Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Have you ever shot anyone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    WolfMansDad
    Senior Member
    • May 2006
    • 838

    Originally posted by Waingro
    On what grounds? This is a gun forum. We do have military members, LEO's, and armed civilians.

    It would be very useful to know how they reacted during a self defense shooting. After reading about the member that got shot at it got me curious.

    I would also like to know how much training really sticks in situations such as these. I would imagine my self just unloading the whole magazine in the general direction. I know I have to consider what is behind the target, shot placement, and such but in such a high stress situation would that really occur? When watching cop videos you can even see officer training go wrong.

    I don't see why this question is not discussable, I am not asking "Who did a drive by and popped a cap in someone?"
    Two reasons. First, pretty much everybody who has had to use a firearm in self defense doesn't want to talk about it. Second, this site gets a lot of attention, and we don't want something said here that could be misquoted or used to cast us in a bad light later. Calguns has been tremendously effective in advancing our right to keep and bear arms in California, and anything even hinting at bloodlust posted on the forum could compromise that.

    It's not that such things shouldn't be talked about. It's that they shouldn't be talked about here.

    Comment

    • #17
      rkt88edmo
      Reptile&Samurai Moderator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2002
      • 10062

      So, as no rules are being broken this thread isn't going to be deleted, closed or removed. Just throwing that out there.

      As far as what training sticks, there is also a lot of evidence out there to read about, as well as anecdotes. "Training" isn't even a very good breakdown since there are so many variations in the type and frequency of training as well as the individual and their general experience. Some people do well under pressure and some fold, and for some they may have experiences with both in different situations.

      Try a dedicated self defense forum or a forum that revolves around dedicated professional use of firearms and you may find more info, but I wouldn't suggest actually asking the question.
      If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
      Use the goog to search calguns

      Comment

      • #18
        Dr. Peter Venkman
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 4899

        Yes. I saw this guy creeping around the corner of my building so I slowly raised up my rifle's sight, put him in the middle of it, relaxed to ease tension off of my trigger finger, exhaled, and left-clicked.
        sigpic
        "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
        Originally posted by berto
        You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

        Comment

        • #19
          Waingro
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2007
          • 1214

          Originally posted by WolfMansDad
          Two reasons. First, pretty much everybody who has had to use a firearm in self defense doesn't want to talk about it. Second, this site gets a lot of attention, and we don't want something said here that could be misquoted or used to cast us in a bad light later. Calguns has been tremendously effective in advancing our right to keep and bear arms in California, and anything even hinting at bloodlust posted on the forum could compromise that.

          It's not that such things shouldn't be talked about. It's that they shouldn't be talked about here.
          This forum is obsessed with Zombies and Bear-People attacks. It is already cast in a negative light. This is a logical and useful question to be asked. It is not controversial either, such as many other topics such as illegal immigration. If you feel uncomfortable about your experience you are not required to post.

          'Hinting at bloodlust' - would it make it better if I changed the name of the topic to "Has anyone here every shot a Zombie/Bear-People/Alien/all the crazy scenarios you guys come up with."?

          Please - I asked a valid question at a valid place - if it makes you uncomfortable no one is forcing you to read it or post on it. One member in the first 30 min posted his brief experience.
          You never hear the phrase eaten dead.

          Comment

          • #20
            ohsmily
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2005
            • 8995

            Originally posted by Waingro
            On what grounds? This is a gun forum. We do have military members, LEO's, and armed civilians.

            It would be very useful to know how they reacted during a self defense shooting. After reading about the member that got shot at it got me curious.

            I would also like to know how much training really sticks in situations such as these. I would imagine my self just unloading the whole magazine in the general direction. I know I have to consider what is behind the target, shot placement, and such but in such a high stress situation would that really occur? When watching cop videos you can even see officer training go wrong.

