Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Trap/Skeet Shotgun
Collapse
X
-
I would strongly consider trying to find a used, citori O/U. O/Us are the best for clays, require the least amount of maintenance, etc. and most agree they swing and feel better. you will never need more than 2 shells for clays anyway. just make sure you avoid field models as some of them get weird with the safety or can be too light for a clay gun.
This. usually if you get into shooting clays, you will go through many guns until you find what you like. if you buy used, and sell it, you will take a much smaller hit on it if any at all.
i really like beretta o/u and autos. i like gas more than inertia. citoris are great too especially for the money.
agreed. it is much harder/worse trying to shoot skeet/5 stand/sporting with a trap gun. flat shooting guns are therefore more universal. with a flat shooting gun, when you shoot trap you just need to float the clay some. might not be ideal but is very doable.A dedicated trap gun will not make a good skeet gun. Trap stock are designed to make the gun shoot at a rising target and are generally longer length barrel with tight er chokes. Skeet guns are design to cover a swinging target with a field type stock and are generally shorter barreled and very open choke. That my take, as my dedicated trap gun an 870TB was not a good skeet gun.
you dont need a shorter barrel gun for skeet either. 28" is a good compromise and as far as skeet is concerned, O/Us are usually shorter, given same barrel length. then just change the chokes to skeet or mod for trap.Comment
-
The great thing about the trap sport is that people want to grow the sport. And most of the guys love to talk about guns and technique. I was lucky to have a few older guys invite me on to a church league my first couple times out. I brought my mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sights as a backup but was told I could go few a fee different ones as guys rotated out. I fell in love with a browning citori bird gun over under. Did fine with an old winchester from the 40s and still managed to hit 5 with my mossberg.
A dedicated trap gun with a slanted sight with give you a better sight picture but I can compensate for it just fine with my A300 and I can play a lot more games because its so easy to shoot.
Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkComment
-
At your budget, you should check out the following shotguns and see which one fits you best.
- Benelli M2 Field
- Beretta A300
- Weatherby SA-08
- Franchi Intensity
These are the ones I can think of, pretty sure there are plenty of choices from Mossberg, Remington and Winchester too.
Be sure to shoulder them first before buying, otherwise it'll be like you buying a pair of shoes without trying it on for fit and comfort. Wetherby has a show room in their office located Paso Robles, if you can travel to their office, you'll be able to try shouldering their shotguns.Comment
-
I have the Beretta A300 Outlander, Franchi Affinity, and the Stoeger M3020 (20Ga) that I use for trap/skeet but mostly sporting clays. I would say the A300 is a bit shorter to shoulder out of the box while the Franchi is a bit longer. The A300 uses a gas piston and breaks down fairly easy while the Franchi is inertia driven. No real differences in recoil. The A300 in wood looks better but the Franchi has a fiber optic front sight. The Stoeger is ok. I feel the build quality isn't up to par with either the Beretta or Franchi.
However, that being said, I feel the Franchi has the best bang for your buck as it is cheaper than the wood A300. Lastly, I don't think it really matters as Beretta owns Benelli and Benelli owns Franchi and Stoeger.Comment
-
Although it is good to shoulder lots of guns before buying, for someone who is unfamiliar with shotguns, i think it isn't as useful as they don't really know how it should fit/feel and what they should look for. it just takes time shooting and getting used to shooting them to figure it out and figure out what fits you best from the factory. depending on your body type of course, an off the shelf gun may never be really that great.At your budget, you should check out the following shotguns and see which one fits you best.
- Benelli M2 Field
- Beretta A300
- Weatherby SA-08
- Franchi Intensity
These are the ones I can think of, pretty sure there are plenty of choices from Mossberg, Remington and Winchester too.
Be sure to shoulder them first before buying, otherwise it'll be like you buying a pair of shoes without trying it on for fit and comfort. Wetherby has a show room in their office located Paso Robles, if you can travel to their office, you'll be able to try shouldering their shotguns.Comment
-
Keep in mind that skeet and trap are totally games, and require different guns. While you can get out onto either a skeet or trap field with just about any shotgun, if you are planning on getting serious, I suggest you take a lesson or two and learn the specific requirements for both games.
As noted, go to a local range and see what is for sale on the bulletin board.
Trap and skeet shooting are the same thing, so shotguns made for them are the same as well.*Not correct...Trap shooting and skeet shooting are two completely different sports..As are the shotguns used for skeet or trap..Trap shooting is shot with a 12 gauge, single-barreled shotgun (such as the Browning BT-99, BT-99 Micro, Perazzi MX-series, Krieghoff K-80, [Kolar] T/A) or a double barreled shotgun such as the Beretta DT10, Browning XT Trap.Trap shooting is a long range game. Standard 16 yard rise, targets are typically broken at about 31-36 yards and handicap targets may be broken as far as 45-50 yards from the shooter. The longer 30-34 inch barrel allows more precise pointing due to its longer sighting plane and develops greater momentum for a smoother swing.*Skeet shooting is different from trap shooting in that the targets are going across rather than out bound,Skeet targets require very fast shots at short range with open choked guns with 26-28 inch barrels.The Firearm of choice is usually a high-quality,Double-barreled over and under shotgun with 26 or 28 inch barrel and very open chokes*Trap guns differ from skeet guns in several ways and shoot higher than their counterparts as the targets in trap shooting are shot on the rise. The most obvious difference is in the stocks. They are normally Monte Carlo or have an adjustable comb, an adjustable butt plate, or both. Such guns also have long barrels (30-34 inches), often with porting, and anything from a modified to a full choke.
Last edited by 003; 02-15-2017, 9:54 PM.Comment
-
Lol used they go for like $200 below MSRP. I see new ones cheaper than that at CDNN all the time. Finding guys selling used guns at reasonable prices is pretty rare. For a Citori to be at $1k range, it would have to be in pretty rough shapeUnless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt
I Hate California.Comment
-
I just started shooting trap a few months ago. I bought a Stoeger Condor because I didn't want to invest a lot into a new sport.
I'm really enjoying it and now that I got a tax return I decided to upgrade to an A300. Only 6 days until pick up.
One shotgun that the guys in the shotgun section speak highly of is the Weatherby SA-08. Bass Pro sells them for around $550. I just bought a 20 ga model for my girlfriend and my son to share.Comment
-
This is not true.
You must be basing this solely off calguns classifieds. there aren't really enough sales to create an efficient market. the few guns that get posted are usually priced too high. some guns are for sale forever below market price. I had my AL391 on here for months, dropping the price slowly willing to give it away for a steal rather than having to ship it. posted it for 300 more on another site willing to ship and it sold in 3 hours. i am not sure if i can post the forum here or not.. but pm me if interested there are multiple citoris for sale around $1kComment
-
Do OP reload? Chasing hulls with a semi will get old after a while.
I see used Citoris locally on a semi regular basis for $1000. Great Skeet Guns. Trap can be done but they tend to have more specialized models.TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
William Butler Yeats 1865-1939Comment
-
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,808
Posts: 25,151,837
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,793
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 21512 users online. 33 members and 21479 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment