Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reason why gun vendors don't take AMEX??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jrau13
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 1073

    Reason why gun vendors don't take AMEX??

    I was wondering why most gun related vendors don't take American Express? I used to own a business and know they charge a little more in fees for usage. I made sure my company took Amex and it was worth the fees.

    I personally use my Amex for all of my larger purchases unless I have the cash in the bank. I like the points and know that I need to pay it off at the end of the month. There is an option to make payments on purchases over $200 on some accounts.

    Either way what do you think the reason is?
    sigpic
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

    The mindless dribble that is my BLOG
  • #2
    Darklyte27
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 9372

    Amex charges ALOT more plain and simple.
    I try to use my Amex alot too and I do because I get 1-5% cashback..
    2 HANDGUNS STOLEN! 1 RECOVERED READ HERE

    Chickens

    Want to get into Ham Radio? Click here
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=202581

    Comment

    • #3
      AndrewMendez
      C3 Leader
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jan 2009
      • 6782

      I think its just a money thing, a lot do it with Discover too! Either that, or maybe they dont want you to try and max out your card that has no limit!
      Need A Realtor in SoCal? Shoot me a PM. :cool:

      Comment

      • #4
        jrau13
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1073

        Originally posted by Darklyte27
        Amex charges ALOT more plain and simple.
        I try to use my Amex alot too and I do because I get 1-5% cashback..
        Yeah they do charge a lot but they do have some good advantages for the user.
        sigpic
        We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
        Ronald Reagan

        The mindless dribble that is my BLOG

        Comment

        • #5
          jksupplyco
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2008
          • 1623

          Most Merchant Services supply VISA/MC processing standard. AMEX processing is a whole different service. Some CC Processing companies offer it, some don't. If they do, you have to request it added to your service. I process all three, but my Merchant Services company is not set up with Discover Card, so I dont accept that one. Its just a matter of who they do business with, and whether they've added the AMEX services or not..

          Comment

          • #6
            xibunkrlilkidsx
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2008
            • 5419

            Basically Amex charges the company you buying for more per use, something like 3-4% of the purchase.

            Discover is just as bad if not worse.
            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
            PSN Id: FNChester
            Certified Welder-ANSI/AWS D1.2 1F/G, 2F/G, 3 F/G up to 1/2 plate aluminium GTAW. &
            D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
            I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.

            Comment

            • #7
              Rule .308
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 2531

              It is a simple matter of costs. AmEx and Discover card gouge hard. Let's face it, if the card pays you back, where do you think that money comes from, the tooth fairy? It comes out of the vendors backside. If I never process a Discover card for the entire year it costs me somewhere between 250-300 bucks a year just for the privelege of being able to take the card and I just got a letter in the mail from them that states that if I do not go paperless on my statement that they are going to charge me another $10.00 a month, yep another $120.00 per year. This stuff stacks up and at the end of the year you find that you have paid thousands of dollars in credit card fees and it really eats you alive. In the end though, it is the consumer that pays for it really. It just drives up the price of business across the board. This is why I get a real laugh at people that come into my place of business, try to grind me on the price and then want to pay with plastic. The first thing a grinder gets told in my place is "how do you intend to pay?" If it is cash then we can work a deal, if it is plastic then it is full hit, have a nice day

              Comment

              • #8
                geeknow
                Lifetime Contributor #1
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Aug 2007
                • 3144

                Amex charges up the wazoo.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ojisan
                  Agent 86
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 11781

                  Many CC processing companies do not have AmEx for the reasons above.
                  Yes, very expensive, and they wanted a whole separate agreement and have a much higher fee schedule than everyone else.
                  I do not want to charge a higher price or add a CC surcharge for orders placed by AmEx, so no AmEx here.

                  Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                  I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Jimmy Deuce
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 2291

                    +1 on different sytem and Amex charges higher fees.
                    "No fate no fate but the one we make"
                    -Sarah Connor
                    "No Compromise"
                    -Rorschach
                    "An elected legislative body can trample a man's rights just as easliy as a King"
                    -Benjamin Martin
                    "So we stepped off the path"
                    -Mr. Parker

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      eijjie33
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 904

                      Originally posted by ANDREWMENDEZ
                      I think its just a money thing, a lot do it with Discover too! Either that, or maybe they dont want you to try and max out your card that has no limit!
                      mine has,according to the wife.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i04gCDA-mg

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        dixieD
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 2654

                        It isn't just gun shops. I don't get the argument though. Merchants should just factor in the cost of a Amex transaction into the purchase price of the merchandise. If someone comes along and pays with a Visa then it is extra $$ money for the shop owner. I know this works because many stores do take Amex and prices are not noticeably higher.
                        As Einstein has shown that it takes infinite energy to accelerate a mass to the speed of light, Obama AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE will demonstrate that it takes infinite money to attain utopia

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          hoffmang
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 18448

                          Amex is more expensive. However, Amex users have more buying power and Amex is a far more sane entity to deal with than Visa or Mastercard.

                          One get what one pays for.

                          -Gene
                          Gene Hoffman
                          Chairman, California Gun Rights Foundation

                          DONATE NOW
                          to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
                          Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
                          I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!


                          "The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Beelzy
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Apr 2008
                            • 9225

                            Ok guys, the real reason:

                            Amex is the ONLY company that takes their fees "off the top" of the purchase, which makes it harder to track individual deposit transactions with
                            the bank.

                            For the Layman.....Bigger PITA.
                            "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              antiocharmory
                              Junior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 36

                              For us, we do not accept American Express because their fees are much higher in comparison to Visa, Mastercard and Discover. We've had problems with Amex as well since they are more customer oriented, they give retailers a hell of a time when there is a dispute with a charge.
                              Antioch Armory
                              625 West 3rd Street
                              Antioch, CA 94509
                              925-706-1442

                              www.antiocharmory.com
                              Firearms, fishing, and more!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1