Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Top Shot 2 has 4 CA natives!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • harbinger007
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Jan 2009
    • 565

    There was some question earlier about George's role in the USAF and that there's no such thing as a sniper there. Please don't mistake my comments to indicate I'm in any way a fan of sir blowhard, but I noticed on his personal Facebook page that he said he was a sniper and CPE team leader. I was looking at his page as I recalled some recently friendly comments exchanged between Maggie and George (sorry, tvfreakarms, you might not be her type, haha).

    From Wikipedia I found the following:
    Close Precision Engagement (CPE) and Advanced Designated Marksman (ADM) personnel, also known as counter-snipers, are trained on the use and employment of the M-24, M-107 and/or M-4 equipped with an Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG). Each sniper team consists of two people, the spotter and the shooter, which fulfill interchangeable roles within the team. The spotter’s responsibility is to assist the shooter to calculate target distance, wind direction, relative humidity and temperature then provide the shooter with corrections, or adjustments to the rifle optics, and record the results in the shooters Data of Previous Engagement (DOPE) book. The CPE course was formerly conducted exclusively at Camp Robinson in Little Rock, Arkansas which is the birth place of the legendary Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock. The course is now conducted at several Air Force Regional Training Centers (RTC) throughout the United States. The 21 day CPE course instructs students on the operation of the M-24 and/or M-107 to include the fieldcraft required to expertly employ the weapon systems. The 14 day ADM course instructs students on the operation of the M-24 and M-4 equipped with an ACOG. The ADM course is a condensed or "watered down" version of the CPE course. The amount of fieldcraft training ADM students receive is significantly lower than CPE students which facilitates expedited qualification on the weapon systems under less stressful conditions.

    Comment

    • DougJ
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 1812

      The Air Force does have snipers, although I have never seen them employed the way we think of a Army/Marine sniper.

      I have only seen them on the FOB's in a perimeter defense role. I don't know what else they might do, but personally, I've never seen one more than a 10 minute walk form the Pizza Hut...
      01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001

      Comment

      • DougJ
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 1812

        I should add:

        Guys like Ashley, working in the Special Operations Groups as FAC's are studs, as are the Air Force Para-Rescue dudes.
        01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001

        Comment

        • Outta Control
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 2383

          Originally posted by DougJ
          I should add:

          Guys like Ashley, working in the Special Operations Groups as FAC's are studs, as are the Air Force Para-Rescue dudes.
          +1

          When I was in Basic they showed a film/propaganda about the PJs and I tried out for it. I was close but didn't make it. There was a saying that it was easy to take a life (Seal, Delta Force, etc) but it is much harder to rescue and preserve a life (Para-Jumpers).
          Last edited by Outta Control; 04-08-2011, 9:35 AM.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
          George Orwell

          Comment

          • scootle
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2010
            • 2702

            Combat Controllers and PJs aren't "hardcore" or sexy because Hollywood doesn't notice that they exist. They are pretty specific and highly trained operators that just don't get much exposure to the masses, and thus are not viewed by most as "hardcore" as SEALs and Delta operators. It's too bad.

            When I read that Ashley was an AF Combat Controller and Jaime was a Navy Rescue Swimmer, I realized that there was more to these two guys than the other "hardcore" marine types on the show were edited to let on. These guys have skillsets that are pretty hardcore in and of their own right... too bad the producers do not emphasize this fact as much as they try to let George drop F-bombs on (and otherwise appear to disrespect) his cohorts.

            Anyone watching "reality" TV needs to definitely suspend disbelief a bit and realize they are being led around by their nose by the whims of the editors in the cutting room. I mean seriously, the host alone is irritating as hell... and he's from Survivor... real legit...
            SCC CCW *326 Days, $1051.29*
            Application: 2/27/2023 ($72.33)
            Original Interview: 12/21@1030|Actual: 4/13@0900
            'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
            Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
            Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
            LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
            LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
            Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
            Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030

            Comment

            • SAR_Squid79
              Member
              • May 2010
              • 102

              Originally posted by SI2011
              I'm not a military guy, so maybe someone who is can help me. In his biography, it says that Jamie "attended BUD/S training twice early in his career." BUD/S is the training SEALs undergo, right? What does it mean that he attended twice, and yet he's not referred to as a SEAL?
              I am not a SEAL. Not even close.

              In 2001 I went to BUD/S Training - got injured, and dropped from training. I was able to reapply, and I went back to BUD/S in 2003, and Dropped on Request (voluntarily dropped from training).


              FYI: Good catch on that cut above Daryl's eye. That happened after the Kyle/Ashley Elimination when he bumped into a piece of wood that had an old bent nail sticking out if it.
              There was not actually a fight. No blows were thrown, though that wasn't far off. When George says he broke up a fight; more accurately he prevented a fight. Remember that part of my bio that says that I often have no filter between my brain and my mouth? ...Yeah.


