Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CLP vs dedicated solvent & lube

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    wpage
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2011
    • 6072

    Its alll good and works. Dealers choice...
    God so loved the world He gave His only Son... Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

    NRA,,, Lifer

    United Air Epic Fail Video ...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg

    Comment

    • #47
      lowprone
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2017
      • 5

      Originally posted by tanks
      I use non-chlorinated break cleaner to clean. Breaks down and blows the dirt and grime right off. Then use either Lucas Oil or Slide Glide for lube depending on the gun.
      Which Lucas oil do you use? The red or the green stuff?

      Comment

      • #48
        cire raeb
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 1049

        Slip 2000 for me.

        Comment

        • #49
          omega
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2005
          • 3114

          if the bore shows leading or copper, I use a bore solvent like Hoppes

          I tried the sample LUCAS gun oil that came with my new SIG, and I like it, it seems to have good adhesion.

          Comment

          • #50
            mstlaurent
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 1408

            Originally posted by wpage
            Its alll good and works. Dealers choice...
            This. I do what I do because I've been doing it for decades, and it works. There are very few gun care products out there that don't work. Find a routine that works for you, and stick with it.
            I've never seen an American flag burned at a gun show.

            Comment

            • #51
              Jimi Jah
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2014
              • 19230

              Originally posted by maro69camaro
              I see a little hate for froglube but that usually comes from people who have never tried it.
              I love frog lube. I use it on my garage door rails, it's amazing! Rem Oil in the spray can is great for sticky door locks. Hoppes #9 makes a great smelling salt.

              The guns get Slip.

              Comment

              • #52
                Dano3467
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2013
                • 7381

                For me, one does not fit all.

                +1 for gun butter..(only one gets that alum frame 1911) runs better (ask wife)

                Mil-com Tw25b all other HG's.

                Clean & coat with tri-flow, been working well for 35yrs

                AR's mobil 1 for lube, no issues

                Do deep clean (on occasion) with carb cleaner, but not all firearms.

                Air compressor can be your friend at those times IMHO

                Like Mstlaurent said above "It's all good works"

                Comment

                • #53
                  tanks
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • 4038

                  Originally posted by lowprone
                  Which Lucas oil do you use? The red or the green stuff?
                  Red.
                  "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
                  "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    unusedusername
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 4124

                    A dedicated gun oil or grease will generally do a better job of lubrication then a gun oil or grease that is diluted by cleaning agents.

                    The same can be said of dedicated cleaners vs a cleaner that is diluted with a lubricant.

                    That being said, the all in ones do a reasonable job of both if your firearm isn't really dirty.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Oldboyjun
                      Member
                      • Jan 2018
                      • 196

                      IMO, different guns require different lubes. I'm not a fan of CLP products, they are good at several things but not great at anything. I believe their popularity is due to their widespread use by the military, where an all-in-one product makes sense for soldiers who are already loaded down with gear. They don't have the space for a separate cleaner, lube and rust preventative. The average civilian gun owner doesn't have space restrictions and so we don't have to make that compromise.

                      Hoppe's #9 - for cleaning the bore (and inside the frame/slide of 1911's and other all-steel guns)
                      Slip 2000 Cleaner - for inside the frame/slide on all other guns i.e. polymer
                      Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II or FP-10 - for lubing rails and other areas on tight-fit 1911's (Les Baer in particular)
                      TW-25b grease - for lubing rails on non-1911's
                      Lubriplate - for Mini-14 and M1A
                      Silicone Cloth - for wiping down the outside of the gun to prevent corrosion to the finish

                      I have a can of Ballistol that I used once and will never use again because I can't stand the smell.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        CinnamonBear723
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 1874

                        I use hoppes 9 and bore shine for cleaning. I use mobil one for lubing things. Right now i'm in the process of testing a new lube but i will still use hoppes and bore shine for cleaning.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          choprzrul
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 6551

                          Shooters Choice to remove carbon fouling from the barrel



                          General cleaning, lubrication, and rust prevention I use Eezox



                          If accuracy starts to suffer after 250-300 rounds (using a copper fouling elimination powder such as the Enduron line or CFE.....75-100 rounds otherwise), I will use the BoreTech CU+2 product

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            FlyingShooter
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 831

                            Ballistol to get everything clean, then lube the critical areas with M Pro 7 gun oil. Easy and seems to work well for me.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1