Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Transporting firearms in Cali

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TonyNorCal
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2004
    • 8051

    Transporting firearms in Cali

    Here is my understanding...correct me if I'm mistaken and if you know the answers to any questions I have please answer...

    If you have a weapon that is 'capable of being concealed' (i.e. handgun) then it is required to be in a locked container. A locked container can be a trunk. However, when carrying the handgun out of the car to the range or store it needs to also be in a locked container. So really you need a portable locked container.

    Long guns don't need to be in locked containers.

    Obviously nothing can be loaded.

    Ok so...

    1.) Can the weapons only be in your car when travelling to and from a range, gunsmith, or store? In other words, can you have a trunk full of guns and stop to eat, then catch a movie, etc?

    2.) Does the ammo need to also be in a locked container? How 'unloaded' does it need to be? Better to not have loaded mags? How separate from the gun does the ammo need to be?

    3.) Are long guns allowed in the crew compartment? I wouldn't have one in plain view as that is begging a felony stop. But legally is that allowed?

    4.) If a long gun is hidden under a jacket in the crew compartment then that is NOT a concealed weapon right? As a concealed weapon can only be a handgun?

    5.) Long guns do not need to be in locked containers? If the long gun is in the crew compartment does the ammo need to be in the trunk or locked away?

    Basically I am into common sense. I am not going to have long guns visible (even if that's legal) and going to probably have it all in the trunk.


    The main thing that I want to know about is whether it's ok to have the guns in the car if you're not driving to the range (i.e. out eating) and about the ammo/gun thing.

    Thanks
  • #2
    TimG
    Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 355

    When ever I am going shooting, everything is unloaded and in locked cases. Magazines are unloaded and in a seperate unlocked range box. Ammo is in either ammo cans or in the range box. I always assumed if everything is unloaded & locked up and in plain view (I drive a pick up truck) its OK. Come to think of it, most of the ammo in the ammo cans are on stripper clips (5.56 & 7.62x39) I dont know if ammo on strippers is ok or not.

    How's that for not answering your question ??

    Comment

    • #3
      jlmurphy
      Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 212

      I believe that AWs are treated like handguns. Also a mag may be considered part of the handgun and must be unloaded. Ammo does not have to be locked up, and I think you are right that long guns don't have to be cased.

      Comment

      • #4

        Originally posted by Tony:
        However, when carrying the handgun out of the car to the range or store it needs to also be in a locked container. So really you need a portable locked container.
        Don't know whether this is the law. But it is certainly common sense. Technically, if you park your car on your own property (for example in your garage), and then on the property of the range (for example an outdoor range after going through the guarded gate into the range, or the indoor parking garage of an indoor range), you might not need a locked container, since both the trip into or out of the car at either end are on private property, with permission of the owner, in an area not accessible to the public. Still sounds like a bad idea.

        One reason: What if you have a car problem, and need to get the car towed? Or you have an accident? Or a health problem (sudden stomach upset, throwing up next to the car), and have to temporarily abandon the car? So what I do is I put all handguns in locked containers, and then chain those to the frame of the car in the trunk.

        Long guns don't need to be in locked containers.
        True, as they are not concealable. Still, putting locks on them (through-the-barrel cable locks for breakopens, through-the-mag cable locks for bolt actions, and so on) is a good idea.

        Obviously nothing can be loaded.
        Duh. Obviously.

        1.) Can the weapons only be in your car when travelling to and from a range, gunsmith, or store? In other words, can you have a trunk full of guns and stop to eat, then catch a movie, etc?
        This is a gray zone. You can't just keep them in the car for weeks, and cruise around with them. On the other hand, you can make reasonable stops. At this point, it is up to DAs, judges and juries to decide. I would bet that stopping for gas is pretty safe. I would bet that stopping for 1/2 hour at a diner, if it is a long drive to the range, is pretty safe. Stopping for a movie is dicy. Loading them into the car in the morning, then dropping of the kids at school (car parked in school parking lot while you talk to the teacher), then parking all day long at work, then going to a dentist appointment, and then finally going to the range, stopping on the way home for a few brewskies with your shooting buddies: probably way over the line.

        Does the ammo need to also be in a locked container? How 'unloaded' does it need to be? Better to not have loaded mags? How separate from the gun does the ammo need to be?
        Locked is not required. Whether loaded mags are a no-no is a great discussion question. There is one judge's decision that a loaded mag already constituted a loaded gun (but that was a criminal gang case, and it is sometimes claimed that this only creates case law for gangs). Also, ammo must not be in close physical proximity to the gun itself, in particular not touching the gun. So no shotgun shells on a sidesaddle. I also put the ammo and other accessories in a separate duffel bag, which goes in the front of the car, while the guns are in the trunk - distance between them as big as possible.

        Are long guns allowed in the crew compartment? I wouldn't have one in plain view as that is begging a felony stop. But legally is that allowed?
        Legally, yes. Good idea? No. One false move, and you are in for brandishing.

        If a long gun is hidden under a jacket in the crew compartment then that is NOT a concealed weapon right? As a concealed weapon can only be a handgun?
        Technically correct. Walking around with a long gun under a jacket is just about the most stupid thing I could imagine. I have a small shotgun (snake charmer, overall length is 26") that could easily be concealed under a leather jacket. Dumb idea. Since soft gun gases are pretty cheap, I transport all long guns in them.

        Long guns do not need to be in locked containers?
        No. Locking them is still a good idea though. I put locks on the guns.

        If the long gun is in the crew compartment does the ammo need to be in the trunk or locked away?
        As long as the gun is not "loaded" (see above for some complications of what that term might mean), you are technically OK. I still put the long guns in the trunk too.

        Basically I am into common sense. I am not going to have long guns visible (even if that's legal) and going to probably have it all in the trunk.
        That sounds like an excellent idea. If nothing goes wrong, it makes no difference. In the terrible case that something goes wrong (for example, your car gets carjacked, the car thieves try to make off with your guns, and kill a deputy in the shootout, while you are hiding behind a tree), you really want to prove (both to yourself, to authorities, and to society at large) that you did everything be as safe as reasonably possible.

        The main thing that I want to know about is whether it's ok to have the guns in the car if you're not driving to the range (i.e. out eating)
        That's a really good question, and I'm also still searching for guidance on that. For example, my drive home from work is over 1/2 hour. It is much more convenient for me to leave the guns locked in the car while I'm at work during the day. Since I work in a gated facility (no public access), I think this should be OK, but I'm not sure. Opinions? Whether my employers policies allow this or not is another question, which is not one of criminal law.

        Comment

        • #5
          esskay
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2304

          There is a bunch of info and opinions regarding transporting firearms in:
          THIS THREAD
          WTS: Ewbank AKM & NDS-4 AK receivers, Custom Chief AJ Ruger Mini-14

          WTS: Oakley SI Shoes

          WTS KAC rail panels

          WTS: MGI Hydra Modular AR Lower

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1