Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

locking them up

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    johnthomas
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2009
    • 7001

    9mm under pillow, loaded not racked, Two shotguns, loaded not racked, one in my corner near me, one in her corner near her.
    I hope we never have to use them, which is better than wishing we had them when we needed them.
    I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

    Comment

    • #17
      Turo
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2009
      • 5066

      When I'm home, safe gets unlocked and the Glock 27 loaded with HPs goes with me. Shotgun's loaded in the safe.

      An unloaded gun isn't ready, neither is one without one in the chamber.
      "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
      -Thomas Jefferson

      Comment

      • #18
        WhatsTCP
        Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 384

        rem 870 with 6 rounds of buckshot/slugs within reach of the bed with safety on.


        mind you its not chambered in hopes that the pump action sound will scare anyone away
        Originally posted by chuckdc
        Sounds like you can use your friend to activate your bullet button.. since he is definitely a tool.
        Originally posted by Vanilla gorilla
        It is ok you don't need friends you have calguns

        Comment

        • #19
          rero360
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 3926

          1911 under the pillow, round chambered, full mag, safety on
          CX4 Storm with 120 lumen surefire under the bed with chamber empty, mag loaded safety off

          everything else is generally in the safe locked up, although I do accasionally will leave one of my rifles out if I was dry firing just before bed.

          Comment

          • #20
            brianm767
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 2394

            All of my firearms are locked up in my safe on the first floor , our bedroom is on the second floor, I have kids and grand kids over so I've decided I'm not going to rely on them for self defense, I just cant leave a firearm out.

            I've also seen numerous reports where the statistics show you or a loved one is more likely to be a victim of a unlocked firearm than you are likely to use in in self defense, I guess they mean kids finding them or maybe even coming home to a burglar who has already found your weapon? many here will probably argue that point? I'm not saying it's a reason for any of you to not have a self defense weapon available to you, only that's what the statistics show, and with kids around, my guns all stay in the safe.

            But I do want to get one of those small lock boxes that I can mount to something in my bed room so I can have a defense weapon close to me but it's still locked up.

            Comment

            • #21
              paul0660
              In Memoriam
              • Jul 2007
              • 15669

              many here will probably argue that point?
              You pose a scenario that is different from the OP's. Leaving guns out willy nilly causes problems, and except for Sequoia, no one is advocating that.
              *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

              Comment

              • #22
                RedFord150
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2009
                • 5665

                Nightstand safe contains loaded revolver and speedloaders. Unlocked when I am home. Locked when I am gone. Electronic lock, no key required.
                The big safe is always locked. Key and combo required.
                God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Vacaville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4360

                  All but one are locked up. I have a hidden unloaded revolver with a speed loader close by.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Divernhunter
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2010
                    • 8753

                    loaded Rev in bedroom. Also have locked box with another loaded one with speedloaders. All others in gun safes. One safe unlocked when I am home which is most of the time. Reputation in town keeps all but the most retarted from trying to break in.
                    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      stix213
                      AKA: Joe Censored
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 19002

                      Originally posted by Tre(y)13
                      stix: you used the correct wordage..the saiga has a 10-round mag locked in, but not chambered. there arent any laws regarding this topic are there? such as leaving a gun unlocked (no kids)..?

                      Leaving a gun loaded and unlocked shouldn't be an issue if you are home with no one else around, especially kids. Its not the smartest thing to do if you aren't there. The only law I am aware of is if you have reason to believe a child could access one of your guns, then you can get in trouble if something bad happens. If you have no reason to believe a child would enter your home, I don't believe you are at much risk legally even though its still not something you want to happen.

                      I usually keep my Saiga 7.62x39 with a loaded 10 round mag with an empty chamber in the gun safe, but being a medium power rifle its a poor choice for home protection in my suburban neighborhood. I have a Saiga 12 also that would work well, except keeping the mags loaded tends to warp the ammunition, making it jam when you need in the most. I could probably test different buckshot brands to see which ones wont do that, but haven't wanted to spend the time yet.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mzimmers
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2006
                        • 1526

                        I'm still not ready to keep a gun (in fireable configuratio) in the house. Besides my air gun (for squirrel and crow control) the only gun I keep inside is my 1100, which is too big to fit in my safe. It's broken down and there's no ammunition inside.

                        I'm getting very close to feeling OK with keeping a loaded (or quickly loadable) gun inside, and when I do, it will be a handgun for 100% sure. Had yesterday's range session with my P345 gone better, it would be inside now. Towards the end of the shooting, though, I experienced a few failures to feed. I'll play with my crimp die a bit more and try again. I may also go with my 686.
                        M. Zimmers
                        Born-again Californian (for better or worse)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Reductio
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 1923

                          Locked up in a safe.

                          At night, my shotgun is out and ready: full tube, saddle, and buttcuff.... empty chamber, hammer down, safety off.
                          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                          Ah, the old "form over function" argument. I guess some people would rather be seen with a hot blonde who won't put out than with a "Neil 8" who will make you .

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            OffGrid
                            Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 278

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              rero360
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 3926

                              And that really is the key with kids, educate them and there are generally no problems. My grandfather kept his shotguns in a gun rack in plain view in the utility room next to the washer and dryer, no locks, ammo in the desk drawer right below them. Everyone knew they were there, heck, everyone on the block knew it, doors were always unlocked up until my grandmother passed. Everything was alway out in the open and readily accessible. Nothing ever happened, period, why? because everyone knew not to play with them.

                              It sounds like you are doing just fine OffGrid, big thumbs up to you for being a responsible parent, pretty rare these days.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Bigtwin
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 2639

                                The poster above said it best!

                                Though as to my configuration choices....it is like the tootsie roll pop....the world may never know!
                                NRA MEMBER

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1