Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cannot pursue my hobby!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    FS00008
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 1975

    Originally posted by Muscles Glasses
    So I live at home and am ready to start building some AKs (LEGALLY) but my parents are very.... lets say unknowledgeable when it comes to firearms and laws pertaining to them. I cannot even purchase a replacement mag release for my arsenal sgl without my father telling me how it is illegal (the pistol grip has been removed) and they will kick me out if i continue to purchase "assault weapons". In the last couple days I have purchased some cleaning supplies and paints; and by the time I had gotten home I found the shipping packaging cut open with the invoice on top of the box. They are going through my mail attempting to catch me in the act and hugely invading my privacy!!! I don't want to go against what they said and start buying the tools and parts kits, but I will not be able to move out and get a place of my own for another 3 to 4 years and I fear by then the supply of parts kits will have dried up or have been outlawed. Does anybody here have the same problem or have any advice on the matter?

    Mailboxes Etc.


    You're welcome.
    "No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
    legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer."

    Comment

    • #62
      repubconserv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 3056

      Originally posted by CaliforniaLiberal
      OP, you should hire a lawyer and get a couple of lawsuits against your parents filed. Not only are they violating the sanctity of your personal mail they are depriving you of your 2nd Amendment Rights! That's just not fair!

      They should be grateful for the privilege of providing you with food and shelter at no cost to you. It is your birthright. You're a full grown adult now and shouldn't have to abide by any parental restrictions any more.

      With any luck you can get a judgement against them and take the house and put them on the street.

      And you are correct, the supply of parts kits is dwindling away to nothing even as we speak. Everyone else is already well supplied for the coming years, why aren't you? Also, don't forget that the UN Small Arms Treaty will outlaw the importation of all firearms parts kits as well as assembled firearms. Boy, are you screwed.

      Man, oh man, does your life suck or what?
      at first I was like but then, I saw what you did there

      OP, I really want to rebuild a mid-60s era chevelle, but my mom says that

      1. I am not turning her garage into a car shop
      2. before I sink tens of thousands of dollars into a car, I better not be relying on her for money anymore

      It sucks (and I see your situation is much different), but again, her house, her rules. If you can not convince them to "turn from the dark side"... ya got to say, "oh well" and cross your fingers that AK kits will still be around in a few years.

      Someone said earlier to buy one and ship it to a friend's house... if you are really this worried, do that, and keep it there under wraps for a few years.

      Comment

      • #63
        liketoshoot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 3810

        so you are at least 21 yo, move out or quit complaining.
        mommy do your laundry too?
        sigpic
        Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.

        Comment

        • #64
          HighLander51
          Banned
          • Feb 2010
          • 5144

          Comment

          • #65
            ls2monaro
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 601

            If you have money to build AK's, you don't need to be living at home. I did school full time and worked full time. It is difficult but manageable you need to know how to use your time wisely. If you don't like the rules, move out, don't complain about living rent free.

            Comment

            • #66
              Trigger42
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 65

              What a terrible story

              Comment

              • #67
                joefreas
                • Jan 2010
                • 2421

                Finish college, get job, get your own place, buy as many guns/parts kits as you want.
                If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

                Originally posted by XDRoX
                Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
                "A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
                Ron Paul

                Comment

                • #68
                  bruceflinch
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 40155

                  Originally posted by dwtt
                  I was in the same situation as you when I was in college, except I didn't have the money for college so I worked to pay for school, never mind buying guns. Here's my advice. Postpone buying gun kits. You worry about buying parts now because you are afraid prices will go up in the future. Instead, concentrate on college and get straight A's. After graduation, you'll get a well paying job and will be able to buy a house before you're 30, buy all the guns you want, and the "expensive" gun parts kits will seem like spare change when you have a 6-figure salary. You can even go so far as to buy a Land Rover and date 20 year old girls you meet at clubs who act like porno stars. Maybe not on the last part.

                  Let's get this kid through college before giving him the "Neil" talk...


                  I think the OP has figured out to do the right thing. I didn't have his luck. W/ two brothers already in college, I had to join the Navy to get out on my own. Guess it didn't kill me..

                  Good Luck, OP!
                  Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                  I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                  Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                  Secret Club Member?.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    Yep, their house, their rules. But, you could always invite them to a knowledgable local gun store and have them educated on the subject. It might change their mind to see AKs being sold at places like Big5 and Turner's.

                    You could get a storage unit and store your stuff there.



                    Originally posted by Cokebottle
                    If you're old enough to be building your own AKs (I'm assuming you're 18), then you're old enough to where you should be on your own unless you're a full time college student.
                    There is no age restriction on owning or manufacturing your own long gun. A five year old could probably make an AK without any hands on help and it would be legally his/hers period.
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      Trigger42
                      Junior Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 65

                      What a terrible story

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Gatotsu77
                        Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 262

                        My mother was vehemently against firearms, and forbode anyone from owning one in her house. (she wouldn't even permit firearms lookalikes; i.e. airsoft guns) I had a friend buy me an airsoft gun when I was 17 (yes, I know that was illegal for them to do... it was a long time ago, its over and done with) and I kept it at home. Ultimately, I got caught (in a BAD way.. if you really want to know, I'll explain further) and my parents found out about it. To say that my mother had a hard time trusting me for a LONG time would be an understatement.

                        I will admit, I did end up purchasing my 1911 while still living under her roof. I was stressed out about it every single day, but I felt it to be necessary for the protection of my family. I wanted several firearms, but trying to at least somewhat respect my mother's wishes, I opted to stick with just the one until I moved out.

                        To this day, my mother may not realize that I owned my handgun while living within her house, but I'm fairly certain they've pieced it together from conversations we've had. She is no longer as anti-gun as she used to be, and has even permitted me to bring my firearms into her house twice now. It sucks to hear this, but really, you ought to try and be respectful of their rules while you live under their roof. I now live under my own (well, shared with my gf) roof, and I am fortunate that I've gotten her involved in the hobby. She had been interested for a long while before I met her, but hadn't done much beyond one or two trips to the range with her friend. She loves hitting the range nowadays. (though it is something we can't afford to do often currently) One day, you will have your own place.. and it won't be as far off as it might feel now. Try to have a bit of patience for your parents sake, and it will pay off in the end.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          The Virus
                          Banned
                          • May 2011
                          • 1135

                          Put on your big boy pants..........

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Stonewalker
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2780

                            Move out.
                            member: Electronic Frontier Foundation, NRA, CGF

                            Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              spdrcr
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 2108

                              Originally posted by Cokebottle
                              Their house, their rules.
                              +1

                              Stop spending your money on "toys" and move out if you don't like their rules.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                MrExel17
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Feb 2011
                                • 9170

                                Hate to say it, but you might want to save up to find your own place!Good Luck!
                                "Professionals practice to get it right, Operators practise to get it wrong."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1