Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Henry AR-7, thank Henry

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393

    Originally posted by liketoshoot
    OK so with all you that have one and shoot it, what ammo performs best in it.
    And the only thing I will add to mine maybe, I said maybe a scope.
    Thanks
    Have you been reading this thread? Its been stated a few times that they all like different ammo.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • #17
      PRKArms
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 799

      very nice
      07/02 SOT specializing in AK, AR, FAL, MAC-10 rifle and pistol sales, roster-exempt pistols, Ruger LCP, XDM, Gen4 Glock, etc.
      Open Tues-Thurs 10am-5pm, Friday 10am-6pm, and Saturday 10am-4pm
      www.prkarms.org


      Contact us at:
      Sales@prkarms.org
      (559)283-8666
      or find us on Facebook at
      http://www.facebook.com/prkarms

      The original PRK-Lock exclusive mag locks. Will not fail as other designs are subject to http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=257154

      Comment

      • #18
        AJAX22
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2006
        • 14980

        Here is one of mine

        Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

        Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

        Comment

        • #19
          BroncoBob
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2008
          • 6019

          Originally posted by AJAX22
          Here is one of mine

          Marc that is sweet looking.
          sigpic
          NRA MEMBER

          Originally Posted by ar15barrels
          Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
          Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
          Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

          Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
          Michael Reagan

          Comment

          • #20
            AJAX22
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2006
            • 14980

            Originally posted by BroncoBob
            Marc that is sweet looking.
            Thanks,

            I don't much care for the barrel shroud (I would have prefered one of the original Mitchal Arms ones to match the stock)

            I had a full mitchal arms set (made in compton CA) for the jam-o-matic that I sold (the guy who bought it wanted it for its looks, he didn't care that it never worked right)

            knowing what they go for now I kinda wish I'd hung onto the parts...


            Here is that one without the scope along with a factory gun.

            Oh and I got a cool case for it...



            Youtube Channel Proto-Ordnance

            Subscribe to Proto Ordnance

            Comment

            • #21
              RedDawn
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2007
              • 2234

              Nice, very sweet looking AR-7's.
              sigpic
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined, nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

              -- Thomas Jefferson, 1764
              *Excerpts from "On Crimes and Punishment" by Cesare Beccaria

              Comment

              • #22
                BroncoBob
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2008
                • 6019

                Originally posted by AJAX22
                Thanks,

                I don't much care for the barrel shroud (I would have prefered one of the original Mitchal Arms ones to match the stock)

                I had a full mitchal arms set (made in compton CA) for the jam-o-matic that I sold (the guy who bought it wanted it for its looks, he didn't care that it never worked right)

                knowing what they go for now I kinda wish I'd hung onto the parts...


                Here is that one without the scope along with a factory gun.

                Oh and I got a cool case for it...



                Nice stocker you have there. Funny thing is I have a case just like that. Strange how the price of stuff we no longer have has jumped up in demand.
                sigpic
                NRA MEMBER

                Originally Posted by ar15barrels
                Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
                Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
                Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

                Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
                Michael Reagan

                Comment

                • #23
                  Xerxes
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 1664

                  Originally posted by liketoshoot
                  So I bought this AR-7 and decided to put it together and try it out. The rifle went together easy enough and fired fairly regularly, would not always go to battery after each shoot, but I expected this as I heard they are picky about ammo used, (I'm still tring to find out what it likes) as for accuracy it was not to bad. So anyway when I went to take it down the bolt that holds the buttstock to the receiver was crossed threaded and stripped out almost to a solid connection, as I had no tools with me I used one of the mags. to turn it, (not very good for the mag!). After 15 minutes I got it apart and the bolt's lead looked like it was chewed up real bad and the mag well not pretty at all.
                  So I packed it all up and took it to my FFL as it was bran new and explained what was going on, he sent it back to Henry explaining what was wrong and 4 weeks later I got it back in new condition and the mag had been replaced too.
                  Put it together and took it apart and the bolt works fine now, only need to figure out what ammo it likes and I'll be real happy.
                  Thanks Henry for taking care of the problem in a timely manor.
                  Glad to see Henry took care of you.

                  Have to say you screwed up on the threaded bolt for the stock thing though.

                  Receiver is aluminum which is notorious for getting cut/stripped from the carbons stell bolt that threads into it.

                  If you are the kind of fellow to ruin a magazine using it as a screw driver, then I can tell you are also the kind of fellow to force/cross thread the bolt onto the receiver.

                  Sorry the truth hurts but oh well.

                  I have two AR-7's, an original armalite, and a charter arms (had a survival arms one for a while but ditched it due to the plastic barrel that was chewed up by the previous owner and required a new barrel to function properly).

                  As for the problem with feeding I will say.

                  The AR-7's are known as jammomatics.

                  They are very magazine sensitive. Try different magazines and keep the ones that work and ditch those that get jams. You can not tell the difference between those that work and those that do not, just that there is a feeding difference.

                  Installation of M-4 type feed ramp chamfer helps a lot. This is just a little filing on the bottom of the barrel to give it a very slight feed ramp. As I mentioned before the Survival arms plastic barrel is not conducive to this modification.

                  Feeding 22 rounds that are not crimped as hard (bullet is more easily tilted in the cartridge when pushed sideways) or more softer/thinner brass case that dents easier, or soft lead bullets (not copper jacketed) also seems to have some correllation for that jamming (not getting into full battery) but really it comes to just trying different ammo. Both my AR-7s like CCI minmag a lot though it is a tad bit pricer (like an extra penny for 5 rounds so can you afford that for more fun shooting?).

                  The other famous mod for jamming problems is filing very lightly on the bottom of the firing pin to tak the corner off of it to help it retract when chambering another round.

                  Biggest problem on mine since I did the mods and buy ammo that that feeds and functions correctly, is carbon fouling on the firing pin/bolt area which apparently causes problems with creating enough friction to keep the firing pin from retracting during feeding. Shooting less fouling ammo (read more expensive) means you can shoot longer between cleaning but eventually you do have to clean. When I shoot the cheapest stuff I can do maybe 75-100 rounds till I have to clean this area as it starts to occasionally jam. My Marlin 70 is exactly the same way in this regard. I can get about 300-400 rounds with the CCI min-mag till I get my first jam from fouling (sometimes double or triple that but at least 300 rounds is for sure jam free)

                  Another big problem is the plastic barrel models (that have a steel sleeve) as they dent easily then cause a high friction area for those occasional rounds that want to nose dive a bit then get stuck and bend as the bolt slams on them.

                  Usually keeping this thing clean, ditching the plastic barrel, doing the two mods mentioned above, finding ammo that your rifle likes and you find cost effective/willing to pay for, and finding magazines that are friendly with your rifle will lead to a reliable rifle even for the most problematic AR-7.

                  Here are some AR-7 Links for your reading pleasure














                  And here is what mine look like, one with the Mitchell sliding stock (the little sliding stock kit now sells for more than the AR-7), but these are actually pics I stole from elsewhere but coincidentally look exactly like mine so somebody else has two AR-7s that are mine twins. I wonder if I should let my AR-7's play with this fellows AR-7's since they are exact clones of each other including the BLACK ramline magazines that were not manufactured again even though they are legal since 2004.

                  [IMG]http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/32/32320/folders/98454/665504AR-7PICS001.jpgIMG]



                  GOOD LUCK!
                  Last edited by Xerxes; 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    bigthaiboy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 4795

                    Originally posted by Xerxes


                    but these are actually pics I stole from elsewhere
                    Hey, that's my gun!

                    -

                    Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1