Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CLP CLEANER!! WHERE HAVE I BEEN!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Greg-Dawg
    Banned
    • Oct 2006
    • 7793

    I like MPro7 better than CLP.

    Comment

    • #17
      bsim
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Mar 2008
      • 892

      I thought the smell of #9 was one of the enjoyable parts of cleaning guns?
      NRA Life Member
      SAF Life Member
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        Turbinator
        Administrator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 11962

        Originally posted by AdamM
        CLP is very popular. Dont use it in the barrel though.
        I will respectfully disagree. Too much oil in the barrel is bad. A microscopically light coating is ok. However, I use it however to get out the heavy crud at the beginning of my cleaning session, because I have a lot of CLP on hand, and it helps at the beginning. I switch to a solvent, then go with some foaming bore cleaner. I have never had a problem with CLP to clean my barrels after 15 years of using it there.

        Turby

        Comment

        • #19
          Unit74
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2359

          I like MPro7 better than CLP.

          Ditto....Much better

          Comment

          • #20
            caoboy
            Senior Member
            • May 2009
            • 2400

            Originally posted by bsim
            I thought the smell of #9 was one of the enjoyable parts of cleaning guns?
            Only in poorly ventilated rooms.

            Comment

            • #21
              steelrain82
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 3683

              ok total newb question here. i have a can of breakfree that i used to lube my rifle. but i hear all these different cleaners. what the heck should i use and have as a bare minimum. hell if i could id just go on base and see if i can get some of there clp since thats all ive ever known.

              Comment

              • #22
                Dr. Peter Venkman
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • 4899

                Originally posted by AdamM
                Bore foam would be a better choice, Breakfree CLP has teflon in it - Thats why its best not to use it in the barrel
                And where is your evidence that "teflon" will ruin a barrel?
                sigpic
                "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
                Originally posted by berto
                You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

                Comment

                • #23
                  AdamM
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 850

                  Originally posted by Dr. Peter Venkman
                  And where is your evidence that "teflon" will ruin a barrel?
                  Never once did I say it would ruin it. I said its best not to use it there. I have absolutely no evidence that it will ruin a barrel, hence the reason I didnt say that. Ive heard on this board that it shouldnt be used there from several different members, and that is why I said that its best not to use it there and recommended the use of other products that were designed for the task of cleaning the inside of a barrel.

                  If I was wrong in saying that it shouldnt be used in the barrel, then I apologize and by all means, drench your bore in CLP
                  Last edited by AdamM; 10-27-2009, 9:33 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    AdamM
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 850

                    Originally posted by Turbinator
                    I will respectfully disagree. Too much oil in the barrel is bad. A microscopically light coating is ok. However, I use it however to get out the heavy crud at the beginning of my cleaning session, because I have a lot of CLP on hand, and it helps at the beginning. I switch to a solvent, then go with some foaming bore cleaner. I have never had a problem with CLP to clean my barrels after 15 years of using it there.

                    Turby
                    Thats a different story, I was talking about using strictly CLP in the bore and nothing else to get it out. What I have heard is that the heat caused by shooting + the teflon from the CLP itsnt exactly recommended. This would only be the case if you left a decent amount of the CLP in the bore and didnt bother running a dry patch through afterwards

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Dr. Peter Venkman
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 4899

                      Originally posted by AdamM
                      Never once did I say it would ruin it. I said its best not to use it there. I have absolutely no evidence that it will ruin a barrel, hence the reason I didnt say that. Ive heard on this board that it shouldnt be used there from several different members, and that is why I said that its best not to use it there and recommended the use of other products that were designed for the task of cleaning the inside of a barrel.

                      If I was wrong in saying that it shouldnt be used in the barrel, then I apologize and by all means, drench your bore in CLP
                      Don't repeat an old wives tale if you don't have the evidence to support it. I have yet to see members here or on any other gun forum provide anecdotal evidence from a metallurgist (or a similar specialist) and explain why CLP would be a problem in the bore. Even what you suggested to Turby does not make much sense; wouldn't a bullet simply act as a squeegee when it is going down the barrel? It reminds me of the "FLUORIDE = RAT POISON" anti-toothpaste deal.
                      sigpic
                      "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
                      Originally posted by berto
                      You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        usmcchet9296
                        CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 1834

                        I think its safe to say CLP is something you should have but only use when there is nothing else around. Its kind of like 3in1 oil it works well but isn't the best. I carry a small bottle in my gun bag and in the pistol grip of my AR15. Used it in the military and does what is supposed to do kinda.
                        John P. Hermesmeyer
                        U.S.M.C. 1992 to 1996 0311 5th Marines
                        Current location: Camp Living room 1st Recline Div.Now in Texas
                        sigpic
                        Visit http://www.cawheelburners.com
                        In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1