Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Obscure and defunct shooting ranges

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    MeatyMac
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 2266

    Originally posted by 97F1504RAD
    We use to just go down to the bay in Pinole and shoot. We would walk into old town with our guns and ammo and the cops would stop and tell us to be careful.
    In the '70's and '80's my buddies and I use to go to the abandoned lime stone quarries above Boundary Oaks Golf Club in Walnut Creek, we'd park in the golf course parking lot and walk up the hill to the quarries; real good quail hunting up there as I remember. Today this area is the Lime Ridge Open Space off Ygnacio Valley Road.
    .

    .........??????????...... sigpic
    .
    ???Everyone's a Garand expert until the Garand expert walks in the room and I have only met 3, Scott Duff, Bruce Canfield & Gus Fisher
    .

    Comment

    • #92
      TS77
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 1697

      Originally posted by Magilla26
      The Optimist range at the end of Davis street in San Leandro. It backed up to the bay.

      wait, this one? http://www.slrifle.com

      Comment

      • #93
        97F1504RAD
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2008
        • 6319

        Originally posted by MeatyMac
        In the '70's and '80's my buddies and I use to go to the abandoned lime stone quarries above Boundary Oaks Golf Club in Walnut Creek, we'd park in the golf course parking lot and walk up the hill to the quarries; real good quail hunting up there as I remember. Today this area is the Lime Ridge Open Space off Ygnacio Valley Road.
        The good ole days for sure.

        Comment

        • #94
          71MUSTY
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2014
          • 7029

          In the old days we would just shoot in the Santa Ana Wash. As long as you were outside city limits all was cool.
          Only slaves don't need guns

          Originally posted by epilepticninja
          Americans vs. Democrats
          We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


          We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


          What doesn't kill me, better run

          Comment

          • #95
            Mitch
            Mostly Harmless
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2008
            • 6580

            Originally posted by 71MUSTY
            In the old days we would just shoot in the Santa Ana Wash. As long as you were outside city limits all was cool.
            Folks about ten or fifteen years older than me would take their .22 rifles to school in Costa Mesa so they could take them afterwards for plinking and squirrel hunting in the Newport Back Bay.
            Originally posted by cockedandglocked
            Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

            Comment

            • #96
              MrOrange
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 2262

              Originally posted by Tasty
              Could it have been part of Camp Stoneman? I know Stoneman was on the outskirts of Pittsburg. While it's not exactly Mt. Diablo...it's real close.
              No, the fly-boy shootin' range I read about was to the South or Southwest side of Diablo. It wasn't a set-up with guys on the ground using AA guns, it was for planes to come in and do strafing runs. That area wasn't full of rich folks back then!

              Apologies to Gryff for the thread-jack.

              Originally posted by MeatyMac
              Yes, that's where I took my hunter's safety class and test, I'm going to say that was in 1978 or '79.
              By any chance do you remember the name, or if it was open to regular-type range shooters? You're the first person I know of who's actually seen the place.
              I meant, it is my opinion that...






              I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
              I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
              You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

              Comment

              • #97
                dozer wright
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 2764

                May as well make a Combo thread Obscure and Defunct Shooting ranges and Drag strips. Call it missing pieces of America Heritage

                Comment

                • #98
                  FF90
                  Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • 158

                  In OC how about the trap skeet range by I-5 & 405 interchange, I think people were shooting towards the interstate and all the cars off in the distance... and what about the Issac Walton gun range in east Yorba Linda??

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    steelholder
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 3328

                    Originally posted by edgerly779
                    Hutton Rifle ranch Topanga Ca. Golden Valley Skeet and trap Whiteman airport there now. Aqua Sierra Sportsmans club owned by Roy Rogers Chatsworth, Ca. Centinela Park pistol Range. Wes Thompsons Sand canyon, Ca. Litton Gun Club simi Valley Madera Road. Watson on alameda long beach.
                    are any of these still open(valley area)
                    WTB 3rd Gen SW also looking for a 22 pistol with 6" bbl or longer

                    Comment

                    • blasterp7
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 544

                      Originally posted by Gryff
                      Stockton Police Range (Stockton, CA)
                      Still in use. This range has a special place in my heart because my Dad was an SPD Reserve Officer, and had keys to the range. The best memories of my childhood are either on the baseball field or this range.



                      That brings back memories - I used to shoot PPC there in the mid to late 70's. Great range!

                      Comment

                      • rmblaster
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 1090

                        Originally posted by pacrat



                        Dont recall name but North End of Jeffries Rd in Tustin, in the OC.


                        It was south coast gun club

                        Comment

                        • Gryff
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2006
                          • 12693

                          Originally posted by blasterp7
                          That brings back memories - I used to shoot PPC there in the mid to late 70's. Great range!
                          Then you probably shot against my father. He shot for Stockton P.D.


                          Originally posted by MrOrange
                          No, the fly-boy shootin' range I read about was to the South or Southwest side of Diablo. It wasn't a set-up with guys on the ground using AA guns, it was for planes to come in and do strafing runs. That area wasn't full of rich folks back then!

                          Apologies to Gryff for the thread-jack.
                          No worries. It's an organic thread, so I enjoy seeing some of the stuff that's been posted. The aerial gunnery training range in the Castro Valley hills blew my mind.
                          My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                          Comment

                          • highpower790
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 3481

                            Originally posted by dozer wright
                            May as well make a Combo thread Obscure and Defunct Shooting ranges and Drag strips. Call it missing pieces of America Heritage
                            White City,Ore has a drag strip and rifle range side by side.
                            Keep it simple!

                            Comment

                            • pacrat
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • May 2014
                              • 10285

                              Originally posted by rmblaster
                              It was south coast gun club
                              That was it. Nice place. Last time I was there to check it out was in the late 90's and it was a commercial nursery.

                              Comment

                              • pacrat
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • May 2014
                                • 10285

                                Originally posted by highpower790
                                White City,Ore has a drag strip and rifle range side by side.
                                You just jogged loose another brainfart on my part.

                                Winchester Trap and Skeet was just south of and adjacent to Lion's Drag Strip. On Alameda in Wilmington. Now a Petro Tank Farm.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1