What kind of laws and/or rules are there concerning the legality of a scientist or support staff having guns in McMurdo Station, Antarctica? I'm not a scientist and I don't plan on ever going there, just curious. I understand that the U.S. Marshals provide law enforcement for the base, but what about others having guns?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Gun Laws in McMurdo Station
Collapse
X
-
Dunno. I don't believe the U.S. recognizes any sovereignty there. I'm not sure if McMurdo is one the section of the continent that no country claims; as for the other areas, I suppose it would be whatever the national laws are there. -
All of Antartica is a GFZ, to my understanding, by international convention. I need to pull some research to be sure but I believe that to be the case.
-- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James MadisonComment
-
There are very few firearms in Antarctica.
This is the Palmer Station firearms policy. McMurdo Station is likely the same.* Article 1 – area to be used for peaceful purposes only; military activity, such as weapons testing, is prohibited, but military personnel and equipment may be used for scientific research or any other peaceful purpose;
* Article 2 – freedom of scientific investigation and cooperation shall continue;
* Article 3 – free exchange of information and personnel in cooperation with the United Nations and other international agencies;
* Article 4 – the treaty does not recognize, dispute, nor establish territorial sovereignty claims; no new claims shall be asserted while the treaty is in force;
* Article 5 – prohibits nuclear explosions or disposal of radioactive wastes;
* Article 6 – includes under the treaty all land and ice shelves south of 60 degrees 00 minutes south;
* Article 7 – treaty-state observers have free access, including aerial observation, to any area and may inspect all stations, installations, and equipment; advance notice of all activities and of the introduction of military personnel must be given;
* Article 8 – allows for jurisdiction over observers and scientists by their own states;
* Article 9 – frequent consultative meetings take place among member nations;
* Article 10 – treaty states will discourage activities by any country in Antarctica that are contrary to the treaty;
* Article 11 – disputes to be settled peacefully by the parties concerned or, ultimately, by the International Court of Justice;
* Articles 12, 13, 14 – deal with upholding, interpreting, and amending the treaty among involved nations.
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison
The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)Comment
-
I can't believe that you cannot be armed there, what about rouge penquin attacks?Originally posted by bwiesePlease also don't confuse small-L libertarians with the Big-L Libertarian Party. The former is a stance; the latter is generally useless (unelectable).Comment
-
Comment
-
The Only legitimate use I can think of for a gun there
is for mushers (dog handlers) who may have to destroy an injiured dog.Comment
-
I spent a season there as a research assistant for APIS
Truely no need for a firearm there, the penguins don't attack and the seals just lay there...
Your biggest enemy can be boredom, gun ain't gonna help."Push the envelope - Watch it bend" - LateralusComment
-
Originally posted by bwiesePlease also don't confuse small-L libertarians with the Big-L Libertarian Party. The former is a stance; the latter is generally useless (unelectable).Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,448
Posts: 25,147,889
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 20734 users online. 146 members and 20588 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment