Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Guns from 50 years ago.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Tarn_Helm
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 2126

    No phasers yet in my arsenal . . .

    Originally posted by ap3572001
    Today we have AR's , Clocks, Benelli state of the art shotguns, Red dot sights,lasers , etc.

    How would one feel today with the stuff that was available 50+ years ago ?

    How would a person feel with a basic 4 inch 38/357 revolver, a 1911, 5 shot two inch 38, 12 gauge pump and Marlin 30-30 in a closet?
    You might want to do a little history homework before posting this type of question.

    The M16 (precursor to AR15) has existed pretty much unchanged since 1959--except for addition of assist and changes to cycling mechanism--direct impingement gas operation, etc.

    Glocks are not totally revolutionary--and they came around in 1982. A plastic handgun came out in 1972 from H&K.

    Automatic shotguns have been around since 1898--been for sale commercially since 1900.

    You are going to have to go back more than 50 years (or even 150) if you want talk about weapons which are really substandard for self-defense.

    No offense, but you used pretty inept examples.

    (Though a laser is a fairly recent innovation for use with a handheld self-defense weapon--I'll grant you that.)

    But it is not even clear to me exactly what you mean.

    Are you referring to guns that are 50+ years old?

    Or are you referring to gun designs which are 50+ years old?

    None of the guns you have mentioned are what I would call "new."

    Know what I mean?

    But I tend to read more history than most people, so my notions of "time" and "change" are probably a bit different from yours.

    To my mind, not much has happened in the last 50 to 100 years that is revolutionary in gun design.

    When we start discussing "Star Trek" style phasers--that will be the dawn of a new day in handheld self-defense weapons.
    "The Religion of Peace": Islam: What the West Needs to Know.

    America is Not a Democracy

    ". . . all [historical] experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms
    [of governmental abuses and usurpations] to which they are accustomed."
    Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

    NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

    Comment

    • #17
      dadoody
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Oct 2005
      • 14692

      Originally posted by ap3572001
      Today we have AR's , Clocks, Benelli state of the art shotguns, Red dot sights,lasers , etc.

      How would one feel today with the stuff that was available 50+ years ago ?

      How would a person feel with a basic 4 inch 38/357 revolver, a 1911, 5 shot two inch 38, 12 gauge pump and Marlin 30-30 in a closet?
      More than adequate.

      "50 year old" technology still in use today with deadly effective results:

      m14/m1a:


      1911:


      Pump Shotgun:



      Even the .38 and .357 revolvers are fine for home and business defense.
      FUS RO DAH! ==== ┻━┻

      Comment

      • #18
        dadoody
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 14692

        Originally posted by jimmykan
        What's a "Clock"?

        FUS RO DAH! ==== ┻━┻

        Comment

        • #19
          mag360
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2009
          • 5198

          1961, they had AR-15's back then! So i'd take one of those, a pump shotgun, an M1A with a long barrel, a 1911 and a browning hi-power. oh and a snub nose .357 for concealed carry.
          just happy to be here. I like talking about better ways to protect ourselves.

          Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

          CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

          NRA Member JOIN HERE/

          Comment

          • #20
            Norsemen308
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 1922

            if i had 5 seconds to grab guns and go... you can bet a 1911, m1a, and an 870 would be all i need... by far the "toyota's" of guns LOL
            Happiness is a WARM AR

            Comment

            • #21
              joepamjohn
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 2709

              I would have no problem with the older stuff, in fact you just don't see much of it at shops these days. It's a generation thing. Most shooters under 40ish prefer the polymer black tacticool stuff since that is what they see in movies, games, etc. The over 45 gang can better relate to lever guns, revolvers, shotguns (with actual wood) since they grew up with them.

              Since I am over 50, I think you can guess which I prefer.
              Last edited by joepamjohn; 09-25-2011, 3:30 PM.
              "You can't handle the truth"

              Comment

              • #22
                Merc1138
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2009
                • 19742

                Originally posted by Tarn_Helm
                You might want to do a little history homework before posting this type of question.

                The M16 (precursor to AR15) has existed pretty much unchanged since 1959--except for addition of assist and changes to cycling mechanism--direct impingement gas operation, etc.

                Glocks are not totally revolutionary--and they came around in 1982. A plastic handgun came out in 1972 from H&K.

                Automatic shotguns have been around since 1898--been for sale commercially since 1900.

                You are going to have to go back more than 50 years (or even 150) if you want talk about weapons which are really substandard for self-defense.

                No offense, but you used pretty inept examples.

                (Though a laser is a fairly recent innovation for use with a handheld self-defense weapon--I'll grant you that.)

                But it is not even clear to me exactly what you mean.

                Are you referring to guns that are 50+ years old?

                Or are you referring to gun designs which are 50+ years old?

                None of the guns you have mentioned are what I would call "new."
                I was going to make a similar post, but you nailed it. The AR is pretty much 52 years old, polymer pistols have been around for 43 years(the hk vp70 is from 1970), and autoloading shotguns definitely aren't even as recent as either of those.

