Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CLP vs dedicated solvent & lube

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Icypu
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 1051

    I prefer hoppes no. 7 for solvent and I lube up using CLP or Dupont krytex grease for the sliding parts. This is only for detailed clean that can pass inspection. When I do like expedient cleaning, like 7min job, I just use CLP or Mobile 1. I don't know why, but CLP will dissipate in a month or so.

    Comment

    • #32
      bigbearbear
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2011
      • 5378

      I use G96 CLP for all my guns, simplify things for me with only 1 product to deal with.

      Both wife and I shoot trap fairly regularly, I used to use it more often when we were both using semi-auto shotguns but now that we've both switched to break-action shotguns, I hardly use it much as there aren't as many lubricating points for CLP.

      I do use grease on the break action shotguns and I use Superlube for it.

      Comment

      • #33
        HooYah
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 1575

        CLP does a mediocre job at everything, but isn't really great at any one thing in particular.

        Comment

        • #34
          mikeyr
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 1554

          all my guns get whatever is on my bench this week. And its NEVER froglube.
          sigpic
          NRA Benefactor Member
          . CRPA Member

          Comment

          • #35
            Big Lan
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2017
            • 24

            I'm a CLP/Hoppes kinda guy...works well enough for me, but what do I know?

            I have tried a couple other things, like stinky Ballistol, and to that end...


            Originally posted by Harry Ono
            trying to find Balliston in the SF Bay Area and its a no go!

            anyone have recommendations to finding a good store that carries it.

            ps... hate online.
            I picked up a can at Imbert and Smithers.

            Comment

            • #36
              Calif Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • 3323

              Hoppes or Butch's to get powder fouling out. Patch, let soak, dry patch, another wet patch, then brush. Repeat until clean. Then Wipeout or Patchout for copper. Wet patch, let soak (even overnight), nylon brush, dry patch and repeat until no more blue.

              Handguns that have shot lead bullets get a good soaking with wet patches with Kroil. Let soak, then bronze brush. It works well to get the lead out. Then Hoppes or Butch's to get the other fouling out. Then a light coat of oil if going to storage.

              For semiauto rifles, I use Hornady One Shot Cleaner Dry Lube to clean out the action. I also use it in my MKII Ruger pistol and on the bolts in rifles.

              Semiauto handguns get a light coat of grease on the rails.

              Comment

              • #37
                bigstick61
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • 3211

                Hoppes for cleaning. Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm for lube (Bolt Balm for repeaters, Winter Balm for really cold weather, and Rimfire Remedy for rimfires). ALG Go Juice for areas I can't touch with normal greases.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Angrysnarf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2015
                  • 2860

                  CLP to clean. Battle born grease to lube. In a pinch, CLP for both

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Usmc0844spare
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2016
                    • 1318

                    Originally posted by maro69camaro
                    Do you only use a CLP or a dedicated solvent & lube? Do you use the same stuff on all your firearms or special lubes for different ones?
                    I'm a firm believer that different firearms use different lubes & cleaners. My glocks got the Frog Lube treatment & that all they get. I run them a little on the drier side. My 642 gets dedicated lubes but I just got my first 1911A1 (SA TRP SS) & I'm not sure if I'm going to use a CLP or dedicated lubes but I leaning towards dedicated.
                    At some point I heard that certain types of CLP contain teflon which can screw up accuracy when left in the bbl.

                    In my head I know this accuracy difference would not be noticeable to anyone other than a Camp Perry shooter running high grade match barrels and handloads, but it has lodged in my OCD pre-frontal cortex and therefore I only use plain jane gun oil for bore rust protection. For bore cleaning I basically do use CLP but it's a version w/o teflon called CAC which does good job on carbon and copper. When that bottle runs out I'll get something else although I then go OCD on the fact that a lot of the other cleaners are water based. Regardless I hose the remnants out with brake cleaner and then leave a film of plain old gun oil.

                    Otherwise everything that slides or rotates in my guns gets CLP for lube and cleaning.

                    I think lubes and cleaners are largely over-thought (me included) and unless you operate in extreme conditions, most people could probably just use any "gun cleaner" followed up by household 3-in-1 oil on their guns and be just fine. Lotta snake oil in the industry.
                    Last edited by Usmc0844spare; 03-04-2019, 11:33 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Jeepergeo
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 3507

                      Open a jar of Hoppes for nostalgia and it's great smell, then clean, lube, and protect with BreakFree CLP. Put lid back on the Hoppes. All done.
                      Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
                      Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        blubullett
                        Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 347

                        I use CLP to clean then lube with Lucas Gun oil or grease, depending on what is called for. I used to just use CLP but after trying some dedicated oil/grease I am sold. It made a huge difference over just CLP.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          jarhead714
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 9641

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            maro69camaro
                            Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 145

                            I love it & keep it coming. I know alot of people feel this is a dead horse but I love to see what other people use. I see a little hate for froglube but that usually comes from people who have never tried it.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              jarhead714
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 9641

                              Originally posted by maro69camaro
                              I love it & keep it coming. I know alot of people feel this is a dead horse but I love to see what other people use. I see a little hate for froglube but that usually comes from people who have never tried it.
                              I think most of the hate actually originated from people who did try it and those who read or heard from those same people that it blows.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                tanks
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • 4038

                                I use non-chlorinated break cleaner to clean. Breaks down and blows the dirt and grime right off. Then use either Lucas Oil or Slide Glide for lube depending on the gun.
                                "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
                                "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1