Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reason why gun vendors don't take AMEX??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    kingjoey
    Banned
    • Jun 2008
    • 441

    AMEX does charge a lot more fees. We accept MC, Visa, AMEX, and Discover and it takes three different networks to make that happen. AMEX has the highest fee rate of the four. We have a 3% surcharge policy that we usually waive.....unless your paying with an AMEX card

    On a side note, AMEX lost some court settlement for card services and we got about $500 from it. I'm not complaining

    Comment

    • #32
      jumbopanda
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2006
      • 8382

      A better question would be: who the hell DOES take AMEX?
      Mo' BBs.

      Comment

      • #33
        dfens
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2007
        • 946

        I don't want to get into a long debate every place is different. All I know is that my side job doesn't like the extra fees which really add up. True that most people trying to use AMEX are richer people, but say 5 percent or so of our customers actually have one of their cards. Never have we lost a sale because we don't accept it. We have a sign that says not accepted and still they try to pay using it.

        They pay cash or use Visa or Master Card which we accept. People don't understand the extra fees add to business expenses and cutting fat anywhere helps keep us alive. Especially in these tough times.

        Customers that I've asked why it's so important to use AMEX when I see they have a wallet full of credit cards and ATM cards to choose from, always say the same thing. Well I get points on the card.

        It's funny I can't think of any real place that accepts it and now I know for good reason.

        Comment

        • #34
          xddueller
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 4

          Amex will back you up on all your purchases.
          If you ever have a problem that a merchant is unwilling to resolve, Amex has unmatched purchase protection.

          Comment

          • #35
            Dr Rockso
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 3701

            I make almost all of my gun related purchases on my Amex. Midway, Brownells, and most of the other big guys take it. Paid for a rifle from DD's Ranch with it, as well. It's not a make-or-break thing for me in brick and mortar stores, but buying online I really do prefer to use it.

            Comment

            • #36
              tankerman
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2006
              • 24240

              Originally posted by jumbopanda
              A better question would be: who the hell DOES take AMEX?
              Plenty of places take AMEX, ignorant to assume that just because you don't have one, that no one accepts them.

              Comment

              • #37
                Vin496
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2008
                • 8804

                Originally posted by tankerman
                Plenty of places take AMEX, ignorant to assume that just because you don't have one, that no one accepts them.
                Funny thing is AMEX is actually one of the easier cards to get. Everyone I know when they were 1st starting their credit Amex was always the 1st and easiest card to get.

                If you ever leave the Country AMEX is accepted at far far fewer places than Visa or MC, also Neiman Marcus only accepts AMEX besides it's own card, except the Vegas Neimans that will take all. I assume because of the large amount of foreign tourist and the fact that AMEX is not popular in other Countries.
                I think it can be confirmed that an alien xenomorph is absolutely no match for good ole' Alabama black snake!

                and

                If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".

                Comment

                • #38
                  jrau13
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 1073

                  Originally posted by Vin496
                  Funny thing is AMEX is actually one of the easier cards to get. Everyone I know when they were 1st starting their credit Amex was always the 1st and easiest card to get.

                  If you ever leave the Country AMEX is accepted at far far fewer places than Visa or MC, also Neiman Marcus only accepts AMEX besides it's own card, except the Vegas Neimans that will take all. I assume because of the large amount of foreign tourist and the fact that AMEX is not popular in other Countries.
                  I never had an issue with my Amex when out of the country but I can't really recall using it as often as I normally do at home. I usually try to carry more cash when traveling as a safety for those times when, as they say, "cash talks"
                  sigpic
                  We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
                  Ronald Reagan

                  The mindless dribble that is my BLOG

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Darklyte27
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2008
                    • 9372

                    I also heard that Amex purchases on certain items doubles your warranty automatically?
                    2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

                    Chickens

                    Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
                    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      alexander
                      Member
                      • May 2006
                      • 120

                      Originally posted by jrau13
                      I never had an issue with my Amex when out of the country
                      Same here. I just went down through New Zealand and Australia on business, and ended up using my Amex the most.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        dfletcher
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 14811

                        I use my AmEx almost exclusively for car rental due to their insurance benefits.

                        Three damaged rental cars - $12,000.00.
                        Cost of car rentals with AmEx coverage - $63.00.
                        Being able to call up AmEx and say "handle it" - priceless .......
                        GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          MontClaire
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 4859

                          Originally posted by dfens
                          It's funny I can't think of any real place that accepts it and now I know for good reason.
                          Could it be because you didn't look at other real businesses and measure your views on couple of small mom and pop shops?

                          I use my AMEX blue cash and get 5% back.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            jumbopanda
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 8382

                            Originally posted by tankerman
                            Plenty of places take AMEX, ignorant to assume that just because you don't have one, that no one accepts them.
                            It's also ignorant to assume that I don't have one.
                            Mo' BBs.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              cgseanp1
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 4651

                              off topic, but screw AMEX! I was one of the unlucky ones that had them cut my limit for no reason, other than that the economy sucks and they were worried about not getting paid. I went from a 10k limit to 1k limit!! I am actually about to cancel them once i pay off my last 700. It may hurt my credit, but they already hurt my credit when they cut my limit so drastically. Never paid late or anything, and I'm in the military so I'm not really not some at risk person to lose my job and not pay. Oh well, there loss..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1