                Even if you look at the SCAR, ACR, ARX, etc. they're still all re-hashes of the AR or AK(64 year old design) with some ambi controls thrown in, big deal. You aren't going to be doing anything better with a SCAR or ACR than you would an m4, and that's why our military still hasn't bothered to change yet. It would cost billions and make no noticeable difference.

                Regarding the handguns, yeah the polymer frames save some weight, but that's not revolutionary, it's just a moderate savings in weight. Polymer frame handguns have nothing to do with accessory rails on guns, nor has it made the handgun itself really any more effective. We're still primarily shooting 9mm, .40, and .45 out of the things.

                The technology we use in the firearms commonly available is already 40-50 years old(or older). Anyone that claims otherwise is a marketing shill for whatever company they say has a new "revolutionary" product, because none of it is.

                A 1911, marlin 30-30, pump shotguns, and revolvers... that's 100 year old technology.

                Comment

                • #23
                  dadoody
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 14692

                  Originally posted by joepamjohn
                  I would have no problem with the older stuff, in fact you just don't see much of it at shops these days. It's a generation thing. Most shooters under 40ish prefer the polymer black tacticool stuff since that is what they see in movies, games, etc. The over 45 gang can better relate to lever guns, revolvers, shotguns (with actual wood) since they grew up with them.

                  Since I am over 50, I think you can guess which I prefer.
                  Got a 1911, m1a scout, mossberg 590, sks, snub 38, large 357, glock.

                  All in all, if it was SHTF and I could only grab 1 long gun, it'd be a coin toss between the sks and m1a. handgun, it'd be the 357mag revolver.

                  If it was home defense, I'd choose the mossberg and 1911.

                  For regular concealed carry, the glock 30.
                  FUS RO DAH! ==== ┻━┻

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Levetti
                    Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 331

                    My newest firearms are a 1956 Garand and a 1960s Colt .357 revolver. I haven't purchased a more "modern" gun because I haven't shot any "modern" guns I like better than my Garand or .357; ARs don't do it for me and even M1As aren't the same as a Garand. I might have to get a 1911 soon though.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Shellshocker66
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2011
                      • 1760

                      I would love to regain some of the 50 plus year old weapons I had to sell due to financial problems. The one that stands out the most is the WW2 Winchester trench shotgun I had to sell which was just a beauty and got the job done just as well as anything today on the market.
                      "I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." --Susan B. Anthony



                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Eddy's Shooting Sports
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2011
                        • 1329

                        My G Series FAL is just about 50 years old. I'd grab that at a moment's notice if I needed to reach out and touch something.

                        As for handguns, 1911's and Hi-Powers pretty much established the modern benchmark for handguns in 1911 & 1935 respectively.
                        Greg David
                        Eddy's Shooting Sports
                        (650)969-GUNS

                        400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
                        Mountain View, CA 94043

                        www.eddysguns.com

                        Tue-Fri 12-7, Sat 11-5

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Iskra
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 513

                          I've knocked down more ducks with my A5 (from my grandfather, he was born in 1911) than with any of my other shotguns.

                          I've taken more game with my 1958 Model 70 than any other rifle.

                          I've put more rounds downrange into the black circle with my 1918 m1911 than any other pistol.

                          The gun under my side of the bed is a 5-shot revolver in .357.

                          What was your question again?
                          I don't shoot because I like guns, I shoot because I hate paper.

                          There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
                          -PJ O'Rourke

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            nick
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 19152

                            Originally posted by ap3572001
                            Today we have AR's , Clocks, Benelli state of the art shotguns, Red dot sights,lasers , etc.

                            How would one feel today with the stuff that was available 50+ years ago ?

                            How would a person feel with a basic 4 inch 38/357 revolver, a 1911, 5 shot two inch 38, 12 gauge pump and Marlin 30-30 in a closet?
                            I would imagine a person would feel just fine. That set you listed looks good to me, and it's probably no different from what a lot of people have.
                            DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                            DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              nick
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 19152

                              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                              Well, you've just listed my GTGs except I have 3 pre '64 Winchester '94s in 30-30 an the only Marlin lever gun I have is a .22lr.

                              Hell, I fell comfortable enough with a .45 Kentucky FL pistol, a .54 cap lock rifle and my SxS 12g frontloader. When I need to feel tacticool, I can grab a C&B revolver and my .54 cal swivel gun (two barrels).

                              Of course, if 50 years old (or a copy thereof) is the only requirement, Why not include the +64 year old AK47? BARs, Thompsons, Grease guns, etc. have been around even longer than that. How about the FA broomhandle pistols?


                              Wish I could get most of those now
                              DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                              DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Cali-Shooter
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 9192

                                50 years ago, the M1 carbine was the M4 carbine of the day.

                                50 years ago, police sidearms were .38 or .357 magnum revolvers.

                                50 years ago, 1911's were still in fashion (and still are).

                                50 years ago, guns were sold in Hardware stores and at Sears.
                                In Glock We Trust.
                                Originally posted by jeep7081
                                My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
                                Originally posted by AleksandreCz
                                Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
                                WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
                                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1