Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sending Gun Back for Warranty Work

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    MaryFields
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2018
    • 20

    [emoji6]

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

    Comment

    • #17
      Donny1
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 2344

      Only issue I had with Ruger is they couldn't fix it. But they were more than helpful as far as a replacement, paying all fees, etc.

      Failure to fire with a .22lr is usually the ammo and will happen, period. Even the best rimfire ammo is not 100% reliable. If there is a hard strike mark on the case it's not the gun.

      Comment

      • #18
        SharedShots
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2021
        • 2277

        Originally posted by GeorgeMG
        I have to send my Ruger lcrx 22 lr back to Ruger for some warranty work. It has a failure to fire every 50 or so rounds, sometimes more, sometimes less. I contacted Ruger, and they sent me instructions and a shipping label (FedEx). I've never had to send a gun back for repairs, and I'm kind of nervous about it. I need to go to a fedex office, and send it out, but I have to inform them it's a firearm. To me that's just screaming "Here, take my gun and steal it." Am I being too paranoid?
        Yes.

        When FedEx picked the guns up from Ruger to send to distributors and dealers do you think the truck drivers didn't know what they were hauling? When they send the gun back to your dealer do you think no one knows what got sent out from Ruger?

        Before you send it back have you tried various brands and types of 22 ammo? If you are looking for a 22 that fires any type and brand of 22 ammo with 100% reliability that is a rabbit hole. While it should be reasonably reliable and accurate it will work better with some types rather than others, it is best you find out first before finding out Ruger tested it and found it works just fine.
        Last edited by SharedShots; 06-25-2021, 8:55 AM.
        Let Go of the Status Quo!

        Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

        Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

        Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.

        Comment

        • #19
          tony270
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 3345

          Originally posted by Donny1
          Only issue I had with Ruger is they couldn't fix it. But they were more than helpful as far as a replacement, paying all fees, etc.

          Failure to fire with a .22lr is usually the ammo and will happen, period. Even the best rimfire ammo is not 100% reliable. If there is a hard strike mark on the case it's not the gun.
          Not the ammunition, it's the firearm, generally a few things cause that. Mostly I find that the face between hammer and breach have flattened and separated. That situation will cause the firing safety mechanism to not fully engage. I remove some material from the hammer using small fine file, burnishing stones, and cocus cloth, the picture depicts where the wear originates.

          See next post.
          Last edited by tony270; 06-26-2021, 8:15 AM.

          Comment

          • #20
            Aeneas
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2014
            • 1127

            Does anyone know how the replacement process works if the gun is not serviceable? Also, what if it's an off roster pistol?

            Comment

            • #21
              FightYouRightNow
              Member
              • Jun 2016
              • 431

              "Christ Almighty, it's like I'm sitting here playing cards with my brother's kids or something" - Johnny Tyler

              Everyone remain calm, we're only dealing with first world problems, women, alcohol, and firearms.

              Comment

              • #22
                smoothy8500
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 3846

                Yeah, just sent in a S&W model 60 via FedEx this week. The hub took it in no problem at all. S&W said to use FedEx "authorized ship center" but when I called them to confirm shipping a firearm (its a small shop) they said no way.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Donny1
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2344

                  Originally posted by tony270
                  Not the ammunition, it's the firearm, generally a few things cause that. Mostly I find that the face between hammer and breach have flattened and separated. That situation will cause the firing safety mechanism to not fully engage. I remove some material from the hammer using small fine file, burnishing stones, and cocus cloth, the picture depicts where the wear originates.
                  Interesting. Are you saying this is common to this pistol? I stand behind what I said about rimfire ammo.

                  If in fact if it is the Ruger design I would say they are having some issues. I've had at least a dozen 22lr pistols and rifles over the decades and they were all dry fired many, many times (yeah I know) and I've never had a firing pin issue or failure of the gun itself. My SP101 9mm was a turd they could not fix to the point of three tries but they paid for everything all three times, shipping, FFL fee's, so I can't condemn their customer service at all. Ruger gunsmith was personally on the phone with me many times and all in all they are a stand up company. These are not issues I've ever seen with Ruger revolvers in the past. But they will take care of you!

                  In the end they gave me a PC9 in exchange for the SP101 and all the trouble, and extra mags, free shipping and FFL fee's again to resolve it.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    tony270
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 3345

                    Originally posted by Donny1
                    Interesting. Are you saying this is common to this pistol? I stand behind what I said about rimfire ammo.

                    If in fact if it is the Ruger design I would say they are having some issues. I've had at least a dozen 22lr pistols and rifles over the decades and they were all dry fired many, many times (yeah I know) and I've never had a firing pin issue or failure of the gun itself. My SP101 9mm was a turd they could not fix to the point of three tries but they paid for everything all three times, shipping, FFL fee's, so I can't condemn their customer service at all. Ruger gunsmith was personally on the phone with me many times and all in all they are a stand up company. These are not issues I've ever seen with Ruger revolvers in the past. But they will take care of you!

                    In the end they gave me a PC9 in exchange for the SP101 and all the trouble, and extra mags, free shipping and FFL fee's again to resolve it.
                    If you can't figure out what's going on from this, you don't possess the mechanical aptitude to comprehend.

                    The red and green markers represent the area that flattens, when that happens the blue marker (pointing to the hammer head) prevents the firearm from firing, signs starts start out by a light strike misfires, sometimes firing, sometimes not, until it won't fire at all.

                    Everybody says ammunition, could be something else, other times the issue is in the firing pin system.

                    Ruger Model SP101 Double Action Revolver Gun Parts & Accessories. Shop current, OEM, obsolete and the rare hard-to-find gun parts and accessories for pistols, rifles, shotguns, long guns, and revolvers from the early musket days to today’s modern firearms (both U.S. and foreign). Numrich Gun Parts Corp. is the Trusted source for all vintage and current parts.




                    It's not like a cowboy gun.
                    Last edited by tony270; 06-30-2021, 7:53 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      ACfixer
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 6080

                      So does it have to be DROS'd coming back?

                      Asking for a friend. Seriously.
                      Buy made in USA whenever possible.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SarcoBlaster
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 1775

                        Originally posted by ACfixer
                        So does it have to be DROS'd coming back?

                        Asking for a friend. Seriously.
                        Tell your friend that it does not have to be DROSed on its way back.
                        My buyer/seller feedback.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          CheapBloke
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2019
                          • 3121

                          Originally posted by SarcoBlaster
                          Tell your friend that it does not have to be DROSed on its way back.
                          So it gets sent to your home?

                          Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            tony270
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 3345

                            Yeah, just like sending back for safety recall modification, or correction.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ACfixer
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 6080

                              Originally posted by SarcoBlaster
                              Tell your friend that it does not have to be DROSed on its way back.
                              Thank you, it's a serious question, he lives in Apple Valley and wants to send a pistol to my Tennessee guy. We were just talking about this yesterday and I didn't have a solid answer.

                              Originally posted by S.O.A.R.
                              So it gets sent to your home?
                              Yeah that's what we were wondering. I don't think he even cares if we have to ship it to a local FFL, but the whole 10 day thing would be a real drag having to pass another background and wait ten days for a gun you already own.
                              Buy made in USA whenever possible.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                tony270
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2010
                                • 3345

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1