Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR15, Piston vs Direct Impingement: An observation.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    tonyxcom
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2011
    • 6397

    I bet the class armorer had an extra gas block for it, just in case, too.

    Comment

    • #47
      geoint
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2014
      • 4385

      Originally posted by vintagearms
      I suspect home built guns, froglube, or weak ammo could be some of the causes. I previously owned one of the original pws piston ar's and while nice, really did nothing special over the di version. Instead of cleaning the bcg u had to clean the piston.
      I just got to run my MK114 upper for the first time and ya cleaning the piston was a PITA. I know you dont really have to clean it but seeing it dirty just bugged me. I cant believe Im saying this but I think Id rather clean a BCG than have to clean that piston again.
      Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

      I Hate California.

      Comment

      • #48
        tonyxcom
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2011
        • 6397

        I was looking at a family members HK416 the other day and the BCG was like a piece of jewelry. The bolt was spring loaded in the carrier and was smooth as butter. Was accurate as heck too. Was shooting it at 650y with a T1, using the foliage as hold over reference and getting repeated hits.
        Last edited by tonyxcom; 02-03-2016, 3:25 PM.

        Comment

        • #49
          spyde12
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2014
          • 1647

          Originally posted by geoint
          I just got to run my MK114 upper for the first time and ya cleaning the piston was a PITA. I know you dont really have to clean it but seeing it dirty just bugged me. I cant believe Im saying this but I think Id rather clean a BCG than have to clean that piston again.
          Serious question and not rhetorical.

          How much different is the piston on the MK114 compared to an Adams Arms? Grant it, I haven't gone through a torture test with it. However, both the BCG and the piston assembly for my AA is barely dirty.

          Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #50
            bigdawg86
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 3554

            Originally posted by spyde12
            Serious question and not rhetorical.

            How much different is the piston on the MK114 compared to an Adams Arms? Grant it, I haven't gone through a torture test with it. However, both the BCG and the piston assembly for my AA is barely dirty.

            Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
            I second this... 500 rounds from the class barely dusted the piston assembly with residue. I have Adam's Arms

            Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #51
              Nguyen
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 3000

              Originally posted by spyde12
              Serious question and not rhetorical.

              How much different is the piston on the MK114 compared to an Adams Arms? Grant it, I haven't gone through a torture test with it. However, both the BCG and the piston assembly for my AA is barely dirty.

              Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
              i have both mk116 and adams arms...

              You just need to wipe down the piston. Adams arms is a bit easier since you dont need to take out the BCG to wipe down the piston rod.


              "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
              - Dianne Feinstein

              Comment

              • #52
                Nguyen
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 3000

                Originally posted by geoint
                I just got to run my MK114 upper for the first time and ya cleaning the piston was a PITA. I know you dont really have to clean it but seeing it dirty just bugged me. I cant believe Im saying this but I think Id rather clean a BCG than have to clean that piston again.
                It doesn't need to be squeaky clean...


                "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
                - Dianne Feinstein

                Comment

                • #53
                  Ronin2
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 5563

                  Originally posted by hermosabeach
                  QUOTE-
                  The range masters changed a few gas blocks and rebuilt a few BCG's


                  OP-
                  What class?
                  I have attended a decent amount of courses.....across a number of schools....


                  I have seen all sorts of firearms break.... but never an instructor rebuild a BCG....


                  What school? Website?
                  I was thinking the same thing... Thirty students...?? How many instructors?
                  Last edited by Ronin2; 02-03-2016, 5:44 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    meno377
                    ?????
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jul 2013
                    • 4911

                    Originally posted by bigdawg86
                    So I took a 2 day carbine course this weekend. It was an absolute blast, but the weather was insane. Freezing cold, non stop heavy rain, occasional hurricane force winds.

                    There were about 30 people in the class. Weapons systems range from high end to low end. Most people were average joes. There were a few guys in full kit, with the most insane **** hanging off the front of their rifles.

                    The first day weather wasn't horrible, saw a few people problems with some rifles but overall nothing major.

                    Day two the weather was insane. Freezing cold, non stop heavy rain, occasional hurricane force winds. Every rifle was sopping wet and filty. There were about 6-8 guns that couldn't run more than a few rounds without an jam, FTF, FTE, etc. The range masters changed a few gas blocks and rebuilt a few BCG's. They still had problems and had to oil these guns every few rounds it seems. These were all DI guns. Most notably, they were the guns of the mall ninja's... in hind site all there gear was probably airsoft haha.

                    It was just an odd occurrence to me, and a real eye opener for the others that couldn't get their guns to work. So why only problems with the DI guns?

                    All my friends including myself had piston guns and they ran perfectly.
                    Considering the military has used DI versions for over 40 years with success, and you consider it an eye opener attending a two day course?
                    Originally posted by Fjold
                    I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
                    Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
                    -Milton Friedman


                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      spyde12
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • 1647

                      Originally posted by Nguyen
                      i have both mk116 and adams arms...

                      You just need to wipe down the piston. Adams arms is a bit easier since you dont need to take out the BCG to wipe down the piston rod.
                      Yea, it's pretty easy to assemble and disassemble. Outside of some minor dust particles, the BCG and piston assembly stays really clean. Not bad for a $650 complete pistol upper.

                      Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        mif_slim
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 10089

                        Originally posted by GOLDEN GUN
                        Enough information here for me never to buy a piston setup

                        http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-rental-range/
                        LoL, article says that PSA worked as good as DD and others.... NO WAY!!!
                        Originally posted by Gottmituns
                        It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          bigdawg86
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • 3554

                          Originally posted by meno377
                          Considering the military has used DI versions for over 40 years with success, and you consider it an eye opener attending a two day course?
                          The military is wrong and the piston gods are right.

                          Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            ZombieKiller
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 2555

                            Rebuilt gas blocks on the range?

                            C'mon.... Lol.


                            Sent from my fire using smoke signals
                            "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory...."

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              nate76239
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 1636

                              Originally posted by ZombieKiller
                              Rebuilt gas blocks on the range?

                              C'mon.... Lol.
                              Sounds like some Frankenbuild ARs with budget parts if it happened, I wonder what they charged for the replacement gas blocks

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                saki302
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 7191

                                Originally posted by GOLDEN GUN
                                Enough information here for me never to buy a piston setup
                                .. unless it's made by H&K

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1