Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun Broker Transaction go bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    M1NM
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2011
    • 7966

    Rat the seller out to DOJ he's offering hicap mags for sale.

    Comment

    • #47
      orangeusa
      • Jul 2009
      • 9055

      Originally posted by opass
      Thats how I feel about. Seller listing is very short and simple. Seller did not aware of the PPT requirenment in CA at the beginning.
      You said earlier, the complete opposite, so now you think seller is at fault?

      I have only like 4 transactions on GB for pistols. I ALWAYS called the guy, talked through the roster. You messed up. Get over it.

      .

      Comment

      • #48
        RestrictedColt
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2017
        • 773

        Seems kinda crappy that the guy just decides to arbitrarily keep some money. I'd contact GB and see what their position is on it. If he acted within their policy then so be it, if not he needs to return it. As for the negative feedback, depends on what he said. If he merely points to you not having researched it then ok, if it's a generic "bad buyer" type thing it seems a bit out of line.

        Comment

        • #49
          opass
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2016
          • 97

          Originally posted by orangeusa
          Yeah, OP walked right into that one.
          OP - sorry, but it is USUALLY the OPPOSITE. The seller won't sell in CA due to concerns about the roster... Yeah, I know the seller was in CA, but it's on you to assure it was a roster gun. 20% is not cheap, but well, you messed up.

          .
          crash and learned. ok ok. I really thought this is on the roster because they looks the same like the one I bought at year 2014 when bidding. marking as P226, same color, same length...etc..........
          Last edited by opass; 02-05-2017, 8:34 PM. Reason: wrong words

          Comment

          • #50
            opass
            Junior Member
            • Sep 2016
            • 97

            Originally posted by UberPatriot
            I think you are at fault and giving him bad feedback is inappropriate.
            INCORRECT. Seller twist the story and left negative feedback. Remember seller already kept part of the money to recover his down time. I did not do anything yet. zero feedback toward him

            Comment

            • #51
              The Gleam
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2011
              • 13372

              Originally posted by M1NM
              Rat the seller out to DOJ he's offering hicap mags for sale.
              Apparently he's not; not in CA anyway. He posted the gun on Gunbroker which has a national customer base. If the gun sold in CA, there is no evidence he would have provided the high-capacity magazines to the buyer.

              It's only fair the seller be reimbursed for the Gunbroker charges AND his time whether it was stated up front or not. This is a "you wasted my time fee" not a "restocking fee" as others are implying. If you want to call it that, it's to restock his wasted time.
              -----------------------------------------------
              Originally posted by Librarian
              What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

              If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

              Comment

              • #52
                opass
                Junior Member
                • Sep 2016
                • 97

                Originally posted by MrKiltYou
                While I agree with a lot of people you should have investigated if it was on roster or not. So should have the seller. Both of you are at fault.

                Personally I would contact GB in regards to an undisclosed restocking fee. I would also leave the seller negative feedback as it is their fault for not properly advertising the gun.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I feel guilty as well. Not 100% guilty though. Just do not feel right seller can do what ever he want. Once I have the money in the bank, I will post my part of the story with GB.

                Comment

                • #53
                  orangeusa
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 9055

                  I would like to change my opinion here.

                  I would give the guy grief about the restocking fee. If there is no sale and he's not a dealer, I don't see where he has any costs. I think relisting is free. I could be wrong.

                  Feedback - I'd give him whatever he gave you, if that's still possible (haven't used GB for a couple years now).

                  .

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    UberPatriot
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 2069

                    Originally posted by M1NM
                    Rat the seller out to DOJ he's offering hicap mags for sale.
                    There shouldn't even be a "high Cap" ban it's unconstitutional.
                    Location: Olympic Peninsula Washington

                    NRA Member

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      opass
                      Junior Member
                      • Sep 2016
                      • 97

                      Originally posted by ranch41
                      I disagree. Both buyer and seller are responsible for knowing the laws as it pertains to them. What if the buyer were LEO in which case the seller could ship the gun. What if the seller failed to get the shipping number from DOJ? Just like most things, you can only guarantee that you know your own responsibilities and hope the other party knows their's.

                      OP, take this as a cheap learning experience as he could have kept all of your money and made you drive the 450 miles to do the DROS then another 450 to pick it up.
                      Copy that. truth....Lesson learned. Keep my finger away the "place bid" button.

                      BTW.....I thought about drive up to do the DROS as road trip. But another one for the pick up is kind of too much within 30 days.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        The Gleam
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 13372

                        Originally posted by opass
                        Yes, seller is in CA and registered to him as org owner.
                        Fine; so the 450 miles (X 2) is the only thing preventing you from completing the transaction? So it's OK for you to have wasted the seller's time, but you won't "waste" your time making the drive or catching a cheap Southwest flight and car rental?

                        When you think it through, the 20% charge he is assessing is likely the same amount it would cost you in a cheap flight or gas to make the drive.

                        You might have also been able to find a gun dealer to do the PPT that also tours the major gun shows. Such as, you go up there, do the PPT, then that dealer brings the gun with him the next time he does a gun show in your area. I did that once; I drove up to Penryn, CA for a PPT with a seller, and then that dealer brought the gun with him to a show in Costa Mesa, CA. So it was only one trip for me.

                        You now have to ask yourself how much YOUR time is worth to you versus HIS time that YOU wasted. If that balances out to the 20% cost, then you can either save that 20% charge and make the trip, or take the 20% charge on the chin.

                        It's up to YOU to make it right; you either pay him the 20% fee which is fair in wasting his time, or save yourself from that charge and get your being up to him to do the PPT in person.

                        You saying "It is not worth it for the drive even half way to meet" is your choice, not his. When you buy something, it's up to you to figure out the logistics if you present them to be difficult; the seller has no provisions about such logistics on his behalf, and should not be expected to provide them.

                        From the looks of it, the 20% charge aside, I think you have already wasted about $75.00 of your own time sweating it, debating it, worrying over it, the negative feedback, posting here, and more.

                        You should have simply figured out a way to make the trip at cost; a learning lesson yes, but you would still have the gun you wanted in hand whether it cost you an extra 20% in your travel costs; now you are paying that 20% amount and getting nothing for it but worry, headaches, and negative feedback.
                        Last edited by The Gleam; 02-05-2017, 12:01 PM.
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        Originally posted by Librarian
                        What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                        If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Mitch
                          Mostly Harmless
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 6580

                          Originally posted by 200Apples
                          It's GunBroker. Not CalGunBroker.
                          Both sides in the transaction were in California.

                          Originally posted by RestrictedColt
                          Seems kinda crappy that the guy just decides to arbitrarily keep some money.
                          It sounds like a nice little racket to me. Advertise the gun for sale on Gunbroker. If a clueless Californian wins the auction, yay, free money!

                          Once again: the seller didn't even ship the gun. He didn't do a damned thing for his 20% "restocking" fee.
                          Last edited by Mitch; 02-05-2017, 12:01 PM.
                          Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                          Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            opass
                            Junior Member
                            • Sep 2016
                            • 97

                            Originally posted by Killer Bee
                            I'm with Mitch on this one from what we've heard from the buyer so far..

                            sounds to me like the seller went over the top imposing damages to the buyer..

                            negative feedback is only necessary when a resolution can't be made at all or one of the parties deliberately damages the other..

                            restocking fee for a private seller is absurd, reimbursement of his auction fees and an apology is sufficient between two grown men..

                            the seller being a CA resident as well should hold himself to the same expected level of CA gun law knowledge..

                            I've got some experience dealing on gunbroker in and out of state, and this deal sounds unfairly biased against the buyer..

                            Feedback for Killer Bee A+(32)
                            I wonder how and what GB will resolve about this.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              UberPatriot
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 2069

                              Originally posted by opass
                              I feel guilty as well. Not 100% guilty though. Just do not feel right seller can do what ever he want. Once I have the money in the bank, I will post my part of the story with GB.
                              Giving bad feedback might affect you when prospective sellers look at your transactions. As in choosing not to risk bad feedback from you.

                              If you don't have a lot invested in your GB You can always start a new account.
                              Location: Olympic Peninsula Washington

                              NRA Member

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                The Gleam
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Feb 2011
                                • 13372

                                Originally posted by Mitch

                                Both sides in the transaction were in California.

                                It sounds like a nice little racket to me. Advertise the gun for sale on Gunbroker. If a clueless Californian wins the auction, yay, free money!

                                Once again: the seller didn't even ship the gun. He didn't do a damned thing for his 20% "restocking" fee.
                                Wrong; the seller would have happily completed the sale at an FFL by PPT. It's up to the buyer to figure out the logistics and nothing is preventing the buyer from completing the purchase other than HIS determination that the trip is too far or "not worth it". The seller probably still would complete the sale if the O/P comes to the table. However, give the seller negative feedback and that will NEVER happen.

                                Once again: it's not a "restocking" fee. It's a "don't waste my valuable time" fee but the buyer did.

                                Time is a valuable commodity that can not be replaced once lost. My time is at least worth $125 per hour and I can document that. At least an hour would have been lost by the seller in communication, re-posting, processing any Money-Order or checks at the bank or post-office, not to mention the Gunbroker cost = which when added all up, sounds as if that is about 20% of the price that would have been paid for a SIG 226.
                                -----------------------------------------------
                                Originally posted by Librarian
                                What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                                If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1