Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

hearing protection

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    paddyraid
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2017
    • 568

    Originally posted by bergmen
    When hunting with rifles (.308 Winchester, 30-30) I never realized the muzzle blast when taking game. It never even occurred to me until I walked up to the dead animal. I would expect the same in an HD situation.

    Dan

    but when you're hunting you're out in the open. can you imagine how intense the sound is inside a room??? even when at the gun range under the covered benches, it is LOUD. i'm sure part of that is due to the roof over the benches. it bounces the sound waves back down at you instead of letting them travel on is my thinking.

    Comment

    • #32
      Dan_Eastvale
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2013
      • 10763

      How are you going to hear where the perp is with ear muffs?

      Comment

      • #33
        paddyraid
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2017
        • 568

        Originally posted by sealocan
        While I hope you do, I'm not sure you're going to have the extra time to put on hearing protection in the middle of the night or most last-minute emergencies but if you do I'm going to suggest you go with some of the more expensive electronic filtering type. That way you can hear what the person that is trespassing is saying or the policeman's verbal commands. You can even get the hunter's type that amplify sound but electronically muffle gunfire.
        yup, those are exactly the kind i have. good stuff.

        my GF has a set of keys to my house and i will wake up when she comes through the front door downstairs with a set of keys. i'm thinking i will most definitely hear someone forcing their way through a window or door and then coming up the old wooden creaky stairs. at least i hope i do. if i have time, the muffs are going on in an instant. if not, then so be it.

        Comment

        • #34
          naz
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2020
          • 3108

          Originally posted by paddyraid
          absolutely, life over hearing. muffs by my bedside now.
          Yea, imho might as well put your ear pro and plates next to your rifle and grab what you have time for

          And if you don’t think you have time to grab all that you want, invest in beefing up your home

          Comment

          • #35
            rodralig
            CGN Contributor
            • Apr 2016
            • 4262

            Pistol, flashlight, muffs, and burner phone (easier to use than a "smart" phone) are by the bedside.

            If I reach under the bed, I have my soft armor with other stuff.


            _

            WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

            Comment

            • #36
              paddyraid
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2017
              • 568

              Originally posted by Epaphroditus
              Suppressor.

              Commiefornia.

              Comment

              • #37
                sonofeugene
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2013
                • 4681

                Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                How are you going to hear where the perp is with ear muffs?
                Good quality electronic muffs.
                Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

                A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

                Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

                Comment

                • #38
                  paddyraid
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2017
                  • 568

                  Originally posted by ScottsBad
                  We've had long discussions about this, and ,believe it or not, they get quite...uh...interesting.

                  I'm not going to fight in this discussion, put on your muffs if you have time. But sonofeugene is correct. When you hear someone in your house or breaking into your house, the last thing you will think about is putting on your hearing protection and adjusting it.
                  Your heart rate and blood pressure will go sky high, you might even start shaking.

                  From here down is what I learned in our last discussion on this subject:

                  First watch this video:





                  The argument against the consideration of loudness in a life or death self defense situation is suggested by John Lovell who has years of first hand experience in extremely adverse war fighting and LE conditions, indoors and outdoors.

                  First, here is a simple statement explaining the effect.



                  Note: This effect in NOT present during training; where hearing protection must be worn.

                  This is scientifically understood. See the References in this Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_exclusion

                  More




                  My Conclusion: Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) response that includes Auditory Exclusion does not preclude some possible damage to your ears. But the likely-hood of ever needing to shoot for HD is very very low, and the amount of damage would probably be relatively small, making the loudness of the weapon a small consideration.

                  i hear you. but if i have the chance to put on some muffs, and actually think about it in a tense situation, then i'm going to. how many times have we seen and heard videos and recordings of people on the phone with 911 that are already alerted to someone trying to break in, already grabbed their weapon and called 911, and are shouting commands to the intruder not to come in? A LOT! so i'm obviously planning for a situation where i'm alerted to someone coming in, as opposed to one in which i wake up and some chick is standing in front of me with a gun.
                  Last edited by paddyraid; 03-01-2021, 11:00 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    paddyraid
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2017
                    • 568

                    Originally posted by GeeBee49
                    I do not keep hearing protection near my HD gun. Your very first thought should be to grab your gun. You should not be concerned with putting on your glasses or picking up a flashlight or putting on hearing protection.
                    You will need your hearing to determine what and where the threat is. If you're worried about loud noises then keep a baseball bat next to your bed instead of a gun.

                    sorry, but weapon light is a must. no excuses not to have one.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      k1dude
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2009
                      • 15914

                      Most of us wake up when we hear a subtle bump in the night. When I hear something that wakes me up, I immediately grab my earmuffs and turn them on. It makes my hearing 8 times better than without them. Usually I can figure out what the noise is/was with the muffs on (like wind outside or an animal) and I take them off and go back to sleep.

                      If I can't identify the noise, then I'll grab my gun and investigate. No, I don't call the cops like I should. Because if I did that, I'd be calling them twice a month and I'd look like a paranoid idiot.

                      But......if my bedroom door comes crashing down or the bedroom window shatters, I'm immediately going for my gun and not my ear pro.
                      "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                      "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        GeeBee49
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 1981

                        Originally posted by paddyraid
                        sorry, but weapon light is a must. no excuses not to have one.
                        Sorry, but what you consider to be a must for you does not necessarily mean it's a must for everyone.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          paddyraid
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2017
                          • 568

                          Originally posted by sonofeugene
                          That's more or less what I'm saying....that's your plan and others may plan differently. Some people, for instance, can't see ***** without their glasses. Not everyone leaves a light on. Or the intruder turns it off. And hearing protection should be high end electronic so that it actually works and doesn't shut off completely when a shot is fired.

                          what about if the intruder has NODs, turns your cute living room night light off and is using an LRAD that cruise ships use to deter those dark skinned skinny pirates in the gulf of aden? at that point should you don muffs and turn on your weapon light? or F it, just shoot into darkness since your eardrums are being blown out by the LRAD and because family comes first and hearing and being able to see what you're shooting at comes last?
                          Last edited by paddyraid; 03-01-2021, 11:41 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            paddyraid
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2017
                            • 568

                            Originally posted by beanz2
                            I have sensitive ears, so...



                            .

                            that's beautiful. you obviously don't like in commiefornia.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              paddyraid
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2017
                              • 568

                              Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                              How are you going to hear where the perp is with ear muffs?
                              the electronic ones that allow you to hear everything but gunshots. plus, my place is small and he can only come one direction to get to me. no kids or wifey to worry about either. just a cat that sleeps with me.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                paddyraid
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2017
                                • 568

                                Originally posted by GeeBee49
                                Sorry, but what you consider to be a must for you does not necessarily mean it's a must for everyone.

                                i said that, meaning that shooting into the dark unknown is irresponsible. i don't think anyone can argue with that. but then again, you did.

                                but then again, say someone lived alone and no one else had keys to their house and there was never ever anyone else who would have permission to be in their house at any time, and there wasn't another neighbor within 5 miles (thus no collateral casualties from overpenetration through walls), then yes, at that point i can see shooting into the dark unknown. but how many of us live like that? not me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1