Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 vs .308

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    The504
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 61

    Originally posted by DannyInSoCal
    Buy a 91/30 Mosin bare unit and a Monte Carlo stock - Then grab 400+ rounds of 7.62x51.

    All-in waaaaaay under $300.

    Poor mans 30-06 for targets and deer/hogs.

    Upgrade when the rifle is holding you back.....

    You aren't that far away - Pay for the range time and I'll supply the rifle and ammo so you can try the combo out...
    I had that in mind too. Great minds think alike what can I say?

    Comment

    • #32
      E. Fudd
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2006
      • 632

      Originally posted by DannyInSoCal
      Buy a 91/30 Mosin bare unit and a Monte Carlo stock - Then grab 400+ rounds of 7.62x51.

      Shouldn't that be 7.62x54R? Or is there a .308 variant I'm not aware of?

      Comment

      • #33
        misterjake
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 1034

        7.62x51mm is NATO which means if SHTF, there will be more .308 available than .30-06.
        Last edited by misterjake; 07-27-2011, 10:08 PM.

        Comment

        • #34
          CHS
          Moderator Emeritus
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2008
          • 11338

          Originally posted by misterjake
          7.62x52mm is NATO
          Huh... Must have missed that meeting.

          Is that the new .308 or something??
          Please read the Calguns Wiki
          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
          --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

          Comment

          • #35
            Jwind
            Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 174

            I've had this debate myself awhile back, between the .308, 30-06, and 300wm. Ultimately went with a Remington 700 in .308.

            Shot the 300 from a calgunner who said he would let me shoot his rifle. Recoil was more then I expected, and I couldn't see myself shooting the thing for anymore then 10-20 minutes at a time. Also, I had no intention of shooting pass 400-600 yards, so that ruled out the 300.

            And like somebody stated above, ballistics wise the 30-06 and .308 are the same. Albeit the 06 can handle a heavier load but I didn't plan on hunting big game, like a bear or something. Plus the .308 alot cheaper to fire.

            7.62x54r is fun too with a Mosin. I would swap out the steel buttplate though, thing kicks like a mule with it on lol. Great fun for around $300 otd.

            Comment

            • #36
              misterjake
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 1034

              Originally posted by CHS
              Huh... Must have missed that meeting.

              Is that the new .308 or something??
              Ok, fixed it.

              Comment

              • #37
                Remus
                Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 436

                Family deer rifle 30-06 I can't break tradition.

                Comment

                • #38
                  sholling
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 10360

                  Originally posted by The504
                  Just bought a brand new Ruger 10/22. What are the pros and cons about a .223 also is savage a good manufacturer?
                  223 is cheaper than 308 to plink with. Accessorize the crap out of that 10-22 and get really good with it and then start looking at long range target rifles.
                  "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                  Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    The504
                    Junior Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 61

                    I want to get a another rifle already. I just put a scope on it and thats were I'm going to stop. I'm just looking to have a fun plinking/target take down med sized game and be able to put rounds through it with out breaking the bank.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1