Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Becareful when someone knocks on your door

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    joepamjohn
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2709

    Originally posted by Barney Gumble
    No (there's only so much I can control), but I do wear my seatbelt in the car and I don't use an umbrella on the golf course when there's lightning.

    Why don't you answer my question? At this point I suspect you're just talking out of your rear end and you really know next to nothing about self defense.
    You may be right. Maybe I don't have a clue about self defense, do you? Are you an expert or do you just play one here in these forums? My "rear end" tells me that I don't need to run to the panic room whenever I hear about a crime or that a "stranger" is knocking at my door. If you do then we will just have to have a difference of opinion.

    I can't imagine living anywhere that I felt the need to carry a gun in my own house, from room to room. If that makes me a potential victim then I can live with that. Being so "prepared" that the above is necessary is far more dangerous than any remotely possible invasion in my book, and living with that type of fear would be far worse than the fear from any type of home invasion (atleast to me)
    Last edited by joepamjohn; 02-26-2010, 4:28 PM.
    "You can't handle the truth"

    Comment

    • #92
      Air
      Senior Member
      • May 2005
      • 1640

      Originally posted by trickyvic
      Terrible story. I don't open the door UNLESS I'm armed.
      Agreed. And usually, I don't open the door. I'm glad I have cameras.

      Comment

      • #93
        Barney Gumble
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1047

        Originally posted by joepamjohn
        You may be right. Maybe I don't have a clue about self defense and based on your multiple posts, you no doubt are an expert. My "rear end" tells me that I don't need to run to the panic room whenever I hear about a crime or that a "stranger" is at my door. If you do then we will just have to have a difference of opinion.
        You're not afraid of anyone who might come to your door but obviously you're afraid of having a discussion about this, or possibly learning something.

        Comment

        • #94
          joepamjohn
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2709

          Originally posted by Barney Gumble
          You're not afraid of anyone who might come to your door but obviously you're afraid of having a discussion about this, or possibly learning something.
          Barney, Obviously you see the world differently that I do. I am really ok with that since you are not the only one. Afraid of discussion? Count how many "discussion" posts I have put just into this thread. I have also replied to every one of your attempts to bring me down to your level.

          Now, if you have something to "teach me" then please proceed. Please offer facts and not more FUD.

          If you like I would be happy to take this to PM so as not to burden the others here with my lesson plan.
          Last edited by joepamjohn; 02-26-2010, 4:52 PM.
          "You can't handle the truth"

          Comment

          • #95
            MudCamper
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 4605

            Originally posted by MasterYong
            When I'm home, I'm ALWAYS armed. If I had the option, I'd be armed outside the home at all times as well. I'm not paranoid, I'm not some nut, I'm just a regular guy that understands that the world is dangerous...
            Absolutely agree.

            Originally posted by MasterYong
            Better yet, I was a Boy Scout myself. If you knew even the first think about Boy Scouts, you'd remember "be prepared". That's what they taught me, and that's why I always have a knife on me in the day-to-day activities. When I go on a hike, I have a backpack with water, a coat, emergency blanket, matches/lighter, headlamp, and strapped to the side is a 15" Kabar Next-Gen fighter (knife).

            I'd rather have X and not need it, than need X and not have it. Insert whatever word you want there.
            Yup. That Boy Scout Motto stuck with me too.

            Originally posted by joepamjohn
            I can't imagine living anywhere that I felt the need to carry a gun in my own house, from room to room. If that makes me a potential victim then I can live with that.
            Some people just like being prepared and self-reliant. Others don't. IMO your choice is the irresponsible one. But it's a free country. Do what you want.

            Comment

            • #96
              joepamjohn
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 2709

              Originally posted by MudCamper

              To joepamjohn: IMO your choice is the irresponsible one.


              Originally posted by Scratch705
              and if i am home with another person, i always go into the room with a window that faces the front door, and lock, load and aim (behind a curtain of course), while the other person opens the door.
              LOL, And I am the "irresponsible one". Every day I learn more about my "fellow gun owners"
              Last edited by joepamjohn; 02-26-2010, 5:32 PM.
              "You can't handle the truth"

              Comment

              • #97
                Barney Gumble
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 1047

                Originally posted by joepamjohn
                Barney, Obviously you see the world differently that I do. I am really ok with that since you are not the only one. Afraid of discussion? Count how many "discussion" posts I have put just into this thread. I have also replied to every one of your attempts to bring me down to your level.
                To be fair, you have posted but you certainly haven't answered the question I posed. Most of your posts are painting people as paranoid freaks, or distorting their comments to support that point of view. For example I asked you what the first response should be to someone kicking down a door if a gun is not the answer. Your response was, "You probably have a better chance of a plane crashing into your house, are you prepared for that too?"

                Originally posted by joepamjohn
                Now, if you have something to "teach me" then please proceed. Please offer facts and not more FUD.
                Do I have anything to teach you? I don't know. I do have questions and maybe we can all learn something by exploring them together. If you're interested in having that discussion, then here's a question: You say you're not afraid of whoever might be on the other side of the door. Let's say I am, for whatever reason. How do you recommend I defend myself and my family in the (admittedly unlikely) event that person decides to kick down my door, or bust through my glass patio door while I'm watching the boob tube after dinner? I am seeking your honest recommendation here, not taking a shot at your own way of doing things.

                Comment

                • #98
                  Theseus
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 2679

                  I have decided I will no longer use weapons that I apparently possess to compensate for a small part of my anatomy. I will instead use that apparently small part of my anatomy and beat the person on the head.

                  That should settle the issue completely to show that 1. I didn't use weapons to compensate and 2. It isn't the same thing as using a weapon.
                  Nothing to see here. . . Move along.

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    Scratch705
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2009
                    • 12537

                    Originally posted by joepamjohn
                    LOL, And I am the "irresponsible one". Every day I learn more about my "fellow gun owners"
                    way to redirect to someone else to dodge your own discussion and your lack of will to talk to barney, especially when i have explained myself.....



                    i learn new things about my "fellow gun owners" too.... that there are those that are just run to avoid discussion.
                    Last edited by Scratch705; 02-26-2010, 5:55 PM.
                    Originally posted by leelaw
                    Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                    Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                    Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                    Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                    Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                    Comment

                    • joepamjohn
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 2709

                      Originally posted by Barney Gumble
                      To be fair, you have posted but you certainly haven't answered the question I posed. Most of your posts are painting people as paranoid freaks, or distorting their comments to support that point of view. For example I asked you what the first response should be to someone kicking down a door if a gun is not the answer. Your response was, "You probably have a better chance of a plane crashing into your house, are you prepared for that too?"


                      Do I have anything to teach you? I don't know. I do have questions and maybe we can all learn something by exploring them together. If you're interested in having that discussion, then here's a question: You say you're not afraid of whoever might be on the other side of the door. Let's say I am, for whatever reason. How do you recommend I defend myself and my family in the (admittedly unlikely) event that person decides to kick down my door, or bust through my glass patio door while I'm watching the boob tube after dinner? I am seeking your honest recommendation here, not taking a shot at your own way of doing things.
                      I am not saying you can't use a gun to defend your family if someone were to kick your door in. If that makes you feel safe then you can certainly do as you please. I am saying that the ovewhelming amount of gun owners feel the same way you do and it is quite alarming to me. So no, I do not have an alternative answer for protecting you and your family if you truely are concerned about this happening. I was just out looking at my front door that has an Anderson door with a huge lockset and dead bolt. This door would be close to impossible to kick in. If I were a BG, I would just break a window.

                      I frankly can't relate to this. As I type this I am sitting in my easy chair with my back to my backyard window and yard, my wife is cooking some dinner (lucky me) my 16 year old is in the driveway working on his/my truck, and my 11 year old is in the (open garage) talking to my neighbor and her two kids.

                      NOWHERE is a gun to be found but in my safe. #1) Just because of the kids I mentioned, since I would prefer they not have access to a firearm without my knowledge.#2) because I live in an area where I am comfortable with my surroundings and don't feel that this is necessary even though we have had two home invasion murders including Pamela Vitale (famous case) who lived just down the road from me. #3) I still believe in basic humanity that there are more good people than the ones you see or read about in the news. I do not feel the need to live like a prisoner in my own home.

