Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Revolver breech face pitting...should I worry?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ander
    Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 266

    Revolver breech face pitting...should I worry?

    I was cleaning my S&W 642Pro this evening and noticed some pitting on the breech face.

    I'm guessing this was from a bad round I fired. Is this normal and should I worry?
    Attached Files
  • #2
    ander
    Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 266

    Has anyone seen this before?

    Comment

    • #3
      bjl333
      C3 Contributor
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2009
      • 7010

      Send the Pics to S & W and see what they say! Lifetime Warranty...
      Wanna learn to shoot SKEET? I am here to introduce all shooters to the sport of SKEET Shooting ....
      CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT >>> SoCal Skeet Clinic
      SKEET SHOOTING CLINIC
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        ojisan
        Agent 86
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2008
        • 11781

        Looks like one pit in the aluminum frame and one pit in the steel firing pin bushing.
        When the gun is fired, the back of the case hits hard against the breechface.
        Anything that is in between the case head and breechface (dirt, etc) is going to get smashed flat....unless it is really hard, in this case, it has to go somewhere so it will make room for itself by forming a dent.
        (Sometimes even new brass cases will have small burrs on them).
        The aluminum frame is relatively soft and easily dented.
        The steel bushing is pretty hard but can be dented as we see.
        I'm sure the brass cases that made these dents are long gone...if you had them I suspect they will show obvious matching marks.

        I wouldn't worry about it.

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        I don't really care, I just like to argue.

        Comment

        • #5
          ander
          Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 266

          Great info. Thanks, guys!

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1