              From listening to all the post-elimination interviews with Caleb Giddings on Blog Talk Radio, it seems like this issue of people not knowing what I do in the Navy was a HUGE DEAL. I never realized that it was an issue, as George was the only one who ever asked me to elaborate on my career. I wan't intentionally hiding anything or keeping anything a secret, I just didn't know anybody gave a ****. I guess this was viewed as "shady" by the other military members in the house (although I can CONSTANTLY be seen throughout the season wearing Rescue Swimmer T-shirts in the house). If anybody had asked, I would have gladly explained myself. I'm very proud of my career, and I do understand how it could be confusing because there's not 1 word or 1 sentence that can accurately summarize what I do in the Navy. For example: if I said "I'm a Diver" - people would know what that is. If I said "I'm Military Police" - people would know what that is. But I guess saying that "I'm an Operations Specialist, Rescue Swimmer, Water Survival Instructor, and I work with Explosive Ordnance Disposal" - that's not easily understood if you're not in the Navy, and it doesn't explain how or why I'm a good shooter...

              If you're interested - here is a fairly detailed description of my entire Navy career:
              Last edited by SAR_Squid79; 04-09-2011, 12:19 PM.
              ~Jamie
              Top Shot Season-2
              U.S. Navy Rescue Swimmer
              "So Others May Live"

              Comment

              • pacifico23
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010
                • 2708

                Jamie, How did you not flip out when you found out it was going to be a shooting contest based o popularity in the house and not skill? I wouldve been so mad.

                Comment

                • SAR_Squid79
                  Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 102

                  There was nothing I could do. I was pissed and frustrated about it, but it would only alienate me further to "flip out". There was nobody that I felt like I could ally with to work the voting in my favor. Once it became clear that how well I shot was completely irrelavent, I accepted the fact that I would go to every single elimination for as long has they still had us do Nominations & Eliminations.

                  I sacked-up, and carried on smartly. I was not going to deflate, and resign to crying "woe is me" in the corner. I stood up straight and tall and continued to move forward.
                  ~Jamie
                  Top Shot Season-2
                  U.S. Navy Rescue Swimmer
                  "So Others May Live"

                  Comment

                  • harbinger007
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 565

                    Jamie, never saw you lose your cool on the shot but glad you didn't get to the point of throwing fists. Also glad you continued moving ahead the best you could given the situation.


                    Hey, folks that would like to meet up with Jay can go to the OC Indoor Range on 4/30 at 10am as there is a "meet and greet" scheduled. I'd go if I was closer.

                    Comment

                    • mosinnagantm9130
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2009
                      • 8783

                      George=Major Douche.

                      I'm rooting for Jamie now.
                      Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
                      My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

                      Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
                      Originally posted by ChopperX
                      I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
                      Originally posted by Jeff L
                      Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

                      Comment

                      • Turbinator
                        Administrator
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 11960

                        Originally posted by SAR_Squid79
                        There was nothing I could do. I was pissed and frustrated about it, but it would only alienate me further to "flip out". There was nobody that I felt like I could ally with to work the voting in my favor. Once it became clear that how well I shot was completely irrelavent, I accepted the fact that I would go to every single elimination for as long has they still had us do Nominations & Eliminations.

                        I sacked-up, and carried on smartly. I was not going to deflate, and resign to crying "woe is me" in the corner. I stood up straight and tall and continued to move forward.
                        Jamie, it was totally bogus that you got thrown into this week's elimination challenge. I like Jay too, but after I heard George say that he wanted to see you gone - I was glad you came back to haunt him. I don't know what he has against you, but he looks like a complete tool.

                        Jay - sorry to see you exit the competition, seems like you got voted in because of your non-mil status, and most likely because the other guys truly felt threatened by your being there. I consider it a compliment that they wanted you gone... else you'd likely take home the prize!

                        Originally posted by ty423
                        I'm now watching the show and hoping George gets eliminated. I don't care who wins. Once George gets eliminated that will be the finale of this season for me.
                        Yup. What he said.

                        Turby
                        Last edited by Turbinator; 04-10-2011, 1:54 AM.

                        Comment

                        • Bakerloo
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 1725

                          Calling George a "tool" is an insult to the common every day hammer...
                          ...while the buffoon in the White House prances around celebrating butt sex.

                          Comment

                          • Excelsior
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 4215

                            Originally posted by SAR_Squid79
                            There was nothing I could do. I was pissed and frustrated about it, but it would only alienate me further to "flip out". There was nobody that I felt like I could ally with to work the voting in my favor. Once it became clear that how well I shot was completely irrelavent, I accepted the fact that I would go to every single elimination for as long has they still had us do Nominations & Eliminations.

                            I sacked-up, and carried on smartly. I was not going to deflate, and resign to crying "woe is me" in the corner. I stood up straight and tall and continued to move forward.
                            You should have given George a beating and broken both of his thumbs. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm still curious -- is George that much of a douche bag or is it an act to spice-up the show? Either way you certainly represented yourself and the Navy far better then that blowhard represents the AF...
                            [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

                            The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

                            Comment

                            • Excelsior
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 4215

                              Originally posted by Bakerloo
                              Calling George a "tool" is an insult to the common every day hammer...
                              Amen.

                              George is like one of those old time, big, pink, douche bags...
                              [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

                              The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

                              Comment

                              • JaMail
                                Senior Member
                                • Apr 2009
                                • 1897

                                which is why i think they will stack it so george is one of the last two standings, i figure since i wanted jay to win, he got nicked, now im rooting for jamie, which means hes likley going to be out soon, and i look at ashly as a poor 3rd.
                                Jason M- My 5 year old is a NRA life member, are you?

                                WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1