Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

PPT Etiquette

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    perpetual otter
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2007
    • 5093

    Turners has gotten pissed at me and my buyers for exchanging cash inside their store. I always just give 'em a "sorry man won't happen again" and I do it anyway.
    I provide opinions...
    At a rapid rate.

    Comment

    • #17
      ZirconJohn
      Rattlesnake Hunter
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Sep 2007
      • 10378

      Originally posted by ArkinDomino
      Turners has gotten pissed at me and my buyers for exchanging cash inside their store. I always just give 'em a "sorry man won't happen again" and I do it anyway.
      I just don't see any logical point in NOT allowing PPT buyer/seller money transaction in a firearms place of business. A bank will allow you privacy in vault deposits of personal items.
      Why disallow a monetary & legal transaction of funds for a firearm in a firearms store where you will be completing a lawful and required PPT.
      The alternative is back alley, out of the trunk, next to the dumpster... just not an ideal place for upstanding citizen to perform a legal transaction. Firearms dealers need to be more cognizant of buyer/seller respect in legal private party sale, and invite PPT money transactions in the store.
      Last edited by ZirconJohn; 02-25-2010, 1:45 AM.
      .
      "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
      "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
      .
      ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

      Comment

      • #18
        JDay
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2008
        • 19393

        Originally posted by pingpong
        They won't know until sometime during the 10 days, right? In those cases, I think a stolen gun would fall into the hands of the police. If the seller isn't legally able to own the gun, no harm done, since he/she is getting rid of it by selling it to you anyways. If the buyer (you) are not legally able to own the gun, then you're SOL I think.

        Probably should ask something like that in the 2A forms.
        The buyer would still own the firearm but not be able to take possession of it and would need to find a new buyer.
        Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

        The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

        Comment

        • #19
          damndave
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Oct 2008
          • 10858

          Originally posted by 4DSJW
          So what are the standard conventions of a PPT?
          -Is it always, or mostly, a cash sale? Cash talks. Checks can bounce.

          -Do you usually pay the seller before or after the DROS is done? I usually pay after the paperwork is done

          -If you want to field strip the firearm for a look-see where do you do it? Take it to the side of the counter (to get out of other peoples way)

          -What if the firearm is not as described? Walk away? Haggle? I'm sure no FFL wants the two of you in his shop arguing with each other. If it is not as described, let the seller know. Renegotiate, if all fails walk away.

          -What if there is a problem during the DROS, is the deal off and it goes home with the seller? That one is up for discussion. Don't know the circumstances etc. Might be that he forgot his ID or something simple. In that case reschedule.


          my answers above in bold

          Comment

          • #20
            j1133s
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 1343

            Originally posted by 4DSJW
            I was talking to a friend about an upcoming PPT that I will be doing, thank you Calguns for the great Private Firearms Sales Forum, and he asked me some questions that I couldn't answer. But I do know just where to go for some good information... all of you!

            So what are the standard conventions of a PPT?
            -Is it always, or mostly, a cash sale?
            -Do you usually pay the seller before or after the DROS is done?
            -If you want to field strip the firearm for a look-see where do you do it?
            -What if the firearm is not as described? Walk away? Haggle? I'm sure no FFL wants the two of you in his shop arguing with each other.
            -What if there is a problem during the DROS, is the deal off and it goes home with the seller?

            I am in no way concerned about the seller or the item in the PPT I will be doing, but I couldn't answer any of the questions when I was asked about what would happen if there were various problems.

            Thanks for your help!
            Always cash.
            Always pay before DROS.
            I never field strip; but I don't mind if buyer wants to (so far none wanted to).
            I'd walk away immediately if condition isn't what is expected.
            Problem w/ DROS = buyer and shop deal with it.

            Comment

            • #21
              Bird of Fire
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 829

              Why in the world would a gun shop not want a transfer of funds to occur in their store? This makes less than no sense.
              To women and gunpowder!
              Live by one, die by the other.
              But I love the smell of both....

              Comment

              • #22
                OldLincoln
                Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 133

                I recently completed my first PPT and was very fortunate that the buyer is very nice and experienced at transactions (so only sell to good guys). We exchanged money inside the store before the paperwork and the buyer didn't say anything or act cautious. It was just me not knowing better and he was gracious enough to go along. He did get a wonderful firearm and it has a good home. Anyway, now that I know better how to do it, if I ever do another I'll do it right.

                In discussion with the gun store guy, he mentioned that he won't do an FFL on a firearm he sells. I wonder if that is part of the issue about them not wanting you to exchange cash in the store.