                      Now let me ask you a couple of questions.

                      Question #1
                      Should I not allow my kids to go outfront (where the front door is) and do these things I describe unsupervised? I live on a court so I have no concerns about vehicle traffic.

                      Question #2
                      Should I be sitting nearbly with my Corona (forgot to mention that) and a holstered weapon in the highly unlikely event that some rouge magazine salesman should happen by?

                      Question #3

                      Should I lock my family down and not let them venture out in public without armed security?

                      Question #4
                      Has our society broken down to the point that a simple family function can't be done without the presence of a firearm?

                      Question #5

                      When you sit "watching the boob tube" do you have your gun trained on the front door at all times? Ever fall asleep with the gun in your hand in your chair? Do you take it to the bathroom? When you are eating, do you have it on the dinner table or holstered on your body? I ask only to see what others do since I am possibly awaiting a disaster by not doing the same.

                      I ask these questions since the majority of gun owners in this forum feel differently than me and for that I am utterly amazed.Maybe my neighborhood (Mayberry RFD) is different than every body elses, but I have to believe that it is not the case.

                      Are there circumstances where your city or neighborhood may make you feel less safe? Possibly, and there may be the need to approach your daily activities differently.

                      When I read or see these terrible crimes happen I am saddened. I do not immediatley pull out my guns thinking that I am next. I have been labled as irresponsible for thinking this way. I just don't see it that way.
                      Last edited by joepamjohn; 02-26-2010, 6:44 PM.
                      "You can't handle the truth"

                      Comment

                      • The Director
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 2769

                        Joe,

                        I think the consensus is that a firearm certainly won't do you any good locked in a safe. Many people walk around with a gun in their pocket or a holster while at home. I do not.

                        I do however, have a couple weapons stashed and ready to go in strategic locations, because try as I might, it takes me a few seconds to open my safe.

                        I also live in a safe area, but you never know, you just never know. I have a gun handy for the same reason when i go sailing first thing I do is check all through hulls, count the life jackets, and check the fire extinguishers. I'm not planning on having a fire or sinking. I'm prepared.


                        You, through complacency or contentment are choosing not to be prepared, and that's entirely your prerogative.

                        Comment

                        • joepamjohn
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 2709

                          Originally posted by The Director
                          Joe,

                          I think the consensus is that a firearm certainly won't do you any good locked in a safe.

                          I do however, have a couple weapons stashed and ready to go in strategic locations, because try as I might, it takes me a few seconds to open my safe.

                          I'm prepared.

                          You, through complacency or contentment are choosing not to be prepared, and that's entirely your prerogative.


                          I can certainly see what the consensus is.You know you do bring up a few interesting points. "A gun will do you no good locked in a safe". That may be true, or not. I would argue that a larger number of people have been hurt or killed by far too many gun owners not having their firearms properly secured "stashed" in a safe because they were more concerned about the person outside than they were the people inside that they were attempting to protect, and a child or someone not intended to find the firearm gets shot or shoots another person with it.

                          I can say with all certainty that I hear about those tragic cases far more often than any home invasions. Now am I really being complacent and not prepared?

                          You may argue that someday I may wish I had a gun at the ready if I were to need it. I am coming up on 51 years old and have never, ever remotely had the slightest occaision where I felt I would have felt better off if I had a gun on me. Franlky, my paranoia would come in where being responsible for it would offset any comfort it would afford me by having it at the ready. I will take my chances and atleast my family is safe in another way. I will bet the statistics are also on my side. I feel I am being prepared too, just maybe not to your standards.
                          Last edited by joepamjohn; 02-26-2010, 9:54 PM.
                          "You can't handle the truth"

                          Comment

                          • Anothercoilgun
                            Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 176

                            Always after the fact, authorities to the rescue. Will add this link to CCW application. Good cause hits 10 pages and counting.

                            Comment

                            • Anothercoilgun
                              Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 176

                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              And people call me 'paranoid' for having multiple CCTV cameras around my home.
                              I would call you "over to install some for me".

                              Comment

                              • Rob454
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 11254

                                I have a intercom WITH video.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1