Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Pricing advice for off-roster used guns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kthwht00
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2022
    • 8

    Pricing advice for off-roster used guns

    Newbie here. I have 2 off-roster but legally CA registered guns that I'm trying to sell. I'm told they should command a premium but I don't know what that should be. Not trying to gouge anybody but I also could use the cash so don't want to leave any on the table. Only selling through a licensed dealer. Both lightly used; only been to the range a couple times. What's a fair price?

    - Ruger EC9s. Like the LC9s but fixed sites. Off-roster but got from a guy who already had it CA registered.
    MSRP $370

    - Ruger LC9 conversion. I got it legally registered by buying an LC380 (which is on-roster) and adding the conversion kit. Also has the trigger mod.
    MSRP $479
    Conversion MSRP $319
    Trigger $100
    That's $900 but the street price would be lower if it were still available.
  • #2
    9Cal_OC
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2019
    • 6704

    With the Ruger Max9 out, I feel the ones above won’t command that much of a premium.

    Maybe 100 over MSRP for the EC9. The LC9, probably better to part out as it may not sell at $900. You can do a package deal or part out and sell separately.
    Freedom isn't free...

    sigpic

    iTrader

    Comment

    • #3
      BigPimping
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2010
      • 21487

      I think with the Max9 now out, the window of opportunity for you to gouge prospective buyers has closed considerably. Try posting it in the marketplace and see what happens.
      sigpic

      PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

      When pimping begins, friendship ends.

      Don't let your history be a mystery

      Comment

      • #4
        Oldmandan
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 2721

        I would say $450 for the EC9, and $500 for the LC380

        I think if you sell it as a LC9, you will never sell the 380 slide by itself. Nor do I think anyone would pay $900 for both slides in a package.
        "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" - Richard Henry Lee

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          BC9696
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 2034

          Off roster pricing is whatever someone is willing to pay. Advertise high and add /OBO.
          Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

          The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
          The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

          Comment

          • #6
            flyer898
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 2018

            They are your property, and there is no emergency making them necessary for anyone's survival. I think you should insist in the highest price someone is willing to pay. Market value is a fiction and actual value can vary based on how much money someone has in their pocket on a given day.
            Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. So said somebody but not Mark Twain
            "One argues to a judge, one does not argue with a judge." Me
            "Never argue unless you are getting paid." CDAA
            "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

            Comment

            • #7
              naz
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2020
              • 3108

              Originally posted by kthwht00
              I'm told they should command a premium but I don't know what that should be. Not trying to gouge anybody but I also could use the cash so don't want to leave any on the table. .
              Off roster usually do comment a premium but these days the market is soft based on what is happening in the economy.

              FYI $900 is approaching the price of p365 and g43x so I would be shocked if anyone paid anywhere close to that amount for lc9

              My $0.02 would be to price ec9 and lc380 at the higher of msrp + tax or your acquisition cost, and the sell the lc9 slide separately from the complete lc380

              Comment

              • #8
                Snoopy47
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 3903

                I think it is safe to say any current off roster RUGER that is remotely desirable is probably going to have an ON ROSTER version coming onto it in the near future. They seem to be the most aggressive to take on the CA market as their product line doesn't require a lot of design changes.

                What I'm saying is folks probably aren't willing to pay up for a Ruger in this market.
                Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

                Comment

                • #9
                  morrcarr67
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 15053

                  Originally posted by Snoopy47
                  I think it is safe to say any current off roster RUGER that is remotely desirable is probably going to have an ON ROSTER version coming onto it in the near future. They seem to be the most aggressive to take on the CA market as their product line doesn't require a lot of design changes.

                  What I'm saying is folks probably aren't willing to pay up for a Ruger in this market.
                  ^^^^^

                  Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                  Originally posted by Erion929

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    NapalmCheese
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 5958

                    they're used guns, so... 80% of retail value in like-new condition.
                    Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      DB>
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2017
                      • 816

                      With the microstamp requirement off the roster requirements (still have to have mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator, those are on appeal IIRC, and the latest anti-gun silliness passed recently put microstamping back on for 2018, ignoring it having been ruled unconstitutional)....

                      Ruger has added several guns to the roster (3x .22's and the Max9), there's no reason all the other manufacturers are going to ignore the huge CA market for current featured 9mm handguns (that the rest of America can buy), if they can meet the current requirements... So the value in older models is likely significantly reduced. Imagine if us peons could walk in and buy a P365CA or HellCAt (again presuming they can meet the current roster requirements).

                      I've picked up multiple "off roster" 9's for reasonable prices recently. Small premium if any for that "off roster" status...

                      Realistically, most people will buy a new Max9 (10 rounds) for under $400 street before they pick up a used, older single stack 9 that is basically the same gun (EC9S is quite similar to the Max9). As for the "dual caliber" LC9/380... I had the same setup a few years back, I think I ended up getting around $600 for it with extra mags and such...

                      I eventually picked up a LC9S for the better trigger, since I liked the LC9 but hated the trigger and couldn't shoot it well. The LC9S came with some nice extras and while I'm sure it's "lost" some value due to the above noted shifts in CA laws, I shoot it well, so for me it's a keeper.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        edgerly779
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 19871

                        Guns are flying off the shelves. Charge msrp plus couple hundred bucks and use money to stock up on ammo and supplies. I was in Turners 2 weeks ago in and out for dros in 20 minutes. last week I picked up firearm. Line was 20 long in afternoon. Most purchasing. self defense firearms or handguns. Guy in front of me bought SW model 29. He asked how much ammo is slerk said 25-100 dollars. Buyer said whats the difference. Clueless as to ammo for firearms. He was not a WASP is all I can say. Anyone late to the party should pay.
                        RECENT RUGER EC9 SOLD FOR 450 MONTH AGO.
                        Last edited by edgerly779; 10-17-2023, 6:22 AM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1