Good work and keep it up. I wish more with "experience" would speak up. In all sports and hobbys there will be know-it-alls, but gun shops and shows seem to attract them like flys to road kill.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
GUNSHOP MACHO TURN-OFF
Collapse
X
-
The only thing that is worse than an idiot, is someone who argues with one. -
I can see both sides to be honest.
I have never worked at a gun shop but I can imagine that they get A LOT of window shoppers looking to "hold their first gun" or otherwise simply waste the salesman's time. I go to the local gun shops maybe once a month (since I cannot afford to go more often), and Continually see newbs in there trying to handle the merchandise. Even then I see probably around a 10-25% sales rate just from that small window of time I am there. I could see salesmen getting annoyed at this.
On the flip side I think sales could happen more regularly if they were more friendly and talkative. Maybe put in place and communicate a layaway plan? Basically anything to get someone's foot in the door of shooting a firearm. I think this is really where gun shop/ranges hold a LOT of opportunity. Example: Customer comes in and gets their HSC card and buys a gun. (Also - if they dont buy a gun the salesman should AT LEAST get them to rent one and shoot a handgun for the first time.) It wouldn't cost much to throw in one box of ammo and send a RO or shooter out there on the line with them to put the rounds through the gun for the first time. A LOT of first time shooters would probably rejoice at the idea of having someone looking over their shoulder the first time to confirm that they are being safe and doing things right.
The whole Napoleon complex seems to be everywhere though...from the Range to the shops. The best part is generally in every sport where a Napoleon complex is present...the athlete (or shooter in this scenario) isnt very good...almost 100% of the time...its the quiet guys who can handle their business. That's just a life lesson everyone gets to learn.
Funny story actually. I was up a few weeks ago shooting my first bolt action precision rifle at Sunnyvale. Upon signing in the RO asked what caliber I was shooting. I informed him that it was a 308 and needed to be sighted in. He suggested I start at 25yrds. I obliged. I took three shots, made the adjustments and was ready for 50. Took six shots (two 3 shot groups) and was ready for 100. The RO helped me with where I should be (elevation wise) based on the ammo I was shooting and the range I wanted to be zero-ed at...extremely helpful for a newb like me. I proceed to engage him about shooting styles, where my support hand should be for bench shooting, different techniques, tips, tricks, etc...basically looking for any more applicable information which could help my shooting. I got this look from some guys on the line "who's this guy that needs help from the RO and what a loser". Like it was a bad thing to ask for advice or criticism from someone with more experience...? I go to leave and one of the guys giving me the look says "hey nice shooting!" I replied with a simple "thanks". He proceeds to inform me about his new scope needing to be adjusted...blah blah blah. The whole time I was thinking..."if you swallowed your pride and asked for some help you might have some more fun".Comment
-
I'm tired of gun store employees trying to impose their philosophy of what guns are worth buying on me. I was in a store contemplating buying a Tantal, and three separate people swaggered up to inform me that
1. I should buy an AR instead (everyone knows you can't hit a person beyond ten paces with an AK)
2. 5.45x39mm is a "rare" caliber (riiiiight)
3. The Tantal itself isn't "practical" (for what? combat?)
What's wrong with wanting to by a relatively inexpensive rifle because I think it's cool? The attitude and the snobbishness turned me off completely, and I ended up buying one at a gun show instead.GO BRUINS!!!Comment
-
Some people lose sight of who they are and why they are there. I completely respect anyone with genuine LE or military experience, and value their contribution. Lord knows many of us lay claim to our manhood very cheaply in comparison.
Even so, when you are behind the counter, there is a different relationship and a different chain-of-command. You're a salesperson, and I am a customer. If you can't man up to respect the dictates of that mission, don't re-up for even one more day, as you are a detriment to your outfit and a danger to your "squad".Comment
-
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor
Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
sigpic CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
KM6WLVComment
-
-
This thread is quite amusing. I agree that many gun shops I've been to have far more attitude than is justified. Living in Eastern Washington as a kid every time we went to town my favorite spot to visit was the local sporting goods store. They were always friendly and helpful and happy to let a broke twelve year ols handle any gun or bow in the shop. Like every other kid in that town I already knew how to shoot.......but wouldn't have the disposable income to buy my own guns for years. Never did I get unsolicited advice either....Originally posted by Daytripper63"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."Comment
-
Where are you from in Eastern Washington? I was born in Pasco.This thread is quite amusing. I agree that many gun shops I've been to have far more attitude than is justified. Living in Eastern Washington as a kid every time we went to town my favorite spot to visit was the local sporting goods store. They were always friendly and helpful and happy to let a broke twelve year ols handle any gun or bow in the shop. Like every other kid in that town I already knew how to shoot.......but wouldn't have the disposable income to buy my own guns for years. Never did I get unsolicited advice either....sigpicComment
-
Show 'em how you feel with your dollar, don't go back!I am right with everybody else. I am still steaming on the arrogance and attitude I received when I purchased my Remington 700 Varmint at Fowler's. They are way too pricey for my taste but they were the only one around that had this model. The salesman had a "my !?#* don't stink" attitude and I just got one word answers throughout my buyout process. I am still debating on complaining to the owner or manager and tell him I will never buy a gun in there if that same salesman is employed with them. Do any of you know the managers name or owner of Fowler's? It pisses me off that I just gave them $800 to receive that kind of attitude!_____________________________________________
South Coast Outdoorsman
2736 E Chapman Ave
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
_____________________________________________Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,751
Posts: 25,151,252
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 11516 users online. 41 members and 11475 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment