Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bad to use Hoppes 9 inside with low ventilation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Milsurp1
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2016
    • 3091

    I use Hoppe’s for cologne.

    I actually only use it outside because the fumes linger. For most pistol cleaning jobs Simple Green and a good bore brush work well.

    Comment

    • #17
      SanDiego619
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2013
      • 14271

      Originally posted by VictorFranko
      Chicks dig the smell of Hoppe's No. 9!
      I put a dab behind each ear, a dab on my chest and another on my perineum before dates.
      Perineum

      I've been sunning my perineum https://www.health.com/mind-body/per...wellness-trend
      Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

      Comment

      • #18
        Jimi Jah
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2014
        • 19244

        Hoppes makes a great smelling salt. It will wake the dead or kill you trying.

        Comment

        • #19
          riderr
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2013
          • 6704

          Originally posted by SanDiego619
          I got some Hoppes 9 and used it to clean a rifle and it smelled good at first, but after inhaling the fumes from a bowl of solvent sitting next to me while cleaning it started to get pretty harsh and my lungs felt a little warm. Is it my imagination? Should I be using more ventilation?

          Edit: It sounded like I was intentionally sticking my face in the bowl and inhaling. I mean the bowl was sitting there while I was cleaning and the fumes were in the air.
          It's somewhat toxic. I only use it outside.

          Comment

          • #20
            Preston-CLB
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2018
            • 4313

            I don't use #9 indoors. The fumes are too strong. When the weather permits, I clean out of doors. When the weather is funky, I use the #9 foam. It has a slight odor, but not as objectionable as the liquid.

            Once I use up what I have, I'll start using Bore Tech products.
            -P
            ? "If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you are satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper."

            Comment

            • #21
              Pofoo
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 1689

              Most everything is toxic. Ever smell gas while you're filling up? Bleach when you wash? Smoke when you barbecue?
              The point being, we can handle a lot of pollution with no effect. I know it's hard to not go overboard with the media bombarding us daily.
              I use it and other products inside.

              Comment

              • #22
                SanDiego619
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2013
                • 14271

                Originally posted by Preston-CLB
                I don't use #9 indoors. The fumes are too strong. When the weather permits, I clean out of doors. When the weather is funky, I use the #9 foam. It has a slight odor, but not as objectionable as the liquid.

                Once I use up what I have, I'll start using Bore Tech products.
                -P
                MP7 and Bore Tech stuff looks good. I bought a big bottle of Hoppes, I might give it away and switch to Bore Tech. It will take me years to finish my Hoppes.
                Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

                Comment

                • #23
                  SanDiego619
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 14271

                  Originally posted by Pofoo
                  Most everything is toxic. Ever smell gas while you're filling up? Bleach when you wash? Smoke when you barbecue?
                  The point being, we can handle a lot of pollution with no effect. I know it's hard to not go overboard with the media bombarding us daily.
                  I use it and other products inside.
                  I know but this one actually irritates my lungs and makes them warm and itchy inside. I don't like that very much!
                  Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    OCEquestrian
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2017
                    • 6905

                    Originally posted by rudigan
                    Love that smell, I rub it all over my chest and throw a towel over my head when I'm congested, clears it right up
                    Nailed it!

                    Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM.
                    "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                    NRA life member
                    SAF life member
                    CRPA member

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Calif Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • 3323

                      I have 2 large bottles of Hoppes. I use it to remove powder fouling prior to using Wipe Out or Patch Out to remove the copper fouling in rifles. The Wipe Out seems to work better and faster that way. In handguns, I use Hoppes. If I have been shooting lead bullets in handguns and there is leading in the bore, I run a patch soaked with Kroil or other penetrating oil through the bore and let it sit for about 15 minutes or more. Then I use a bronze or nylon brush and the lead comes right out. Then I use Hoppes. Other products may work better now but I have so much Hoppes to use up!

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SanDiego619
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 14271

                        Originally posted by Calif Hunter
                        I have 2 large bottles of Hoppes. I use it to remove powder fouling prior to using Wipe Out or Patch Out to remove the copper fouling in rifles. The Wipe Out seems to work better and faster that way. In handguns, I use Hoppes. If I have been shooting lead bullets in handguns and there is leading in the bore, I run a patch soaked with Kroil or other penetrating oil through the bore and let it sit for about 15 minutes or more. Then I use a bronze or nylon brush and the lead comes right out. Then I use Hoppes. Other products may work better now but I have so much Hoppes to use up!
                        I think I can take my small bits and put them in a bowl of Hoppes to soak outside. That'll work. I don't want to clean the guns outside because someone might freak out and call the cops or something.
                        Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          JohnnyMtn
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 1476

                          Hoppes is the BEST. I even add some to my morning coffee. Mmmmm Hoppes.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Jesse 2
                            Member
                            • Dec 2017
                            • 208

                            Originally posted by SanDiego619
                            I think I can take my small bits and put them in a bowl of Hoppes to soak outside. That'll work. I don't want to clean the guns outside because someone might freak out and call the cops or something.

                            Good idea. It would be a horrible accident if you knock over the bottle and spill it on the floor. Put both soaked and used patches in sealed bags will reduce smell and exposure dramatically.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              wpage
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 6072

                              Been using it for years. I clean with my #9 solvent in the garage.

                              Huffing it may be hazardous to your health. But Hoppes 9 is the standard for gun cleaning.
                              God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
                              John 3:16

                              NRA,,, Lifer

                              United Air Epic Fail Video ...

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                SanDiego619
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 14271

                                Hoppes Enema, clean your borehole good.
                                Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1