Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Scary experience at gun shop

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Capybara
    CGSSA Coordinator
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2012
    • 15627

    Jeez, getting shot by a newbie idiot at a shooting range would not be a noble death, it would be a pathetic one.
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #17
      odysseus
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2005
      • 10407

      This is why sometimes if I go to a range, especially a pistol range like that, I avoid the crowded times. Also if I go in and I see what looks like a bunch of newbies and cameras are out with joking and a lot of talking, I leave. I might return later, or just abort the day shoot. I don't enjoy myself in those scenarios having to watch everyone and even maybe intervene with a "please keep it pointed down range".
      "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

      The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
      - John Adams

      http://www.usdebtclock.org/

      Comment

      • #18
        SacTown
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 1784

        Worst thing I ever see at the public ranges (which is just about every time I go) is finger on the trigger. Absolutely hate seeing that especially when you're the one looking down the muzzle. So yeah, I guess there are two things I hate. One being finger on the trigger and two being muzzle swept. I think all ranges need neon signs that say "FINGERS OFF THE TRIGGER and DON'T POINT GUNS AT OTHER PEOPLE".
        sigpic SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

        Comment

        • #19
          POLICESTATE
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2009
          • 18185

          +1 I always keep a loaded mag in my pocket at the range in case some nut decides to go postal.

          Last place I would decide to go postal, but if someone has a death wish logic doesn't apply.


          Originally posted by dobek
          My REAL scary was gang banger type goes to the bench during cease fire (outdoor range) - was told 2x's by RO to stay back - 3rd time guy on the other side of me yells at the guy to back the "F" away from the bench - -

          Great now I have a verbal confrontation going on with gang banger making threats - and I'm in between these two - (and yes I was mentally planning for a quick grab and load... always leave a mag loaded) - -

          RO came down pretty quick and ejects banger (after guy on my left flashes his badge - go figure a cop practicing) - -

          now I'm watching - waiting for numb nuts to do a drive by as he leaves.....

          Didn't want to be anywhere near there....

          Steve
          -POLICESTATE,
          In the name of the State, and of the School, and of the Infallible Science


          sigpic


          Government Official Lies
          . F r e e d o m . D i e s .

          Comment

          • #20
            Paper Boy
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2009
            • 5666

            I was at an outdoor range in AZ when a family showed up. The dad starts handing guns to the little kids who immediately sweep any and everyone who is near by. He is oblivious. I was close to being done so I just packed it up when the dad laughed off another shooter pointing that out.

            Scariest moment was actually out hunting. I was walking a game trail during elk season when I hear a round fly right over head followed by the boom of the gun out in front of me. I hit the dirt and get really small behind a log and radio to my buddy who I know is somewhere off to my right. We both stay low through 5 more round flying over. Never saw the guy who was shooting.
            Youtube reviews https://bit.ly/2V3WchY
            https://hooksandammo.com

            Comment

            • #21
              scottunit1
              Member
              • Nov 2011
              • 171

              Originally posted by lazyworm
              Bet you a dollar you were at Target Masters in Milpitas
              thinking the same place
              if i ever go there it is at 1 in the afternoon and im usually the only person shooting

              Comment

              • #22
                Lives_In_Fresno
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 818

                Originally posted by Donkeypunch0420
                I worked at a shooting range for a few years so I saw a lot of stupid stuff. One that sticks out in my mind was one time when I was sweeping up brass. A guy had a 1911 (think it was a Llama) that was malfunctioning. He had a bunch of friends with him whom were all shooting their own guns. I was walking by sweeping up and his gun malfunctions again, I told him to leave it there, and I was going to see what kind of malfunction he had to see if I could diagnose the problem. He's so pissed at his gun though that he throws it on the ground as hard as he could, with one in the chamber. Scared the crap out of me and I yell at him not to do that again. Thank goodness it didn't discharge, but if it hit the hammer or another spot in the right way, and the business end was pointing at me, might not be writing about it now.
                don't be so upset! We all know that the drop test for guns to be on the CA roster means that all guns are suddenly safe, right?

                Comment

                • #23
                  egDonald
                  Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 183

                  Originally posted by cabinetguy
                  you need better situational awareness. If you are in an area you expect loaded firearms, dont expect others know how to handle them safely, this goes for all ranges. remember that ultimately you alone are responsible for your safety. In that situation I would have a few words for the dry fire lady
                  This is the first thing I thought of.... not that you already haven't heard it a few times in this thread
                  Not sure if that was your first time in such a busy range/counter, but just be wary. If I'm in a busy area where people could be holding ammo in one hand and a firearm in the other, my head is one a swivel. People might think I'm watching them as if they were about to do something - but better that I am watching and not get shot.
                  However, I will take your experience and remember it. If I ever see people flaunting a firearm or acting unsafe at the range, I'll either be sure to notify the RO, or give them a quick talk... after they unload the firearm and step away from the ammo of course.

                  Originally posted by Donkeypunch0420
                  ... He's so pissed at his gun though that he throws it on the ground as hard as he could, with one in the chamber. Scared the crap out of me and I yell at him not to do that again. Thank goodness it didn't discharge, but if it hit the hammer or another spot in the right way, and the business end was pointing at me, might not be writing about it now.
                  Lucky state of CA (among others?) require the drop test, ehy?
                  jk - i know you can't rely on a "test" and apply that to reality. I literally cringed when I read "threw it on the ground"... I mean, how could he do that to such an expensive firearm!! hehe, joking again.
                  Seriously, sometimes I wish I could just have my own private range.... although knowing idiots, I'd probably catch people trespassing or taking a stroll behind my backstop


                  My scariest experience at the range is related to a negligent discharge within an indoor range.
                  I was already packed up and outside the indoor range area. I was just watching what other people were shooting and how they were doing (i'm a little competitive like that ). All of the sudden, I see this guy, who is ending his night and packing his firearms away. He picks up his gun aims it down and does one of those "tilt his head away as if it's going to spray something out" and pulls the trigger.
                  Then... I hear a POP!
                  Of course, we're at a range, so a "POP" shouldn't be so surprising right? Only except everyone in that range area does a little "flinch" and the guy looks up and out the viewing-glass with the "oh shiX! I just crapped my pants!" look on his face. Why people don't understand the whole concept of "point your firearm down range".... I HAVE NO IDEA? I mean, it's not like it's written in chinese, is it?!?!

