Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Disappointing Turners experience - or Calguns PSA

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Two Nuggets
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2016
    • 1054

    Turners is the ugly girl at the bar at last call.

    No one wants to but if we have to...

    Comment

    • #32
      STAGE 2
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2006
      • 5907

      Then we simply have a difference of opinion. I expect a gun store to follow the law and not put in place extra hurdles.
      attorneys use a specific analytical framework beaten into the spot that used to house our common sense

      Comment

      • #33
        sfe187
        Banned
        • Sep 2016
        • 1770

        Originally posted by Two Nuggets
        Turners is the ugly girl at the bar at last call.

        No one wants to but if we have to...
        Who hasn't! Anything that moves mentality! The ugly all becomes ivy rose per Mr. Jack Daniels!

        Comment

        • #34
          xxINKxx
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • 4289

          Just like car dealerships. They hire employees that have no knowledge about cars, and couldn't add windshield washer fluid if their life depended on it. They just sell them and know how to do the paper work. Its just a job that pays the bills.

          Some turners you get lucky and there are employees who are gun enthusiasts who know the ropes. But majority of them its just another job that pays the bills. They may think guns are cool, but no nothing about laws, or guns in general.
          Last edited by xxINKxx; 11-24-2018, 6:48 PM.
          "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

          Comment

          • #35
            boopiejones
            Senior Member
            • May 2014
            • 2044

            Originally posted by protohyp
            I hear you but plenty of other threads on other FFL’s doing the exact same thing.


            It’s just piece of mind. Like calling ahead to reserve an item regardless of how many are in stock because who knows if while on the way over some guy wants to buy all the stock on hand.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I respectfully disagree with you. The issue is that stores make arbitrary rules for ppts that they pull out of their @$$. So it’s not possible to call ahead of time and cover all the possible bases. What am I supposed to ask?

            Will you do a ppt if I don’t have the mag? What if the gun is pink? Do I need to make an appointment? What if the sellers name is Tom? What if it’s two hours prior to closing time? What if it’s the first Tuesday after a partial eclipse? Do you have room in your safe? What if it is a hunting rifle? Etc.

            I’ve had mostly good PPT experiences, but I did have a doozie at Cordelia gun exchange. Called ahead and asked if they would do a ppt on Saturday for a handgun. They said yes. So the seller and I show up right when they open and there is a sign on the door saying “ppt by appointment only”. They should have ASKED if I wanted to make an appointment when I called them, as this is not normal. So we go inside and explain that we each drove 45 minutes to meet here. The guy asks what we are transferring. I tell him it’s a Ruger LCP (very tiny gun) and he says they can’t do the ppt because they only have room in the safe for rifles.

            Bottom line is that a lot of dealers don’t like ppts because they are short sighted and see it as a nuisance for only $10. So they are purposely dicks about it. But what they don’t realize is that they lose customers that way.
            my Benitez goes to 11

            Comment

            • #36
              xxINKxx
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 4289

              Originally posted by boopiejones

              Bottom line is that a lot of dealers don’t like ppts because they are short sighted and see it as a nuisance for only $10. So they are purposely dicks about it. But what they don’t realize is that they lose customers that way.
              Yep. Ades in orange did that to me. I sold a gun on calguns and the buyer said he always uses Ades (when the newer lady owner took over and moved by the orange circle)

              Went in, was a total ghost town. No other customers. 1 older gentleman employee was sweeping, the other younger kid eating mexican food watching tv, the owner reading a people magazine in her office.

              They basically told us to go away as the wait would be 2 hours.....????

              All the other gun shops in town were super crowded out the door so we went back and said wede gladly wait. The whole transaction took only 10 mins, and there never was any customers the whole time we were in there.

              I got a nice lecture how they dont like doing PPTs because "its an inconvenience for a lousy $10, having to store the gun for 10 days, put the gun in their books and its not worth it to them, they would rather be dealing with peoples estate sales making real money"

              I left them a bad review and she messaged me and threatened to sue me for slander all for sharing my experience LOL...
              Last edited by xxINKxx; 11-24-2018, 7:02 PM.
              "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

              Comment

              • #37
                sfe187
                Banned
                • Sep 2016
                • 1770

                Originally posted by STAGE 2
                I expect a gun store to follow the law and not put in place extra hurdles.
                Totally agreed. However, not all LGS/FFL follow the law. Some make up or interpret their own. Like some LGS/FFL charging more than $35 for ppt or refuse PPT entirely or won't accept safe affidavit and make you buy one of their locks for $20.

                Every business is run differently (following the law or not), in your case, since your FFL was not available, you still wanted to get the ppt done thus you took a chance on an unfamiliar LGS and here we are. My advice, stick with your regular LGS as there won't be surprises. If you feel like the ppt deal can't wait then you take that chance and don't be too upset on their policy or interpretation of the law. Personally if I was going to an unknown LGS/FFL, I would make those calls to make sure no hiccups for our PPT. Money is on the line, dot the i and cross the t.

                Lastly, chain managers often run their store/unit the way they see fit. Just like Walmart, one store you can get cash back with no receipt under $25 but other store is Store Credit on all returns with no receipt per Store Manager. You call corporate, they'll listen to all your grievances but at the end they'll say store manager makes the final decision.
                Last edited by sfe187; 11-24-2018, 7:03 PM.

                Comment

                • #38
                  CessnaDriver
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 10915

                  Kearny Mesa has always worked for me. Paperwork can take longer than I like but they do seem to triple check everything.


                  "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Mayor McRifle
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2013
                    • 7771

                    Originally posted by beerman
                    I like Turners.. But I know to NEVER expect:
                    to be waited on at the gun counter without an hour wait
                    to expect any EZ PPT..or one without needless crap
                    a sales item to be in stock.
                    to have anyone at the gun counter that really knows firearms
                    to have anyone at the gun counter that really knows California laws
                    That said, they have a good selection of firearms, ammo and fishing tackle.
                    Sounds like Bass Pro Shop in Manteca, with the exception of the good selection of firearms and ammo.

                    Real gun shops are the only way to go.
                    Anchors Aweigh

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      STAGE 2
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 5907

                      Originally posted by sfe187
                      Every business is run differently (following the law or not), in your case, since your FFL was not available, you still wanted to get the ppt done thus you took a chance on an unfamiliar LGS and here we are.
                      attorneys use a specific analytical framework beaten into the spot that used to house our common sense

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Jwalt
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2017
                        • 551

                        It's Turner's.

                        I don't go to Home Depot and expect the service I get at my local ACE. I don't go to Wal-Mart and expect the girl stocking the fishing section to have good advice about a lure.

                        It's Turner's. The guy at the counter has *zero* say-so to violate policy, whether that's his managers policy or the actual corporate policy. Getting mad at him is absolutely pointless. He has no wiggle room if he wants to keep his job and since he's working at Turner's he probably doesn't have a lot of other options.

                        Call corporate. Let them have it. It may change something, who knows.

                        But it's still going to be Turner's at the end of the day.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          sfe187
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2016
                          • 1770

                          Yeah I totally hear ya. Maybe this time was a different person or manager on duty. Tuner's has the worst reputation on following policy and procedures from store to store. One store does this and the other does not. One manager does this and others does not. The issues comes to ego and whomever in charge at the time. I recall one store refuse to help a buyer take a store bought safe to his car saying "my workers will get hurt". Corporate gets involved and just apologies thats all. In your case I bet if you ask Chris (The Tunrer's guy) on here, he'll probably say we miss the ball on that and will pass the info along to make sure it does not happen again. But he can't control what those Managers's decisions real time so it is what it is.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            johnthomas
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 7001

                            Then don't or open an FFL up yourself. California doesn't have much to choose from. When Turners opened up in Salinas, I bought a few guns. I also had a few problems. It is something to expect. Now I live in NV. Closest Gun shop is about 5 miles away. Or I can drive to Vegas, 16 miles and find all kinds.
                            I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              4EverPouring3WM
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 693

                              I must be one if the lucky few that has mostly positive experiences at turners. The only time I thought we were going to have a problem was when I was selling a para ordnance warthog and the manager at first said they could not process the transfer because it says "Hi Cap" on the slide, apparently he thought a 3" .45 was high capacity. It took a minute to clear up, then all went well. I feel for the people that have had so many negative experiences. They may not be my go-to store, but it has been convenient at times.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Gavelek
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2012
                                • 1275

                                So you wanted ppt a gun without a mag and what’s your rant about?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1