Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

your opinion background checks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    AceGirlsHusband
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 2651

    I have no problem with a background check as a prerequisite to firearm ownership... but I do not think the state or the federal government should charge for it - anymore than they can charge a tax to vote.

    Comment

    • #47
      nedro
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2014
      • 4130

      Originally posted by Angrysnarf
      We in CA for the most part are used to these things

      In my dads younger years he would be able to go into a gun shop buy what he liked and take it home right then and there

      Now most of us younger buyers are used to background checks, having to go to ffl dealers for a ppt and the dreaded 10 day waiting period

      As I was starting dros for my hawk982 yesterday my lgs and I spoke about it and agreed for us Californians obamas bs won't affect us one bit. We are used to this bs.

      He is trying to bring California gun laws nationwide and that sucks. I know I'd be furious to live in one of the better states and this have be trust upon thee
      When I was a kid, we all went to Big Basin and started shooting .22 cal rifles towards the creek. Ranger stopped (we were parked on the side of the road shooting away from the road) and informed us that were weren't supposed to shoot in a state park. So we put the guns away and drove into the main section of the park and had a fun day.
      I don't think it would've gone the same way today.

      Comment

      • #48
        Wordupmybrotha
        From anotha motha
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2013
        • 6965

        Originally posted by Angrysnarf
        We in CA for the most part are used to these things

        In my dads younger years he would be able to go into a gun shop buy what he liked and take it home right then and there

        Now most of us younger buyers are used to background checks, having to go to ffl dealers for a ppt and the dreaded 10 day waiting period

        As I was starting dros for my hawk982 yesterday my lgs and I spoke about it and agreed for us Californians obamas bs won't affect us one bit. We are used to this bs.

        He is trying to bring California gun laws nationwide and that sucks. I know I'd be furious to live in one of the better states and this have be trust upon thee
        Originally posted by nedro
        When I was a kid, we all went to Big Basin and started shooting .22 cal rifles towards the creek. Ranger stopped (we were parked on the side of the road shooting away from the road) and informed us that were weren't supposed to shoot in a state park. So we put the guns away and drove into the main section of the park and had a fun day.
        I don't think it would've gone the same way today.
        What the H. happened? Liberals back then were into guns too, right?

        Comment

        • #49
          safewaysecurity
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2010
          • 6166

          I'm disappointed in a lot of people in here. EVEN IF background checks would save lives ( and they don't they probably cost lives ) I would still oppose them. I hate this ridiculous notion that rights should just be infringed and restricted upon no matter what so long as there is some sort of life saving net benefit. This was a country founded on the notion that YES liberty is dangerous. But that we would rather DIE as free men than to live a long life of indentured servitude. It wasn't "Give me liberty unless that liberty even slightly increases the chance of certain negative effects and maybe infringements are ok. " No it was "Give me Liberty or Give me Death".

          I personally tho have no problem if a private seller voluntary chooses to only sell their firearm if a background check is completed first. Heck I might even do that depending on the circumstance ( of course in a state where no background check is legal ). Maybe for a friend or someone who seems cool I wouldn't do one but for someone I feel a bit iffy about I either make them go through a background check or don't do the sale at all.
          Originally posted by cudakidd
          I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
          ^

          Comment

          • #50
            major burnout
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2010
            • 3860

            Originally posted by glockman19
            Law abiding people should have no problems with a background check. I've had one done for every firearm I own, and 10 day wait, and multiple times for CCW and Renewal.
            What is stopping you from commiting a crime tomorrow? Is it your last background check?

            Pretend for 1 minute that you are a bad guy who wants to hurt someone, could you find a way to get a gun?

            In theory I agree with background checks. The reality is background checks dont do squat.
            Calguns- redacted more than Hillarys bengazi emails.

            Originally posted by rattlesnake_nm
            10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
            Originally posted by RickD427
            In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.

            Comment

            • #51
              JDay
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2008
              • 19393

              Originally posted by major burnout
              What is stopping you from commiting a crime tomorrow? Is it your last background check?

              Pretend for 1 minute that you are a bad guy who wants to hurt someone, could you find a way to get a gun?

              In theory I agree with background checks. The reality is background checks dont do squat.
              They work as intended. To make it harder and a hassle to purchase firearms.
              Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

              The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

              Comment

              • #52
                glockman19
                Banned
                • Jun 2007
                • 10486

                Originally posted by major burnout
                What is stopping you from commiting a crime tomorrow? Is it your last background check?

                Pretend for 1 minute that you are a bad guy who wants to hurt someone, could you find a way to get a gun?

                In theory I agree with background checks. The reality is background checks dont do squat.
                What is stopping you from committing a crime tomorrow?
                Nothing.

                Is it your last background check?
                NO

                Pretend for 1 minute that you are a bad guy who wants to hurt someone, could you find a way to get a gun?
                YES

                Comment

                • #53
                  morfeeis
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 7605

                  Two points.

                  The poll has changed and is worded in such a way that you have to be very careful in casting your new vote.

