Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

was this true during 'rodney king' riots?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    DELTA
    Member
    • Jun 2005
    • 170

    Originally posted by ldivinag
    i read in a post in warrifles.com, that when the riots broke out, the government ordered the gun shops to either close down or stop selling ammo?


    true?


    The riots broke out after the 10:45-11:00 AM not guilty verdict on a Wednesday. By late afternoon on the same day, Tom Bradley, than mayor of Los Angeles, ordered all stores, within the city limits of Los Angeles, to cease the sales of guns and ammunition.

    When the Korean store owners were being attacked by then, the Korean language radio station(s) were calling all the gun stores throughout Southern California and relaying back the info on the air (in Korean), telling their listeners which stores still had ammo.


    Any longer version of those 5 days in 1992 will be recounted upon further demand, time permitting.

    Comment

    • #17
      Paratus et Vigilans
      In Memoriam
      • Nov 2006
      • 1510

      Originally posted by tenpercentfirearms
      If Taft ever riots, you will probably see an unpresedented group of rednecks around my gun shop with all sorts of weaponry. My partner has a loyal following of family (I never knew he had so many neices and nephews, everyone calls him Uncle Dean) and they would all love to come stand around our compound (the shop and the recycling center) with guns with the odd chance they get to shoot a looter. Seriously the thought makes me laugh.
      No offense, Wes, but if everybody in Taft all turned out at once, you still might not have enough numbers to qualify as a genuine "riot."

      Then again, look at the famous "outlaw biker" takeover of Hollister in the 1950's. Taft is probably bigger now than Hollister was then, so . . . yeah, you can go ahead and have a riot if you feel like it. Um . . . do you have anything there to riot about? I don't get the sense that Taft is, like, a seething hotbed of racial tension, or anything like that.

      Maybe things might get out of hand when Taft plays Wasco in football??? I see the Tigers have scheduled the Wildcats for their Homecoming game on Oct. 5th - - you realize that's a TOTAL insult, right? Now THERE'S a basis for a RIOT! Plus, you can have it over in Wasco, and mess up THEIR town instead of Taft. That's perfect all the way round! I'm marking my calendar right now!

      Hmmm.... what DOES one wear to a riot these days???
      sigpic
      Paratus et Vigilans

      Prepared and On Guard
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take from you all you have." - Gerald R. Ford

      Comment

      • #18
        virulosity
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 1569

        Originally posted by ldivinag
        i read in a post in warrifles.com, that when the riots broke out, the government ordered the gun shops to either close down or stop selling ammo?


        true?
        Hence stockpiling

        Comment

        • #19
          ldivinag
          In Memoriam
          • Oct 2005
          • 4858

          Originally posted by DELTA


          Any longer version of those 5 days in 1992 will be recounted upon further demand, time permitting.
          yes please...

          i was/am in the san fran bay area and we just saw the TV and anything gun related, was just shown for brief period or was just ignored...
          leo d.

          Comment

          • #20
            bridgeport
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 782

            During and immediately after the King riots, Gun sales soared off the charts as the previously unarmed raced to buy guns. As I recall the waiting period was actually reduced to 10 days because of this, I forget how long it was at the time but it was over 10 days.

            Comment

            • #21
              SemiAutoSam
              Banned
              • Apr 2006
              • 9130

              I'm not sure if this is what triggered the 10 day wait but before the 10 day wait it was either 14 or 15 days and also before the 10 day wait there was no wait on long guns.

              Originally posted by bridgeport
              During and immediately after the King riots, Gun sales soared off the charts as the previously unarmed raced to buy guns. As I recall the waiting period was actually reduced to 10 days because of this, I forget how long it was at the time but it was over 10 days.

              Comment

              • #22
                brassburnz
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • 3553

                After Rodney King, my wife never complained about the amount of ammo or the number of firearms I owned. When she saw television footage of businesses less than a mile from our house being looted and burned, she became a real believer in the 2nd Amendment.

                Randy
                NRA Life Member
                NRA Life Member
                CRPA Life Member

                Comment

                • #23
                  metalhead357
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 5546

                  Originally posted by SemiAutoSam
                  I'm not sure if this is what triggered the 10 day wait but before the 10 day wait it was either 14 or 15 days and also before the 10 day wait there was no wait on long guns.

                  Yep...as far as I recall; o it was shortly therefter; pretty sure it was the 15 day.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                  I am not a number! I am a free man

                  1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                  2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                  3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    BBR
                    Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 196

                    I thought it was 18 days. May be wrong, but something makes me think it was 18.

                    BBR

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      bridgeport
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 782

                      As far as I recall, the issue was that liberal types were shocked that in order to purchase a firearm to protect themselves, a wait time of (I thought it was 14 days) would ensue before they could take possesion. Obviously if you lived in the most affected affluent areas say Hancock park and the Beverly wilshire areas that actually saw damage, fires and looting, This would have come as quite a shock to the unknowing types. And that's the way it was
                      (and of course still is) albeit now for 10 silly days.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        berg
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1963

                        Originally posted by ibanezfoo
                        I heard the same thing... I had a friend in the National Guard that was there. He told me some interesting stuff that went down...................

                        -Bryan
                        If you don't mind, I think a bunch of people here would love to hear some of those tales.

                        Like others I just watched it happen on TV. I never really got a sense of how bad things really were and how desperate people got.
                        __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
                        The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Pvt. Cowboy
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 2688

                          Originally posted by ldivinag
                          i read in a post in warrifles.com, that when the riots broke out, the government ordered the gun shops to either close down or stop selling ammo?

                          true?
                          I made a post on my experience during the LA Riots if you wanna dig it up. It was Mayor Tom Bradley who made the order to stop selling guns and ammo on the second day of the riots, but that was only in LA city proper. I think that the mayors of Long Beach and some other areas followed along too. In Orange County, the gun stores were doing brisk business. Martin Retting guns in Culver City was on the edge of the riot zone and sold out of it's C&Rs and most common ammo really fast. People flipped out when they went to the store and found out that they couldn't walk out with a gun.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Pvt. Cowboy
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 2688

                            Originally posted by big jon
                            Can`t rember what shop was plundered but I know at least one was, B&B or Bronells?
                            It was the Korean liquor stores that were ready to shoot it out
                            It was the Big 5 in Torrance, I think. Definitely not B&B Sales in North Hollywood. Those guys would thrash rioters with what they had on hand. The old store in Westminster was a damn concrete fortress surrounded by a high reinforced cinder block wall. It would have been like the Alamo if it was attacked, only with the defenders winning.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              metalhead357
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 5546

                              Originally posted by berg
                              If you don't mind, I think a bunch of people here would love to hear some of those tales.

                              .........I never really got a sense of how bad things really were and how desperate people got.
                              Its a Lot like now.....only worse
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
                              I am not a number! I am a free man

                              1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
                              2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
                              3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Pvt. Cowboy
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2006
                                • 2688

                                Here's the account I wrote of the '92 LA Riots:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1