Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Virus undercounted

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SW1917
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2016
    • 791

    Then there's this

    New study finds coronavirus lockdowns dramatically cut traffic accidents and fatalities


    Traffic collisions are plummeting in several US cities
    Last edited by SW1917; 07-02-2020, 1:00 PM.

    Comment

    • #17
      jimmykan
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2008
      • 3103

      Originally posted by el chivo
      well there are billions of them on the tip of a finger so it's understandable
      Haha, I see what you did there...

      Comment

      • #18
        SAN compnerd
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • May 2009
        • 4725

        After virtually every pandemic in the past the CDC will recompile the data and scrutinize the counts which typically results in a downward revesion. H1N1 was revised down by 2/3.

        But with the dreaded wuflu I am to believe that even with all the clear over counting of cases as admitted by Dr. Birx, that we are under counting?

        Makes zero sense based on the science and data we know about how these things are measured.

        I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner at Ruth Chris that this is what happens about two years from now with wuflu.
        "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, 1824

        Originally posted by SAN compnerd
        When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.

        Comment

        • #19
          SW1917
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2016
          • 791

          Originally posted by SAN compnerd
          After virtually every pandemic in the past the CDC will recompile the data and scrutinize the counts which typically results in a downward revesion. H1N1 was revised down by 2/3.

          But with the dreaded wuflu I am to believe that even with all the clear over counting of cases as admitted by Dr. Birx, that we are under counting?

          Makes zero sense based on the science and data we know about how these things are measured.

          I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner at Ruth Chris that this is what happens about two years from now with wuflu.



          And thus the problem - claiming over count or under count at this time is ridiculous - it will be a YEAR or more till we have a definitive answer

          Comment

          • #20
            toro1
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 1574

            Originally posted by SW1917
            Then there's this

            New study finds coronavirus lockdowns dramatically cut traffic accidents and fatalities


            Traffic collisions are plummeting in several US cities
            https://qz.com/1822492/traffic-accid...-the-pandemic/
            If you read the first study it says crashes are down and it is silent on fatalities. Every other study I found seems to echo the same thing and has no numbers for 2020 fatalities. The article I linked is the only one I have found that had actual numbers.

            In thinking about it it seems very plausible traffic fatalities could go up while accidents decrease. When everyone is commuting there are many accidents but very few fatal. With fewer cars on the road speeds are up so any accident may have greater consequences.


            The above is speculation on my part and we will probably find out next year what really happened wrt to accidents because 2020 data may not be available until then

            Comment

            • #21
              duenor
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Mar 2007
              • 4617

              Originally posted by toro1
              If you read the first study it says crashes are down and it is silent on fatalities. Every other study I found seems to echo the same thing and has no numbers for 2020 fatalities. The article I linked is the only one I have found that had actual numbers.

              In thinking about it it seems very plausible traffic fatalities could go up while accidents decrease. When everyone is commuting there are many accidents but very few fatal. With fewer cars on the road speeds are up so any accident may have greater consequences.


              The above is speculation on my part and we will probably find out next year what really happened wrt to accidents because 2020 data may not be available until then
              that is my suspicion as well. in normal times, it was impossible for me to get really hurt driving home. the entire 1.5 hour commute never went faster than 40mph at the most. and if I was able to drive at 40 the whole time, I would be ecstatic by the time I got home.
              Entreprise Arms - FFL 07 manufacturer of CA-Legal FAL type rifles in Baldwin Park, CA.
              EAI IMBEL-FAL 7.62x51 NATO, CA Legal: $999 shipped www.entreprise.com
              SIG, Beretta, Glock, XD, HK Tritium GS sights

              "Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization."

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1