                  Looking at the CGN poll i can see why the anti freedom side is winning, it's hard to win a war for your rights when 1/3-1/4 of those on your side are fighting against you.
                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                  Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                  You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Rainbow Warrior
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 10501

                    Originally posted by kmas
                    Besides all the obvious reasons, a few personal experience ones:

                    1. Former neighbors kid - violent in school - beat up students with anything that came to hand.
                    Attacked a teacher.
                    Police were not called, - in order to "save his future"
                    After High School, it was not in the public records - so at 18+ he buys a gun -
                    shoots and cripples 2 people.

                    What if your child, spouse, mother was crippled?

                    Exhaustive Background Checks should include school records of mental or violence issues.

                    2. When living in Oklahoma many years ago, a young man bought a gun at a gun show (no background check).
                    He'd lost his job, and coming from the "wrong side of town" decided to rob a store.
                    2 customers and the store owner scarred for life, but still alive.

                    Yes, we need background checks - exhaustive ones

                    And, also, yes, vote for Trump - look at his great 2nd Amendment agenda:

                    https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...endment-rights
                    How liberal of you, you must be lost the Clay Aiken fan board is down the dial a bit.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      vliberatore
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 10055

                      I support allowing private citizens to access the NICS system.
                      Originally posted by fighterpilot562
                      Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        model63
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 310

                        Originally posted by vliberatore
                        I support allowing private citizens to access the NICS system.
                        I've thought about this as well for sellers as a matter of conscious and property rights (sellers can choose to require it if they want to remotely sell or meet in a parking lot, etc.) , but have struggled with the implementation as you might as well go to an FFL LGS. In the end it is a feel good motion.

                        I think better tools (encrypted technology or mission impossible self-destruct checks that the FBI, DHS etc. b-tches about to Silicon Valley that terrorist apparently use) that don't infringe too much on rights of privacy might work.

                        IMO The real meat and potatoes is taking the profitability out of government created black markets like our drug trade, etc.

                        BTW Overland Park...nice area... went there to visit Sprint for work one day...
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Bert Gamble
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 3230

                          Originally posted by JDay
                          So you're saying that you would support a law making solitary confinement mandatory for everyone, for safety?
                          Oh Lord!!
                          WARNING: This post will most likely contain statements that are offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense, and or maturity.

                          Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
                          _____________________________________________

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            AcmeFusionCompany
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2015
                            • 14

                            Originally posted by Bert Gamble
                            If there were a background check that would stop violence, I would gladly support it. I am willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, but I am not willing to make sacrifices to advance this ridicules agenda.
                            This is how I feel as well. I actually assume that the CA system provides some value and likely prevents some amount of gun-related violence. The issue is that it can't ever be proven that it works (i.e. how many people who would have committed a violent act could not do so because of the risk of or a failed background check?).
                            However the checks have to be efficient, the criteria has to be explicit and there cannot be any retrospective revisiting of the criteria to penalize current gun owners.
                            An example is the proposed check for a mental health condition. What exactly is the criteria for that? Mental health issues are typically non-quantifiable. Do individuals get blocked at the whim of the government?
                            Or the proposed 'you need a license to sell guns if you are deemed a gun dealer'. What is a gun dealer? Someone who sells two guns per year? Kamela says as few as one depending on other (undefined) criteria. Is it at the whim of the government?
                            It's like saying you'll get a speeding ticket if you're 'driving too fast'. Um huh?
                            A

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              AcmeFusionCompany
                              Junior Member
                              • Apr 2015
                              • 14

                              Originally posted by Bert Gamble
                              If there were a background check that would stop violence, I would gladly support it. I am willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, but I am not willing to make sacrifices to advance this ridicules agenda.
                              This is how I feel as well. I actually assume that the CA system provides some value and likely prevents some amount of gun-related violence. The issue is that it can't ever be proven that it works (i.e. how many people who would have committed a violent act could not do so because of the risk of or a failed background check?). Since it can't be proven to work, the default behavior is to keep tightening the criteria until it is proven, which becomes a viscous cycle.
                              Notwithstanding that concern, the checks have to be efficient, the criteria has to be explicit and there cannot be any retrospective revisiting of the criteria to penalize current gun owners.
                              An example is the proposed check for a mental health condition. What exactly is the criteria for that? Mental health issues are typically non-quantifiable. Do individuals get blocked at the whim of the government?
                              Or the proposed 'you need a license to sell guns if you are deemed a gun dealer'. What is a gun dealer? Someone who sells two guns per year? Kamela says as few as one depending on other (undefined) criteria. Is it at the whim of the government?
                              It's like saying you'll get a speeding ticket if you're 'driving too fast'. Um huh?
                              A

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Joseph Lee
                                Member
                                • May 2013
                                • 356

                                Originally posted by morfeeis
                                Two points.

                                The poll has changed and is worded in such a way that you have to be very careful in casting your new vote.

                                Looking at the CGN poll i can see why the anti freedom side is winning, it's hard to win a war for your rights when 1/3-1/4 of those on your side are fighting against you.
                                Frustrating, huh? I really don't think it's going to get better here in my lifetime.
                                Your permission slip is only an election away.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1