Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Home Owners Insurance Discrim

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    THBailey
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 737

    The NRA has a gun coverage program for members. Don't know much about it other than they send out a lot of junk mail about it.
    THBailey


    As Will Rogers once said:
    "Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."

    Comment

    • #17
      DEPUTYBILL
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 875

      You also might ask about any policy regarding supplying list with serial numbers to the insurance company.
      Long ago I was asking about that. Some companies told me they needed a complete list of all firearms for their records.(I passed on these companies)
      Some only needed information if a particular firearm was valued above a certain price.
      I also ran into companies that excluded RAW's from being insured.

      Comment

      • #18
        IVC
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2010
        • 17640

        Originally posted by The Gleam
        They only ever ask about firearms for contemplating insurable content values, ...
        I would NOT assume this, even though it's most likely true.

        You absolutely have to VERIFY why they are asking about firearms. If they are using it for their risk modeling and you answer "no," then later it turns out you *did* own guns at the time you answered "no," they can deny your claim even if you paid premiums.

        In case of insurance companies you better read all the paperwork and you better be sure that ALL statements that you make on the SIGNED document are fully correct at the time you sign them.
        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #19
          The Gleam
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Feb 2011
          • 13460

          Originally posted by IVC
          I would NOT assume this, even though it's most likely true.

          You absolutely have to VERIFY why they are asking about firearms. If they are using it for their risk modeling and you answer "no," then later it turns out you *did* own guns at the time you answered "no," they can deny your claim even if you paid premiums.
          Does anyone assume anything when speaking of contracts? Fools maybe. Only an idiot wouldn't ask why anyway; that would be the natural progression of such a conversation if the question were pitched to anyone on Calguns by their insurance company.

          As far as denying a claim, whether asked in the lead-up to binding coverage or not, if the eventual policy issued does not contain any exclusions addressing liability in conjunction with firearms - it's not going to be denied (pending use of the firearm was not an illegal action, intentional or assualt. It must still be a negligent action. ). In this case, the application does not become part of the policy. That is inherent to Professional Liability risks, not an HO policy.
          -----------------------------------------------
          Originally posted by Librarian
          What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

          If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

          Comment

          • #20
            The Gleam
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2011
            • 13460

            Originally posted by DEPUTYBILL
            You also might ask about any policy regarding supplying list with serial numbers to the insurance company.
            Long ago I was asking about that. Some companies told me they needed a complete list of all firearms for their records.(I passed on these companies)
            Some only needed information if a particular firearm was valued above a certain price.
            I also ran into companies that excluded RAW's from being insured.
            Not so much anymore, but they will require that information if you have a loss/fire/stolen firearm.
            -----------------------------------------------
            Originally posted by Librarian
            What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

            If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

            Comment

            • #21
              DEPUTYBILL
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 875

              Originally posted by The Gleam
              Not so much anymore, but they will require that information if you have a loss/fire/stolen firearm.

              Best thing is to have list, photos, and /or video of all your property kept in a separate secure area.

              Comment

              • #22
                The Gleam
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2011
                • 13460

                Originally posted by DEPUTYBILL
                Best thing is to have list, photos, and /or video of all your property kept in a separate secure area.
                Always - and back-up copies at a separate location if possible.

                Fires burn all.
                -----------------------------------------------
                Originally posted by Librarian
                What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                Comment

                • #23
                  JDay
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19393

                  Originally posted by GillaFunk
                  Which covers....what...maybe 3 guns?
                  That might cover a rifle and it's optic.
                  Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                  The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    RedFord150
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 5665

                    Originally posted by glockman19
                    I would try State Farm, Farmers or Allstate.
                    ^^^I would skip Allstate. My experience with them is not great. I also believe they are not currently writing HO insurance in CA. I have been with Auto Club on my Primary residence for around 20 years and have been happy. I just switched to Nationwide on the rental property and they seem great. I think my Auto Club Policy only covered $2K on the standard policy. I increased to $5K on a 'Rider'. If I go over $5K, I had to get appraisals. I declined.

                    Originally posted by THBailey
                    The NRA has a gun coverage program for members. Don't know much about it other than they send out a lot of junk mail about it.
                    ^^^Lots of people say the NRA insurance is not great when you have a claim. Luckily, I have never had a claim. Also, some insurance companies limit the amount they will pay on a single gun. It is not always the total firearm limit. We all need to read the policies we buy and see what they actually cover.
                    God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      alfred1222
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 7331

                      Originally posted by GillaFunk
                      Which covers....what...maybe 3 guns?
                      3?!??? That covers 1/3 of a long range .308, maybe 1 AR
                      Originally posted by Kestryll
                      This guy is a complete and total idiot.
                      /thread.

                      ΦΑ

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        JDay
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19393

                        Allstate used a policy holders house in a commercial about how great their coverage was while at the same time denying their claim. They are shady.

                        Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                        The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          AreWeFree
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 4558

                          Originally posted by sholling
                          I've never had an insurance company ask. What I have come across is gun-friendly treatment from AAA and Safeco when I asked about riders.
                          +1 on safeco, check them out.

                          Everything is included in limit for personal property, didn't require or ask for separate schedule of specific items. Cash/coins/jewelry have a max coverage under base plan, firearms/electronics/instruments did not require documentation or extra fees.

                          Seems like a good company.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            duckman1
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 3786

                            "That's an interesting question, why are they asking?"

                            This is a great question to ask if you are unsure how to answer a question you are being asked for insurance. It allows you to discuss the reason for the question and ask for advice on how to answer. Always answer truthfully and be sure that you are answering the question they are asking.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              drifts1
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 1443

                              Originally posted by alfred1222
                              3?!??? That covers 1/3 of a long range .308, maybe 1 AR
                              Or 15 hi-points

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                GimpsUnlimited
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2013
                                • 1653

                                Originally posted by AreWeFree
                                +1 on safeco, check them out.

                                Everything is included in limit for personal property, didn't require or ask for separate schedule of specific items. Cash/coins/jewelry have a max coverage under base plan, firearms/electronics/instruments did not require documentation or extra fees.

                                Seems like a good company.
                                I have Safeco and loved them while it lasted. They had great rates and good firearm coverage (but they itemize it, very time consuming). Had a theft claim for under $4k and now I am being cancelled. Check around and that seems to be normal. Oh well, time to go insurance company shopping.
                                Lifetime NRA member.
                                --------------------------
                                Molon labe

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1