Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bedroom Long Gun Storage Ideas

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    CandG
    Spent $299 for this text!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2014
    • 16970

    Originally posted by johnthomas
    Why not build two walls, 4 feet apart with shoe shelves on the outside of the wall you want to use as a secret door?
    That's a great idea. So many people spend $100's or $1000's on pre-built hidden gun vaults, when you could make your own hidden room for the cost of some 2x4's and sheetrock from home depot.

    My plan, when I own my own home again someday, is to convert a spare closet into a gun room. You could even reinforce the walls with steel if you were so inclined. There's no reason that, with enough creativity, you couldn't make something more secure and hidden than an off-the-shelf gun safe, with far more storage room.
    Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


    Comment

    • #17
      johnthomas
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2009
      • 7001

      Originally posted by cockedandglocked
      That's a great idea. So many people spend $100's or $1000's on pre-built hidden gun vaults, when you could make your own hidden room for the cost of some 2x4's and sheetrock from home depot.

      My plan, when I own my own home again someday, is to convert a spare closet into a gun room. You could even reinforce the walls with steel if you were so inclined. There's no reason that, with enough creativity, you couldn't make something more secure and hidden than an off-the-shelf gun safe, with far more storage room.
      A fiend of mine used the space under his stairway. He built wall, made shelves, the door is moved by a converted garage door opener.
      I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

      Comment

      • #18
        L84CABO
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2009
        • 8776

        Originally posted by RANGER295
        Great idea. I will have to look into that. I can frame it in as I build.

        I am not looking to protect the collection, just keep them out of the hands of the kids while available to me. I had to engage a dog lot that long ago that was attacking my livestock with a pistol because I didn't have time to go to the shop for a rifle. It was a large rot and between the crappy light conditions, the stress of the situation (especially when it turned towards me) and all of that I missed the first two shots nicked it with the third and dropped it from about four feet with the fourth. Living on a farm, I want long guns handy... and you can add a zero to your 4 minute response time and you are in the ballpark for my area.

        Here's two. One appears to be a key lock but it's cheap.



        "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

        Fighter Pilot

        Comment

        • #19
          CandG
          Spent $299 for this text!
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Apr 2014
          • 16970

          I have the AR version of that product, and I gotta say I'm not really thrilled with it. The product itself is good quality, but it turns out I just really don't like having an AR plainly visible, no matter how well it's secured to the wall. It isn't any faster to access (nor less expensive) than a fully enclosed lockbox. Plus, you're limited to only one gun in it. If you want to have both a rifle and a shotgun, like myself or the OP, then you have to buy two of these.

          I'd rather make the decision of which firearm I want to grab WHILE I'm unlocking my guns, not before. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to figure out which lockbox I want to open while in a panic. A single lockbox with storage for 2 longguns and 2 handguns would be ideal, such as a few of the ones mentioned by others in this thread.
          Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


          Comment

          • #20
            pting
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 77

            Originally posted by johnthomas
            A fiend of mine used the space under his stairway. He built wall, made shelves, the door is moved by a converted garage door opener.

            Cute but what if the power (and battery backup) is out?


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #21
              CandG
              Spent $299 for this text!
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Apr 2014
              • 16970

              It's too bad this product is discontinued, it would be an awesome bedroom storage solution! Field & Stream Corner Safe...



              Does anybody know of something else out there that is a lot like that product? In other words, designed to fit in a corner, and designed to hold 2-3 long guns and 2-3 pistols, and deep enough to handle guns with pistols grips and optics? The choices out there seem pretty much non-existent, I might try to have a metal shop fabricate something.
              Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


              Comment

              • #22
                Quiet
                retired Goon
                • Mar 2007
                • 30242

                Tactical Walls and Covert Cabinets, both provide hide in plain sight (concealed locked containers) solutions for storing a firearm.
                sigpic

                "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment

                • #23
                  CandG
                  Spent $299 for this text!
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Apr 2014
                  • 16970

                  Originally posted by Quiet
                  Tactical Walls and Covert Cabinets, both provide hide in plain sight (concealed locked containers) solutions for storing a firearm.
                  Interestingly, Covert Cabinets doesn't appear to actually sell cabinets - just shelves, clocks, and hollow books. Cool stuff, just an odd choice in company names for them to pick. Tactical Walls definitely has some cool stuff, been looking at them for a while, the only problem is their products seem to all be made for 2x4 walls for easy retrofit, which really limits the space for people who can make their walls any depth they want.

                  For a remodel or new home build, I think making your own solution might be your best bet if you have the skills/time. Just make sure that if someone discovers your in-wall safe, they can't just go around to the back of the wall and break through - most of those in-wall things focus so much attention on securing the front, that they forget walls have 2 sides.
                  Last edited by CandG; 03-16-2016, 9:29 PM.
                  Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                  Comment

                  • #24
                    1911_Mitch
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 678

                    -----
                    Last edited by 1911_Mitch; 08-18-2018, 8:00 AM.
                    CA born (5th gen), CA educated, Eagle Scout, NRA Member, Father, Small Business owner, Cancer survivor, Patriot

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      tommyboy619
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 891

                      Another vote for Shotlock (simplex combo)


                      Or the cheaper Mossberg Loc Box (keyed)
                      "Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold." - Thomas Jefferson

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        CamW
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1714

                        Here's a couple of ideas.

                        Guns are great. They just are. They’re valuable tools in a pinch, and they need to be there when you need them. In your home, it’s great to keep one or more guns handy, and it’s wise to keep them out of sight. Lately, I’ve been seeing a lot more furniture that functions and looks …

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          tumark2
                          Member
                          • Mar 2014
                          • 144

                          Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                          It's too bad this product is discontinued, it would be an awesome bedroom storage solution! Field & Stream Corner Safe...



                          Does anybody know of something else out there that is a lot like that product? In other words, designed to fit in a corner, and designed to hold 2-3 long guns and 2-3 pistols, and deep enough to handle guns with pistols grips and optics? The choices out there seem pretty much non-existent, I might try to have a metal shop fabricate something.


                          this is what I use. small enough footprint to be behind bedroom wall cabinet. access is with SILENT illuminated keypad. however if optics and pistol grip are used probably store only one long gun. this is not fire rated either.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            SonofWWIIDI
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 21583

                            Sorry, not sorry.
                            🎺

                            Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              SonofWWIIDI
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 21583

                              Sorry, not sorry.
                              🎺

                              Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                JDay
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19393

                                Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
                                No seat cushion?
                                Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                                The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1