Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Why so few 45 acp Carbines.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • acaligunner
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2008
    • 8031

    Why so few 45 acp Carbines.

    I have always thought that a nice 45 acp carbine would be a terrific SD arm, but when you look around for them, they are few and far from being made.

    WHY?

    I bet it would be a perfect arm for the house, or out to 100 yrds.

    Also can anyone tell me why the H&K USP only accepts 10 round mags, without being modified?

    Disclaimer, I know the Ca law is 10 rounds and under, just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.

    acaligunner
    Vida Loca Homes
  • #2
    ubet
    Senior Member
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2011
    • 1557

    Far as pistol rounds in a carbine, their is A LOT better choices. 45lc, 44/40, 44mag, 500sw, , all come to mind, and are in rifles. These cartridges all have more power, better trajectory (yes I know its a pistol cartridge and not a 1000yd paper puncher).

    Comment

    • #3
      ireload
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 2589

      I would assume it depends on consumer demand.

      Comment

      • #4
        Merc1138
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19742

        Probably due to being kinda pointless thanks to minimum OAL and barrel length requirements.

        Unless you're getting an SBR, why bother with a 26"(outside CA) 16" barrel pistol caliber weapon?

        The Kriss super-v looks nice, until you have to put a giant barrel on it, pin the stock, and put a mag lock in place, or just have a pistol version that ends up being bulky since the civilian version is semi-auto only anyway.

        Comment

        • #5
          CAL.BAR
          CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
          • Nov 2007
          • 5632

          Hell I have two! Thompson 1928 (RAW) and HK USC/UMP. Both are "choppers" and devastating at close range. But as far as home defense, even the polymer UMP is relatively large and unwieldy to keep "at the ready" for my (if not most) home protection scenarios. For most of us, a simple pistol is more than enough and much easier to secure an a small available safe.

          Comment

          • #6
            Maddog5150
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2006
            • 10526

            Originally posted by ubet
            Far as pistol rounds in a carbine, their is A LOT better choices. 45lc, 44/40, 44mag, 500sw, , all come to mind, and are in rifles. These cartridges all have more power, better trajectory (yes I know its a pistol cartridge and not a 1000yd paper puncher).
            This is a great anwser. If you honestly want a kick *** all around pistol carbine, find an old ruger semi 44mag. I know I know, its not all black and wont be on a video game but its way better for distance than a 45ACP carbine and also better characteristics for hunting.
            Other options for tacticool carbines will be an AR-15 in 45acp
            Kriss
            HiPoint
            Buy my EO Tech XPS3-0!!!

            For those nutjobs who like to use the word "gouge"
            Note: I did not write the above article.

            Any carpenters in Socal want a side project?

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Uriah02
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 3149

              Between the Kriss and HK USC I can't think of any other .45ACP Carbines. I have to agree with Merc, once you get to the barrel and overall length requirements the appeal drops off.
              sigpic
              OIF 07-09 Veteran
              NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member

              Comment

              • #8
                bill_k_lopez
                Banned
                • May 2011
                • 2836

                Originally posted by Uriah02
                Between the Kriss and HK USC I can't think of any other .45ACP Carbines. I have to agree with Merc, once you get to the barrel and overall length requirements the appeal drops off.
                I'm in the market for one in .45 acp right now too.

                Here is what I've found

                Kiris
                HK USC
                MasterPiece Arms .45 ACP
                Hi-Point carbine .45
                Olypic Arms M.F.R. .45ACP Carbine
                Marlin Camp Carbine
                Beretta Storm CX4

                I'm leaning towards the Storm right now, but trying to convince myself that if I'm going to spend $700 on it I might as well spend $1400 on the HK

                Comment

                • #9
                  jdberger
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 8944

                  If you look real hard, you might be able to find a Winchester 92 in .45 ACP. Good luck on that.

                  A company called Nighthawk or something (or maybe Linda?) made a .45 carbine, too. I also recall folks using Sten or Sterling kits to make guns that ran on Greasegun mags. Finally - I believe that there was an Uzi in .45...
                  Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

                  90% of winning is simply showing up.

                  "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

                  sigpic
                  NRA Benefactor Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    iareConfusE
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 4464

                    Originally posted by acaligunner
                    I have always thought that a nice 45 acp carbine would be a terrific SD arm, but when you look around for them, they are few and far from being made.

                    WHY?

                    I bet it would be a perfect arm for the house, or out to 100 yrds.

                    Also can anyone tell me why the H&K USP only accepts 10 round mags, without being modified?

                    Disclaimer, I know the Ca law is 10 rounds and under, just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.

                    acaligunner
                    What do you mean the USP only accepts 10 round mags without being modified?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hellraiser
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 2347

                      I read some where the 45 acp camp carbine can fit xd mags with very little modification... That would seem like a very cool way to go if it's true...
                      I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. --James "Logan" Howlett

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CHS
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 11338

                        Originally posted by hellraiser
                        I read some where the 45 acp camp carbine can fit xd mags with very little modification... That would seem like a very cool way to go if it's true...
                        The Camp 45 takes 1911 mags. I don't know how you would fit XD mags in there.

                        The Camp 9 takes S&W 5900 series magazines, which you can find in capacities up to 30rd's. I've got a bunch of 20rd'ers for mine.
                        Please read the Calguns Wiki
                        Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                        --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          acaligunner
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 8031

                          Originally posted by iareConfusE
                          What do you mean the USP only accepts 10 round mags without being modified?

                          http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hkusp4512mag.html

                          I was talking about the HK USC, which only takes 10 round mags.



                          I have the HK pistols, and I know they have been neutered from 12 to 10 rounds.

                          acaligunner
                          Vida Loca Homes

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JaMail
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 1897

                            turners has the hi point in stock.. not a bad little carbine... alot of options for under 400
                            Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

                            WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Grumpyoldretiredcop
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 6437

                              Originally posted by acaligunner
                              I was talking about the HK USC, which only takes 10 round mags.



                              I have the HK pistols, and I know they have been neutered from 12 to 10 rounds.

                              acaligunner
                              Because HK was playing the PC game in order to sell the weapon in the US at the time it was being designed.

                              The USC can easily (but not necessarily cheaply) be converted to accept magazines of a more reasonable capacity. By the time I was done, I could have purchased a pretty darn nice AR and a bunch of ammo to practice with, too.

                              As to why there are so few .45 ACP carbines, I'd suspect that it has to do with combining the length of a carbine with a low-powered/short-ranged (compared to rifle rounds) pistol round without the SMG's advantage of fully automatic fire. Don't get me wrong - I love my GG converted USC, but if it came down to home defense, a pistol would do a better job, and in the field, if a rifle caliber carbine is available, the USC is overshadowed.
                              I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1