            I don't see why this question is not discussable, I am not asking "Who did a drive by and popped a cap in someone?"
            If you can't understand why people who have been involved in a real-life shoot probably don't want to discuss it with random people on the internet, then you have a stunted sense of empathy, tact, and sophistication. Perhaps you don't dispute that.
            It is a traumatic, personal issue for those who have been involved. Sure, some people like to go bragging about their military kills or police involved shootings (some are BSing); BUT, most people who have really 'been-there-done-that' don't go bragging about their experience or blabbing about it in public. In fact, I would question the credibility of someone who posted here with enthusiasm about the time they had to shoot and perhaps take someone's life.

            Don't you have any friends who have served in the military? Relatives who are VFWs? Buy them a beer and hear all you can take.
            Last edited by ohsmily; 12-13-2007, 2:19 PM.
            Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/

            Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

            Comment

            • #21
              Waingro
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 1214

              Originally posted by ohsmily
              If you can't understand why people who have been involved in a real-life shoot probably don't want to discuss it with random people on the internet, then you have a stunted sense of empathy, tact, and sophistication. Perhaps you don't dispute that.
              It is a traumatic, personal issue for those who have been involved. Sure, some people like to go bragging about their military kills or police involved shootings (some are BSing); BUT, most people who have really 'been-there-done-that' don't go bragging about their experience or blabbing about it in public.
              I understand why people would not want to post because it might be very traumatic for them.

              Simple solution: They do not have to post. No one is holding a gun to their head (no pun intended). No one is forcing you to post and if it upsets you just pretend like it is not here.

              Please stop posting in this thread if you have nothing to contribute.

              Thank You.
              You never hear the phrase eaten dead.

              Comment

              • #22
                ohsmily
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2005
                • 8995

                Originally posted by Waingro
                Please stop posting in this thread if you have nothing to contribute.

                Thank You.
                No, THANK YOU. I already contributed twice prior to this post.
                Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/

                Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Kestryll
                  Head Janitor
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 21613

                  What constitutes a 'contribution' is subjective.

                  While no one may want to answer the question, asking it is not forbidden nor wrong. If no one answers the questions sinks down in to obscurity.

                  What I find amusing is that there are 21 posts stating that no one will post in response to this question. I'm not entirely sure who is getting 'owned', for lack of a better word, by this thread but I suspect there is plenty to go around.

                  I'm getting a chuckle out of this if nothing else comes of it.
                  sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
                  Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
                  The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
                  The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
                  DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
                  Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Waingro
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 1214

                    Originally posted by Kestryll
                    What constitutes a 'contribution' is subjective.

                    While no one may want to answer the question, asking it is not forbidden nor wrong. If no one answers the questions sinks down in to obscurity.

                    What I find amusing is that there are 21 posts stating that no one will post in response to this question. I'm not entirely sure who is getting 'owned', for lack of a better word, by this thread but I suspect there is plenty to go around.

                    I'm getting a chuckle out of this if nothing else comes of it.
                    If noting else comes of it it will still give us insight.
                    You never hear the phrase eaten dead.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      5968
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 3557

                      Originally posted by Waingro
                      On what grounds? This is a gun forum. We do have military members, LEO's, and armed civilians.

                      It would be very useful to know how they reacted during a self defense shooting. After reading about the member that got shot at it got me curious.

                      I would also like to know how much training really sticks in situations such as these. I would imagine my self just unloading the whole magazine in the general direction. I know I have to consider what is behind the target, shot placement, and such but in such a high stress situation would that really occur? When watching cop videos you can even see officer training go wrong.

                      I don't see why this question is not discussable, I am not asking "Who did a drive by and popped a cap in someone?"
                      For those that have shot someone, it sticks with them. You do not forget about it by going to sleep. You remember it even after years have passed.
                      As far as training goes. If you half *** train then you are right, you probably will have about a 10% better chance of survival. If you truly train, and I don't mean a couple hundred repetitions, I am talking about thousands of repetitions and constantly go over scenarios in training and in your head (both). Ideally you will make your reaction to a situation a "reflex".

                      I am no way implying that I have ever been in a shooting either.
                      sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
                      Originally posted by hoffmang
                      NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        tgriffin
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 5175

                        I literally got shot at last night, and it was traumatizing, but I posted about it so I could work through some of the anxiety of the event here today with everyone, getting their thoughts and opinions about what happened.