                  The RO walks in and find that he discharged the gun, struck the cement ground. Luckily nobody was hit by ricochet or shrapnel. I left after that. I don't think that person was reprimanded in any way.
                  I guess it didn't directly affect me - but seeing someone shot at a RANGE! is not something I am prepared for.
                  Last edited by egDonald; 04-24-2012, 5:10 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    skosh69
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 4290

                    Originally posted by lazyworm
                    Bet you a dollar you were at Target Masters in Milpitas
                    Originally posted by CBruce
                    You sir, get a dollar
                    This is exactly why I will never set foot in that place! I've been invited and refuse everytime.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      toddthedog
                      Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 230

                      worst incident for me was at an indoor range out of state. I was shooting when i heard a boom then everybody started to scream. I guess that some guy rented a gun and killed himself a few lanes over. I'll never go back to another indoor range or any range of that matter that rents any gun. The staff was fast acting to cover up his body. It kinda seemed like that happens alot or something.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SacTown
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 1784

                        Originally posted by toddthedog
                        worst incident for me was at an indoor range out of state. I was shooting when i heard a boom then everybody started to scream. I guess that some guy rented a gun and killed himself a few lanes over. I'll never go back to another indoor range or any range of that matter that rents any gun. The staff was fast acting to cover up his body. It kinda seemed like that happens alot or something.
                        That's pretty nuts, although it does happen quite often. The scary part is if some nut case decides to take someone with them when they decide to blow their head off. That's why most ranges have the buddy rule for renting handguns now. So unless two suicidal friends decide to go out together, we should be somewhat safe from those types.
                        sigpic SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          POLICESTATE
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 18185

                          The 2 ranges in the SF south bay that rent guns will not rent to people who don't have someone with them for this reason.

                          Of course that's not going to help a pair of people who make a suicide pact but it will stop the solo "I'm going to rent a gun and shoot myself" folks.

                          Still, I don't know why people who don't own guns would opt for that method, I guess they don't realize so much could go wrong.

                          If suicide was a legal option it would help with some of this, no one should have to walk into a room and see someone with their brains blown out, or swinging from a light fixture, dead in a car from CO poisoning, at the bottom of a pool chained to some weights or drug overdosing, or a splat stain under a bridge, etc...



                          Originally posted by toddthedog
                          worst incident for me was at an indoor range out of state. I was shooting when i heard a boom then everybody started to scream. I guess that some guy rented a gun and killed himself a few lanes over. I'll never go back to another indoor range or any range of that matter that rents any gun. The staff was fast acting to cover up his body. It kinda seemed like that happens alot or something.
                          -POLICESTATE,
                          In the name of the State, and of the School, and of the Infallible Science


                          sigpic


                          Government Official Lies
                          . F r e e d o m . D i e s .

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            CBruce
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 1993

                            Originally posted by POLICESTATE
                            The 2 ranges in the SF south bay that rent guns will not rent to people who don't have someone with them for this reason.

                            Of course that's not going to help a pair of people who make a suicide pact but it will stop the solo "I'm going to rent a gun and shoot myself" folks.

                            Still, I don't know why people who don't own guns would opt for that method, I guess they don't realize so much could go wrong.

                            If suicide was a legal option it would help with some of this, no one should have to walk into a room and see someone with their brains blown out, or swinging from a light fixture, dead in a car from CO poisoning, at the bottom of a pool chained to some weights or drug overdosing, or a splat stain under a bridge, etc...
                            I don't think most people in the particular mental state to commit suicide really care to make things more comfortable for those left behind. People choosing to blow their brains out with a firearm are often doing so specifically to leave as big of a mess and impact as possible. It's part of the particular mental state that leads them to that decision in the first place.

                            Half my family runs an EMS in Texas and he related a story to one call they had that involved a despondant fellow, his car, a noose, and a solid tree. That's a mental image that sticks with you. You can't tell me he didn't have a more civilized and convenient way of ending his life.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              trew10
                              Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 328

                              i went shooting in the desert with brother and two friends. i had just watched a new show called duck dynasty so while shooting and after a few beer i realized i had my golf set in my trunk, so we tried the shooting the golf ball out of the air with a shotgun and sure enough its harder then it looks. my brother had a 12 gauge mossberg and walks up to one of the ball that was laying on the floor and shoots it, he then picks it up and the bird shot did not penetrate the ball, my bother got mad so he gets supper close and shoots it almost by his foot, a pellet ricochet and got him in the shin he was able to pick it off his skin, he was bleeding but not to bad. two days later he realized he had 3 more pellets inside him one in the thigh and two on the side of his knee we used a dissecto knife to get them out. LESSON LEARNED we no longer drink while we shoot.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                rscot
                                Junior Member
                                • Feb 2010
                                • 73

                                This is why I quit using public ranges. I live in the mountains and am not far from the desert, either of which provide many safe places to shoot without distraction. Public ranges are dangerous places full of irrisponsible and sometimes just stupid people!
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1