                Comment

                • #23
                  caldude
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 1253

                  I've done maybe a half dozen PPTs, always with cash, always paid in the store as the paperwork was being done. I've only stripped down a pistol, as the others were all standard (non-AR) rifles. I have yet to walk away from a PPT, since the gun was as good as, or better, than described.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    JamesY
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 2652

                    Also, if a smart-a$# comes along with the buyer, as a seller, you can walk away yourself. One time, I met a guy to sell him my rifle. Little did I know, he'd bring his dad who just said stupid s*$t the whole time:

                    "You're asking too much"
                    "Is the price negotiable?"
                    "Why would you need this rifle?"
                    "Pay him after DROS"

                    etc.

                    I was about to walk away but the buyer understood. He ended up paying me BEFORE DROS (who's to say that after DROS, the buyer can just walk away and not pay? Will the FFL stop the DROS process?). I always get paid before DROS, especially if I don't know you. Also, it's cash or nothing. I once had a bounced check for $400. I was hesitant at first, but I trusted the buyer too much and accepted the check. Last time that's going to happen.

                    Anyway, YMMV. About 95% of my transactions went smooth so far. it's just that 5% that bugs the hell out of me.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      SNEAKS
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 1449

                      I have always either paid or have been paid in cash everytime in the shop itself. It was always done after the paperwork with no problems from the shop.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Henry47
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 922

                        i've done 3 PPTs. all of them were cash. I always gave cash AFTER dros started so they can't just walk away with their firearm and my cash. I have always trusted calgun members but the last firearm I PPT'd, the seller lied about round count and about maintenance too. Also forgot some parts from the firearm and didn't tell me (buyer's responsibility i guess)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          shovel88ci
                          Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 315

                          I just remembered something from way back in the day. I cannot remember the specifics, but it addresses the "why an ffl wouldnt want you to transfer money in their store", sort of.

                          Because of the states wonderful knowledge of guns and such, this is (or was) illegal:

                          Guy A is browsing a gun store.

                          Guy B walks into the store and says, "Id like to sell this hi point".

                          Gun store says, "Ill give you $500".

                          Guy B says "no thanks".

                          Guy A says "Ill give you $1000"

                          Guy B says "OK Ill take it".

                          For some reason this type of transaction is illegal, or was. If the authorities walked in while a ppt money transaction was happening they might think it is this type of situation.

                          Just a thought.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            HokeySon
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 778

                            Originally posted by JDay
                            The buyer would still own the firearm but not be able to take possession of it and would need to find a new buyer.
                            Turners specifically told me (as buyer) that if I did not or could not pick up the gun within the 30 day limit, they would call the seller and tell him to pick up HIS gun. It was just part of his lecture, nobody asked the question. SO apparently, that is what Turner's does.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Gowking
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 2664

                              It is a requirement that you pick the firearm up after 10 and no later than 30 days. After 30 days you would need to DROS the firearm again which is why they would have the seller pick it up. Also the maximum fee a dealer can charge is $10. I have heard of some dealers charging a storage fee after the 10 day waiting period.

                              Have any of you that have done PPT had to buy a locking device from the dealer used? Just curious if that's another way they profit rom PPT?

                              -G

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Rob454
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 11254

                                Originally posted by 4DSJW
                                So what are the standard conventions of a PPT?
                                -Is it always, or mostly, a cash sale?
                                -Do you usually pay the seller before or after the DROS is done?
                                -If you want to field strip the firearm for a look-see where do you do it?
                                -What if the firearm is not as described? Walk away? Haggle? I'm sure no FFL wants the two of you in his shop arguing with each other.
                                -What if there is a problem during the DROS, is the deal off and it goes home with the seller?
                                Cash only
                                I usually pay right as the paperwork is done.
                                You can strip it in the store most gun stores dont mind that much
                                if its not as described then either let the guy know but do your renegotiating outside. For the most part you prety much have the price nailed down. ive never renegotiated but I have walked away from items not as described.
                                if there is a problem during the DROS its still the buyers gun. i dont know why people have the misconception that the ownership reverts back to the original owner. it does not belong to the FFL either. he is just a middleman who is holding the gun for the required 10 day wait. he is not a purchaser or seller. he is simply the service provider. the gun belongs to the new owner but if he cannot pick it up then he needs to deal withthe FFL on a sale or whatever while he clears his DROS rejection.
                                if the OLD owner wants the gun back he has to pay for it and redo DROS. I may be wrong but Im 99% sure the info is right


                                Originally posted by HokeySon
                                Turners specifically told me (as buyer) that if I did not or could not pick up the gun within the 30 day limit, they would call the seller and tell him to pick up HIS gun. It was just part of his lecture, nobody asked the question. SO apparently, that is what Turner's does.
                                That would be considered theft cause the old owner is no longer the actual owner of the gun.
                                Sort of you sold me a car but I have no driver license. And now you want your car back. its no longer your car. not a exact example but hopefully you get my drift
                                Last edited by Rob454; 02-27-2010, 11:46 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1