                        I'm trying not to thread crap here, but if I had shot someone last night, no one on this board would know about it unless they worked for the Contra Costa Sheriffs. I can't think of anything more deeply personal and terrifying than being forced to take anothers life. I pray that I never have to, but I'm sure as hell going to be ready if I do.
                        Originally posted by pullnshoot25
                        I would love to have a hole cut in the ceiling so I could pop out and BAM! Hit 'em with my spice weasel...
                        Originally posted by aileron
                        The hassle would be between this. (_._) and this (_0_).
                        Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                        When Im wearing a miniskirt than yeah sure I use my foot to flush the urinals all the time!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          CalNRA
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 8686

                          Originally posted by Waingro
                          This forum is obsessed with Zombies and Bear-People attacks. It is already cast in a negative light. This is a logical and useful question to be asked. It is not controversial either, such as many other topics such as illegal immigration. If you feel uncomfortable about your experience you are not required to post.
                          the zombies.....well...you gotta not take it so literally.

                          and the topic of shooting people not controversial? I don't know what universe you hail from but I believe for many of us shooting humans is something we all love to avoid at all cost unles it's to preserve other lives. It's a VERY controversial topic

                          and good job putting illegal immigration and shooting people in the same post. I wonder when you were gonna pull that.



                          yes, it's much better to have the Brady trolls with evidence of how unhuman Calgunners are with discussion of shooting real people than a joke thread on "bear-calvary"
                          Last edited by CalNRA; 12-13-2007, 3:02 PM.
                          Originally posted by cvigue
                          This is not rocket surgery.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            BlackReef
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 3616

                            I was sitting at a Taco Bell and had a .22LR round blast through my back window and out my front. I distinctly remember a loud crack by my right ear and there was a lot of ringing. When I came to my senses and realized what happend, I just see the tail end of a red F-150 take off. Got out of my truck and realized they had shot TWO rounds through my windows. Called the Cops, ended up BS'ing with a LEO about College Football for awhile. Cool guy. To this day I have no idea why they tried to shoot me. But that round could have very easily got me in the back of my head. Just goes to show how quick life can actually end, because I had no idea it was coming.

                            I have pics of my vehicle after the incident I can post.

                            Be careful out there =)

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              QuarterBoreGunner
                              Administrator
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 9389

                              *sigh* Ok, for me personally, what I feel when this topic comes up (as it almost invariably does on gun boards.) is almost akin to... embarrassment. Let me see if I can explain. I don't mind sharing what happened to me, especially if my experience can benefit others. But it's weird volunteering the info... it feels like bragging or internet tough guy posturing. I didn't go out and try and get myself into a self-defense situation, I didn't put myself into risky areas and hang out with sketchy people. It just happened. It's been a long time but 5968 is correct; it never ever goes away. I had to use a firearm in the defense of myself and two other people. A bad man shot at me and I shot back; my aim was better and I shot him twice. He almost died. But he didn't and now he's in prison for a very very long time. Everyone called me a 'hero' and I surely didn't feel like one. It was a horribly traumatic experience for everyone involved. I've never had PTSD but every officer that I've spoken to and friends that have been in combat all say the same thing: it's in you and you never know when it might come out.
                              So like I said, I don't mind sharing info that will help others, but it still feels strange to just step up and say "Yes, I shot a man that was trying to kill me and two others."
                              /Chris

                              I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

                              You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
                              Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
                              Like who?
                              Farmers.
                              Who else?
                              Farmers' mums.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Bizcuits
                                In Memoriam
                                • Aug 2006
                                • 6957

                                The most people I know of who've talked openly about the shootings they've been in are;

                                1) Liars.

                                and

                                2) People paid money to do so.

                                I have a few friends who have served in Iraq and Afghan. Only one of them ever talked of his trigger time. He was Marine and served during 2004 in Fallujah. It took many of weeks, to get him to speak of it.

                                While I do think this is an interesting topic. I don't think its the best for a forum / message board where people largely debate politics and are activists.
                                Owner of Patriot Apparel - Decals, Vintage Signs, Apparel and More!
                                Ebay Store Link
                                Etsy Store Link

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1