Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Let it go, or try to get it back???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    TurboChrisB
    Calguns Addict
    • Mar 2010
    • 5116

    Agreed, thanks for the update and glad to hear that it's coming home.

    Comment

    • #32
      August
      Banned
      • Nov 2012
      • 2218

      Good news!

      Comment

      • #33
        bp10
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 92

        Hopefully coming home....will see what comes of this "LEGR"....
        "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

        Comment

        • #34
          4Defense
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2009
          • 874

          Originally posted by SVT-40
          I'm guessing that there has been a mistake made somewhere either in the SN or the make and model.It's not uncommon.
          ^^^This . Most likely it was an error. Who ever did the check and called probably only saw the serial number and did not even bother to verify make and caliber.

          When the gun was purchased, I'm sure one of the things DOJ did was check if the gun was stolen.

          Comment

          • #35
            ivanimal
            Janitors assistant
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Sep 2002
            • 14365

            If it was me id get it back.
            "I would kill for a Nobel peace prize." Steven Wright"
            Board Member CGSSA Donate now!
            NRA lifetime member

            Comment

            • #36
              DEPUTYBILL
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 874

              If you do get it back, I would make sure this issue of it being listed as a stolen firearm is resolved. If not, you risk this problem popping up anytime this firearm is ran in the stolen firearms system.

              Comment

              • #37
                bp10
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 92

                Originally posted by DEPUTYBILL
                If you do get it back, I would make sure this issue of it being listed as a stolen firearm is resolved. If not, you risk this problem popping up anytime this firearm is ran in the stolen firearms system.
                Any tips for this? When the local SO contacted me they said the initial report of it being stolen "disappeared". Do you think a report stating all of this be sufficient?

                Thanks in advance!
                "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

                Comment

                • #38
                  SVT-40
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 12907

                  Originally posted by bp10
                  Any tips for this? When the local SO contacted me they said the initial report of it being stolen "disappeared". Do you think a report stating all of this be sufficient?

                  Thanks in advance!
                  It probably was a mistaken entry, which was resolved.

                  When you get it back just ask for a copy of the AFS info on the guns serial number. It should list "no hits" then the DROS information.
                  Poke'm with a stick!


                  Originally posted by fiddletown
                  What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    bp10
                    Junior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 92

                    19 month Update:

                    Sent LEGR with extortion fees to CA DOJ early/mid May. They quickly cashed my check near the end of May.

                    I've called, without answer, and emailed the CADOJ BOF multiple times without response. There has been no mail correspondence from them at all.

                    How long does this LEGR take to get an answer?
                    Is there any way to call the DOJ and get someone that knows whats going on to ask questions to?
                    Any help on how to move this process along would be great. I know there are current circumstances that are limiting factors, but WTF?
                    "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Spyder
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 17269

                      Pre-covid, it still could take up to 3 months. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in process right now. Them cashing the check is a good thing, as they didn't just return it.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        bp10
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 92

                        20 months later and she has returned home!
                        "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          spddrcr
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 1585

                          Originally posted by bp10
                          20 months later and she has returned home!
                          Congrats!!!!! It is always good to hear about a happy ending in these type of situations.
                          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                          blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

                          "wildhawker
                          People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            The War Wagon
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 10294

                            Originally posted by Jess B. Guy
                            ...or someone is being lazy.

                            "I'll take "LAZY" for a thousand, Alex!"



                            I'd visit the SO and speak to an officer or detective about this.

                            I'll take THIS for a thousand, too!
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              sigstroker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 19863

                              Originally posted by pacrat
                              First of, I believe you may be conflating "NCIC"... [National Crime Information Center].

                              With "NICS"....


                              There is no onus for ANY FFL to actually check the NICS database. Because they cannot do it.

                              The NICS BG check is part of the 4473 process. If the FFL doesn't get a hold from the Feds. They must deliver the gun.
                              Nope, they are supposed to check it before they can even offer it for sale, much less sell it. If I buy a gun there is no NICS check. NICS only checks the background of the BUYER. I have a ccw so the gun shop doesn't do a NICS check on me. There most definitely IS an onus of a pawn shop, gun shop, whomever to do a NCIC check, which has things like stolen guns listed on it.

                              Weird that a sheriff would keep saying it was his legal property, because if it was stolen, it most certainly was NOT. There is a weakness in the system as far as keeping up with the victim if a gun is stolen and reported. It's not very robust and counts on the diligence of individual officers in the PD to keep up with address changes and whatnot. I happened to report my change in addy but I can see where someone might forget, and then LE doesn't know how to contact you.

                              Since OP seems to be very conscientious maybe he can check a database where people report their guns stolen. There's a thread on this forum somewhere but I can't remember where. OP if it was a J frame or Charter Arms .22 or Colt Officers Model .45 or Smith L frame shoot me a pm. I think those are about the only guns that are ccw-able from my big theft that weren't recovered yet. If you got a Daewoo AR100 or Quality Parts AR-15, let me know and I'll buy you a pizza if they're mine.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                pacrat
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • May 2014
                                • 10285

                                [1]... Nope, they are supposed to check it before they can even offer it for sale, much less sell it.

                                [2]... If I buy a gun there is no NICS check. NICS only checks the background of the BUYER. I have a ccw so the gun shop doesn't do a NICS check on me.

                                [3]... There most definitely IS an onus of a pawn shop, gun shop, whomever to do a NCIC check, which has things like stolen guns listed on it.
                                [1]... And just how do you propose that an FFL goes about running this mandatory NCIC search? Which is a FEDERAL DATA BASE only accessible to LE Agencies.

                                [2]... Since you are not in Ca you maybe can buy FTF without all the nonsense. If you buy from an FFL and fill out an ATF-4473. Please show us the little square you check that asks about CCW? So the big bad ATF doesn't run an NICS. https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfiller-d...28b4d454e787a6

                                {here's a hint; there is no such magic square to check}

                                [3]... Refer to [1] regarding FFL running checks on Federal LE Data Bases.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1