Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Roll pin punch set recommendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigbearbear
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 5378

    Roll pin punch set recommendation

    Looking to buy a roll pin punch set and would like to have some recommendations. I don't work on my guns too much but is planning to do some modification to a shotgun that will require the use of a punch.

    I have a AR-15 that could use a nicer trigger.

    So I thought this will be a good time to get myself a good set of roll pin punches.

    Any recommendations? Thanks.
  • #2
    Mayor McRifle
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2013
    • 7771

    These have been all I’ve ever needed: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod38883.aspx
    Anchors Aweigh

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      WartHog
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 4639

      Grace USA makes some good quality sets at a fair price.
      Originally posted by Sierra57
      Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
      "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

      Comment

      • #4
        Bigtwin
        Veteran Member
        • May 2010
        • 2639

        I can't argue against getting a good roll pin punch set, but if you think you need a better trigger the punch set is not going to do any benefit.
        NRA MEMBER

        Comment

        • #5
          tomk556
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 870

          Honestly I think most sets that midway and brownells sells are decent. Do yourself a favor and learn to use them properly (unlike me). As in rather than bending half your punches, YouTube and learn about starter punches etc.

          Comment

          • #6
            alpha_romeo_XV
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2006
            • 3148

            For the bolt catch roll pin on an AR15 upper, this special punch is very useful if not a must to avoid maring your receiver. I've swapped out bolt catches to upgrade to extended release you push with your trigger finger, and also swapped one to the Hellfighter "fixed mag" bolt non-catch.

            Comment

            • #7
              MrFeetZ
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 545

              Stay away from the ones on Amazon! I love Amazon but the the small punch I got bent first time I tapped it.

              Comment

              • #8
                Catch
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 1327

                The Hong Kong specials on Amazon are good for single use.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SonofWWIIDI
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 21583

                  I just go to harbor freight and buy a set.

                  If used properly they last quite a long time.

                  JMHO
                  Sorry, not sorry.
                  🎺

                  Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AlHO1966
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2017
                    • 492

                    I’ve got a nice brass set I use on 1911’s and nicer guns. However, the set I use most of the time is a wheeler set I bought off amazon and the specialty bolt catch roll pin holder from brownel’s honestly it sounds like this is all you need. You can basically do everything you want on an ar with this kit and a few roll pin holders.
                    Wheeler Engineering Roll Pin Starter Punch Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NWBVI..._w8upDbNV75F3J

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Barang
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 13418

                      harbor freight.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        n8vrmind
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2017
                        • 1484

                        Tekton punch set from Amazon. Broke of the tip of a punch while hammering in a hardened pin. Email vendor and got replacement punch at no cost. Highly recommended

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          hambam105
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 7083

                          For delicate work on ARs and old shotguns a punch set from Harbor Freight is just the beginning. Afterwards you
                          want to go to the Plumbing section and get the real tools for all your fine gunsmithing needs.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ARDude
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2006
                            • 2723

                            I don't think Harbor Freight has roll pin punches.
                            Real-life Girls

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Barang
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Aug 2013
                              • 13418

                              they have short & long. hex set are also available and much more.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1