more snakes down South.
                    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Vlad 11
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 2961

                      haha Gila are slower than molasses. They barely range into California. If you ever spot one you're lucky. Leave em alone.

                      it is illegal to "harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect the Gila Monster."

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        BucDan
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 4063

                        20 years living in CA and yet I never heard of a Gila Monster. You guys just made my day lol.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Bede5man
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 12

                          OK then; that about covers the Gila monsters...

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            SickofSoCal
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2009
                            • 7634

                            Stay away! It's not worth it.
                            "If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison, Federalist No. 51 (1787)

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              gatesbox
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 1860

                              My kids have caught a few alligator lizards here. We have a special aquarium tank for letting them sleep over for a few nights.

                              Many residents keep the feline species or canine in thier actual homes! Can you believe it? With those sharp pointy teeth and the razor sharp claws! Better be packin more than that cci shot!

                              Or even worse.....

                              "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt."

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Maddog5150
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 10526

                                Ok, first, welcome to California!!!! Some of us fight the good fight
                                Second, if its for a few years and will fast track you to retirement, who cares about about a few guns you'll have to leave behind? Yeah I may get flamed here but seriously, money in the bank, food on the table and a fast track to retirement in TODAYS economy is balling
                                Welcome to sunny socal, it's not that bad and obviously if it was, all those who keep swearing they want to get out would of long gone to greener pastures by now where they supposedly hand out machine guns and give away six figure jobs for moving there.
                                Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

                                For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
                                Note: I did not write the above article.

                                Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1