Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Roll pin punch set recommendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    LCU1670
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 2865

    Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
    I just go to harbor freight and buy a set.

    If used properly they last quite a long time.

    JMHO
    still using mine today after many years and many weapons.
    sigpic Waterborne!

    Former: Knight of Front Sight &
    Gold Star Member

    Comment

    • #17
      Bigedski
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 976

      Remember a ROLL PIN PUNCH is not the same as a punch, the deference is that the roll pin punch has a bump on the tip*of the punch that fits in the center of the roll pin. A roll pin punch should never be used as a regular punch it will not only damage the punch it will damage the pin.
      You should have a set of both.

      Comment

      • #18
        Bigedski
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 976

        Harbor freight tools are GARBAGE.

        Comment

        • #19
          foothillman
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2017
          • 1184

          Originally posted by Bigedski
          Remember a ROLL PIN PUNCH is not the same as a punch, the deference is that the roll pin punch has a bump on the tip*of the punch that fits in the center of the roll pin. A roll pin punch should never be used as a regular punch it will not only damage the punch it will damage the pin.
          You should have a set of both.
          ^^^^^
          ITrader FeedBack https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-100-positive

          Comment

          • #20
            Mandingo27
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2017
            • 776

            I bought the real avid hammer and ar15 accu roll pin punch set. So far no complaints on the quality. So far been using it to swap out forwards assists, bolt catches, triggers guards etc. They are steel roll pin punches and only gripe is I wish it wouldve came with a couple of brass 1s but for $34+ tax I cant complain

            Comment

            • #21
              M76
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2014
              • 5953

              Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
              I just go to harbor freight and buy a set.

              If used properly they last quite a long time.

              JMHO
              +1

              “I don’t work on my guns too much” ...a HF kit makes sense
              sigpic
              Originally posted by dunndeal
              Stop digging.
              Originally posted by BrassCase
              I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
              iTrader

              https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858

              Comment

              • #22
                SonofWWIIDI
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2011
                • 21583

                Originally posted by ARDude
                I don't think Harbor Freight has roll pin punches.
                I currently use the standard punches from them without difficulty. I’m not really sure if they still sell the actual roll pin punches anymore as I have a vintage set (not from harbor freight) my pops left me. From back when tools were made to last!

                Originally posted by LCU1670
                still using mine today after many years and many weapons.


                Originally posted by M76
                +1

                “I don’t work on my guns too much” ...a HF kit makes sense
                I rest my case.

                Sorry, not sorry.
                🎺

                Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                Comment

                • #23
                  bigbearbear
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 5378

                  Originally posted by Bigedski
                  Remember a ROLL PIN PUNCH is not the same as a punch, the deference is that the roll pin punch has a bump on the tip*of the punch that fits in the center of the roll pin. A roll pin punch should never be used as a regular punch it will not only damage the punch it will damage the pin.
                  You should have a set of both.
                  Thanks, looks like I need the regular punch for now and might need the roll pin punch later.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    RP1911
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 5198

                    I have the Brownells set, the bolt catch special tools (2) by Wheeler and a Harbor Frieght long kit.

                    They all serve specific functions. The real small ones are prone to bend if not careful.
                    RP1911
                    -----------
                    NRA Life
                    CGN

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      coolname74
                      Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 214

                      Punch Pin Set

                      I just ordered this off ebay:



                      Also at Walmart.

                      I have this for AR builds:

                      Model A Ford and a tank full of gas...

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        saki302
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 7191

                        'Hong kong special" 🤣🤣🤣😭🤣

                        I remember as a kid a guy telling me about a special exhaust he was going to install on his civic. You guessed it, hong kong special 🤣

                        I thought it was interesting since I grew up there and never heard of such a thing.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ARDude
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2006
                          • 2723

                          Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
                          I currently use the standard punches from them without difficulty. I’m not really sure if they still sell the actual roll pin punches anymore as I have a vintage set (not from harbor freight) my pops left me. From back when tools were made to last!






                          I rest my case.

                          Me too. I have some roll pin punches, but rarely use them.

                          But I do really like starter punches and finish with standard set from Harbor Freight.
                          Real-life Girls

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            L84CABO
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 8779

                            Originally posted by Mayor McRifle
                            +1. I've got the Grace set and they've been great. I also picked up a set of Brownells Roll Pin Starter Punches. Punches are kind of viewed as disposable items. Use them long enough and you will probably either bend or brake a couple. Starter punches are just shorter versions of regular roll pin punches. As the name implies, you use the shorter starter punches to get the pin moving and then switch to the longer ones when appropriate. The shorter punches are stronger and cheaper to replace when they bend or break, thus saving your longer, and usually more expensive/delicate, ones. YMMV.
                            "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

                            Fighter Pilot

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Aeneas
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2014
                              • 1127

                              A punch is not the best tool for removing and replacing an AR trigger. You can use one, but you wouldn't want a roll pin punch anyway. Your best bet will be something flat and similar or the same diameter as the trigger pins. The Geissele Trigger Fitting Pin works like a charm. It's very ergonomic and purpose built. You press the pins out while controlling the spring tension, and use it to slave the pins back in.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                hambam105
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 7083

                                If it's not the proper type or size of punch pin then go with plan B and just hit the darn thing with a bigger hammer.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1