Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Keeping gun safe in the garage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Eat Dirt
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2007
    • 9732

    Originally posted by NSR500
    I keep mine in the master bedroom closet. I like being close to my safe.
    Almost the same here .

    Keep mine across from the bed ....
    Makes a Great place on top for the Bedroom T .V.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    I miss the Good 'ol days of Cal -Guns

    Comment

    • #62
      oldsmoboat
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 1303

      When I had mine in the garage, it was bolted to the floor and the wall. I built some shelves along a wall then had a short 90 degree run and the safe sat behind that run, shielded from the street.
      Last edited by oldsmoboat; 02-12-2012, 9:51 AM. Reason: speling...
      Do good recklessly

      Comment

      • #63
        Solid Foundation
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 562

        Originally posted by xxINKxx
        Lol. Typical ppl in SoCal going overboard. Socal isnt a humid enviornent that your safe will have moisture, especially indoors. Maybe in Florida where the air is constantly humid.
        This is not a slam against you but I'm just wondering why you would say something like this on a California specific forum? That's like a gun restricting liberal coming online and saying, "typical gun owner going overboard..."

        My parents live coastal and I work coastal. You'd be amazed at the amount of rust I have on my motorcycle from riding in on those overcast SALTY mornings.

        Comment

        • #64
          general_disarray_prk
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 1520

          If your garage floor is concrete - measure the foot print of your safe, go to TAP Plastics, and have them cut a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plexiglass.
          Place the cut plexiglass under your safe, and it will prevent your safe's bottom/exterior from rusting.
          If you're planning on securing/bolting the safe to the floor, have TAP drill the holes through the plexiglass.

          Put a big can of desiccant in it and recharge regularly.








          Works for me and HTH -
          Last edited by general_disarray_prk; 02-12-2012, 4:24 PM.

          Comment

          • #65
            Javi
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 4540

            Originally posted by general_disarray_prk
            If your garage floor is concrete - measure the foot print of your safe, go to TAP Plastics, and have them cut a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plexiglass.
            Place the cut plexiglass under your safe, and it will prevent your safe's bottom/exterior from rusting.
            If you're planning on securing/bolting the safe to the floor, have TAP drill the holes through the plexiglass.
            Hey, thanks! I've been thinking of putting something under my safe but wasn't sure what to put down there. Was thinking those horse mat things.
            Originally posted by d4v0s
            My girlfriend and i used froglube last night in a pinch and it works great.
            R.I.P. Thomas C.

            Comment

            • #66
              Ponderosa2
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 550

              My neighbor down the street has a really extensive and nice firearm collection..... I know this because his safes are in his garage.... Just saying.

              Comment

              • #67
                general_disarray_prk
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 1520

                Javi,

                You want to put something under it that will not "wick" water & humidity - plywood, particle board, and floor mats do.

                I've seen it where guys have put plywood under their safe, and years later when they make a move they are scratching their head, wondering why the bottom of their safe rusted when they never saw any water on the garage concrete floor.

                The safe does not have to be sitting in a puddle of water for the bottom to rust.

                Rust never sleeps - and when given time it will find it's way into your life...

                HTH-

                Originally posted by Javi
                Hey, thanks! I've been thinking of putting something under my safe but wasn't sure what to put down there. Was thinking those horse mat things.
                Last edited by general_disarray_prk; 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM.

                Comment

                • #68
                  ETD1010
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 1298

                  Originally posted by xxINKxx
                  Lol. Typical ppl in SoCal going overboard. Socal isnt a humid enviornent that your safe will have moisture, especially indoors. Maybe in Florida where the air is constantly humid.
                  Depends where you are. I live in Ventura, and lived in San Diego, where the humidity is constantly in the 50%-65%. That's enough to cause a problem with metals. Even Stainless Steel.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    thegiff
                    Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 363

                    Mine is in the garage, hidden behind stored wood and a ladder, and if the garage is going to be open for any period of time I cover it with cardboard also. Only someone inside the garage can see it. At 2700lb I couldn't get it into the house.

                    With humidity, yes, things will rust in a garage, even in the desert. I'm in a desert area, and yet all of my tools have some corrosion. When it is humid, it is really humid, like during and after a rain. Also the right combination of temperature and humidity change can make moisture condense on everything. Also occasionaly water gets in the garage from washing things, leaks etc. I'd use a goldenrod, but cannot because it would damage the fireproofing, so I'm using desiccant.
                    Last edited by thegiff; 02-18-2012, 7:20 AM. Reason: spell and grammar cleanup
                    So Cal Precision Rifle Team, NRA Life, WEGC Precision Bolt Rifle Director, NRL Member, Bolt Action Rifle Groupie, NRA Pistol Distinguished Expert

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      thegiff
                      Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 363

                      Regarding rust on the bottom of a safe, concrete is porous. The standard test to see if you can epoxy coat a floor is to tape down a sheet of plastic about 3'X3' square for a few days. If wet, or if the concrete blooms (which is the white powdery stuff that concrete sometimes gets) then epoxy coating isn't recommended. This moisture is constantly coming up through the concrete and rusts anything in contact with it, and with epoxy coating can make the coating lift off.
                      So Cal Precision Rifle Team, NRA Life, WEGC Precision Bolt Rifle Director, NRL Member, Bolt Action Rifle Groupie, NRA Pistol Distinguished Expert

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Eat Dirt
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 9732

                        Originally posted by thegiff
                        Regarding rust on the bottom of a safe, concrete is porous. The standard test to see if you can epoxy coat a floor is to tape down a sheet of plastic about 3'X3' square for a few days. If wet, or if the concrete blooms (which is the white powdery stuff that concrete sometimes gets) then epoxy coating isn't recommended. This moisture is constantly coming up through the concrete and rusts anything in contact with it, and with epoxy coating can make the coating lift off.
                        That's some Smart stuff right there .

                        I'm going to remember that / Thanks
                        --------------------------------------------------------------

                        I miss the Good 'ol days of Cal -Guns

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          Turbinator
                          Administrator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 11963

                          Originally posted by Tiberius
                          Maybe a dumb question but - how do you tell if your slab is tensioned?
                          The only way I know of is to look around on your slab to see if it was stamped as such, indicating that it is post-tensioned. All modern homes built on post-tensioned slabs have a stamping telling you not to drill or cut into the slab. Older homes may not.. I don't have enough older home experience to know.

                          Turby

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            One78Shovel
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 2962

                            My safe is in the garage red heads into the concrete with a golden rod. The wife sewed a sheel to fit like a glove over the safe. When I need access, I just flip it like her skirt... lol....

                            -178S

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Knomad
                              Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 288

                              Depends on the location, to some extent. Here in the fog belt it's a no-go.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1