Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Martin B Retting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Deadbolt
    CGSSA Associate
    • Dec 2009
    • 6552

    been there a total of once.

    It was PACKED.


    they were still very professional and made themselves available and amicable to me.

    This was significant in my opinion, I was wearing a leopard print suit at the time and no questions asked

    edit: would happily return in the future and based on my experience, I would recommend to a friend
    Just another Boy and His Dog.

    Comment

    • #17
      aermotor
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Apr 2009
      • 2566

      Originally posted by Tanner68
      Have you ever given a few moments consideration to what it is like to be on the other side of the counter at a store like MBR. Whether you are the owner, manager, or a salesman, I am sure there are plenty of sources of frustration and aggravation. Cut them some slack

      I think no matter how bad of a day an employee is having, that doesn't give them the right to be a dickwad to customers. Your argument seems entirely invalid.

      If they gave a hoot about customer service and repeat business I'm sure they would act that way. They obviously don't see the potential value that PPTs can bring to them.

      Comment

      • #18
        Briancnelson
        Senior Member
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2011
        • 802

        I live near Martin B Retting, so i spend a lot of time window shopping there, and I go there for cleaning supplies and the like.

        I have to say, they have an excellent selection, middle of the road to high prices, and the customer service can either be great or total crap depending on which employee you get.

        I've gotten a feel for which ones will deal with me nicely, so I wait for them now, rather than take the first available. I'd rather wait and deal with someone who isn't a jerk.

        They should really take the time to clean up their act and make all their employees act as professionally as the better ones.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          Omil
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 2130

          Originally posted by Jack_Bauer
          I'm not excusing the store's behavior towards you, but for $10 they actually do quite a bit of work.
          They process the all the paperwork, perform back end record keeping that you don't see, they open themselves up to liability, ATF checks, DOJ checks, they're storing the firearm in their safe for at least 10 to up to 30 days, etc. If it was a "sign here and forget the rest" process, most shops wouldn't be so bitter about performing PPTs
          +1..lots of work!
          sigpic
          All Gave Some, Some Gave All...

          Comment

          • #20
            Bobby B.
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2010
            • 80

            Originally posted by Jack_Bauer
            I'm not excusing the store's behavior towards you, but for $10 they actually do quite a bit of work.
            Digging ditches is quite a bit of work.

            Overseeing the filling out and filing of a few forms and putting something in a safe, not so much.

            I've never done a PPT and not had the counterperson do something else at the same time, e.g., helping show something and answer questions to another customer. I'm fine with that; they're multi-tasking to help out customers, their bread-and-butter. I'd rather spend my money at a competent FFL who knows how to make the most of their time while efficiently serving the needs of people.

            If the machinations of conducting a PPT are "a lot of work" to some people, then I'd hate to see them in a job situation where they actually had do buckle down to do something.
            Last edited by Bobby B.; 09-16-2011, 4:13 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              Rob454
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2006
              • 11254

              Originally posted by CBRKURT
              I
              I'm thinking to myself you should be so happy to make $10 dollars from doing basically nothing. If this were Nevada I just would have sold the gun from my house and you would make nothing.
              While there is absolutely no love lost between me and MBR you ever hear of the saying The juice isn't worth the squeeze? IMO $10 is a joke. Most FFLs do the PPTs without any whining because they know its a condition of the FFL license and that they want the customer to come back to buy other things. I can't imagine a one that does it because they are making money off the processing of the DROS. I guess you can make money off of the DROS fees if you have one every 10 minutes. I bet if you poll all the FFLs there will be very few that actually want to do PPTs

              Comment

              • #22
                CBRKURT
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 855

                Originally posted by Rob454
                While there is absolutely no love lost between me and MBR you ever hear of the saying The juice isn't worth the squeeze? IMO $10 is a joke. Most FFLs do the PPTs without any whining because they know its a condition of the FFL license and that they want the customer to come back to buy other things. I can't imagine a one that does it because they are making money off the processing of the DROS. I guess you can make money off of the DROS fees if you have one every 10 minutes. I bet if you poll all the FFLs there will be very few that actually want to do PPTs
                $10 May very well be a joke but at least they're making that. When they became an FFL in this state they knew full well that people were going to go to them for a PPT at one point or another. There is no reason to act like a a**hole to a customer that has to go to an FFL to transfer a weapon. If it's such an inconvenience then don't be an FFL here.
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ


                SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POBOB M/C. PFFP

                Comment

                • #23
                  SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1454

                  I've done one PPT at Martin B. Retting. I give their customer service a B-.
                  ____________________________________

                  Deterrence, Not Disarmament, Ended the Cold War.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Peter W Bush
                    Calguns Supreme Overlord
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 4727

                    I went to Rettings for the first time a few months ago. My hunting buddy picked up a NEW Benelli SBE in camo for $1000. A STEAL!! I talked to the guy behind the counter and he told me about a Beretta M9 Desert Storm edition for $539.

                    Needless to say, we bought the guns from them. When I went to pick it up, a different guy helped me out and sold me 2 factory mags NIB, some safe dehumidifiers, and some other crap and rang it up at over $100. He charged me $60.

                    AND to top it off, my first DROS was cancelled because of the stupid 1 in 30 rule. They were VERY nice about it.

                    I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go back to Rettings. A few of the guys there were into all of the stuff I like. Handguns, collectables, sporting shotguns, and precision rifles. I actually do not set foot in there anymore because I can't walk out without buying a gun.

                    Just my $.02
                    Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

                    Originally posted by TURBOELKY
                    Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
                    Originally posted by TURBOELKY
                    put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      bigmike82
                      Bit Pusher
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 3876

                      "Have you ever given a few moments consideration to what it is like to be on the other side of the counter at a store like MBR. Whether you are the owner, manager, or a salesman, I am sure there are plenty of sources of frustration and aggravation. Cut them some slack. "

                      Retting is notorious for being whiny children when it comes to PPTs. It's been an ongoing issue with an otherwise cool store. There are some employees who provide exemplary customer service (Randy (I think that's his name) specifically).

                      I'll still drive out of my way to Ammo Brothers to buy stuff there instead of MBR despite living less than five minutes away. I'll go to MBR when I'm short on time, but that's about it.
                      -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        IntoForever
                        CGSSA Associate
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 3891

                        I've been to MBR a few times and they've gone out of their way to help me. Maybe a Delta Bravo customer pissed them off?
                        With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

                        Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
                        5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
                        Originally posted by pyromensch
                        damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          shinbone
                          Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 281

                          I had a good experience there. Came lunchtime and the guy was doing all he could to DROS me, despite being nagged allover the place and being new at it. Previous time, it was so busy I wasn't expecting anyone to help me. One of the guys asked me if Id been helped. Pretty good in my book. Dunno, maybe you got someone on a bad day, or one of you guys inadvertantly gave a bad impression. I don't know.
                          Rails and beavertails = business up front and party in the back.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            smle-man
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 10605

                            I usually buy something from the store that I'm PPT at including the silly lock even if it costs $5 more than Big 5. I try to give them something on top of the $10 and sometimes I even see a firearm to buy while I'm there. All that said the last time I was at MBR was probably 10 years ago. They were nice to me. When I asked if MBR himself was still around they said that his ashes are in the safe!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Sailormilan2
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 3484

                              They had an M1 Garand listed on GunBroker or Auction Arms and said it was Not For Sale in CA.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Rob454
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 11254

                                Originally posted by CBRKURT
                                $10 May very well be a joke but at least they're making that. When they became an FFL in this state they knew full well that people were going to go to them for a PPT at one point or another. There is no reason to act like a a**hole to a customer that has to go to an FFL to transfer a weapon. If it's such an inconvenience then don't be an FFL here.
                                yeah dude I know all that . And yes its true no matter what being a A hole with the customer gets you nowhere. I did a PPT there once with another calgunner. Swore I will never go there again and I haven't given them ANY of my business. yes they have bad customer service when it comes to PPTs.
                                Sounds to me like there was attitude on both sides of the counter from what I read.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1