I'm looking for a new powder scale, does anyone have any suggestions. I'm thinking about some of the digital scales what do you guys think?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Scales
Collapse
X
-
Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.
Originally posted by Erion929Comment
-
For rifle, I use the Chargemaster to weight bulk charge, and check/adjust it on a Highland .001mg lab balance (scale.) Both units run in the mid $300's, I think (CM may have been under 3; don't remember now.)
The CM is accurate to within a tenth of a grain about 75% of the charges. It will let you know if it is over or under by more than a tenth.
The Highland balance is a strain gauge unit, so has a bit of drift around zero. Not a huge deal; just re-tare on an empty pan every now and then (tip: memorize what weight of the empty pan is, and look for that as a negative reading between measurements to check for drift.)
I have a deposit in on the V4 auto-trickler. Unfortunately, my anticipated ship date is sometime next February.
I've used the $19 Hornady branded scale that comes as part of the Ammo Plant kit (and still do occasionally - especially if loading away from my bench); it works, and seems to be reasonably accurate. I'd guess overall it rivals the CM without the auto-throw and auto-trickle (i.e. accuracy-wise, yes, but not convenience-wise.)
Most of what you'll spend will be dictated by the precision you want in your charges. If you want a tenth of a grain as a target, it's a lot cheaper than wanting, say 2/100ths accuracy.Comment
-
No expert here, but I have a cheapo Franklin digital that I don't trust (drift, accuracy), but bought a Dillon digital and am happy with it (faster, less drift).
However, I also have about three balance beam scales and a set of test weights.
My fav of the bunch is a used RCBS 10/10 balance beam I found on the "dead reloader's bench" at my LGS.Comment
-
You looking for a scale to measure random charges to QC your progressive press, or something that dispenses powder to a scale, and the scale.
For me, it's the former, and I've used Dillon digital scales for years, and they work great. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but I've never had one fail, and if it does, Dillon has great customer service.
Comment
-
Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,497
Posts: 25,148,388
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,908
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 14418 users online. 135 members and 14283 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment